Fun song to mix! I have some more "creative" stuff I want to try, but here is my basic mix after a couple hours after work for two nights (note that I did not smash the bejeesus out of it, so feel free to use your volume knob
Edit: I made some balance/tone changes this morning, correcting some 2 AM mix decisions
And to balance things out in this thread, I'll review some mixes from above mine! (I will get more later, but I have to get up for a 15 hour work day in less than 6 hours...)
- There seems to be a lot of fighting from 100-300 hz. Cut some of that range from a few instruments, and it should clear up quite a bit!
- Great balances! Nothing seems too distracting from the story of the song.
- The rhythm guitars are kind of cloudy, and blending in with the bass. I had issues with this too. I think some high-passing on the guitars and cutting up the low mids on the bass could help
- Piano seems overpowering in the bridge section
- The macrodynamics aren't really there. The verses are pretty much the same volume as the choruses, so the choruses don't hit you like they should. The bridge is also pretty comparable to the last chorus, which reduces impact
- It sounds like a good rough mix, i.e., a faders-up mix. But it doesn't extend much past there.
- Balances between instruments are pretty good, nothing is too overpowering
- The vocals get lost a few times. Some careful compression and automation can fix that for sure!
- It's pretty muddy from 200 hz - 400 hz. Cutting some of that out of some instruments should help out quite a bit
- The bridge is nice and low, so the last chorus has some impact left in it!