Login / Register

Help me get some depth and warmth (that's what she said)
New Reply
Subscribe
not like this
27th June 2011
Old 27th June 2011
Gear maniac

Help me get some depth and warmth (that's what she said)

I'm the guitarist/recording guy in my band. I am getting pretty decent tracks and am getting better at creating width in a mix but I feel like I struggle with depth and warmth.

I really like "slick" production for rock music ala Green Day/Foo Fighters. Here is a song written and recorded last week on spec for a TV show. I fear that our production value is holding us back but we don't have funds to hire out the work.

Rip me a new one... I wanna get better. What don't you like about this song from a production/engineering standpoint?

http://db.tt/aZhBXJS
27th June 2011
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

The band and the vocals don't sound like they were recorded in the same room. Do you hear that? Particularly obvious in the chorus. Experiment with some verb and see what you get. Could just be a level problem too so maybe check that as well....
Good song.
Cheers
Phil

The Dome of Clement now available: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#

Minimal Cheese: www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
28th June 2011
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
The band and the vocals don't sound like they were recorded in the same room. Do you hear that? Particularly obvious in the chorus. Experiment with some verb and see what you get. Could just be a level problem too so maybe check that as well....
Good song.
Cheers
Phil
And???? How often are the vocals recorded in the same room as the band? Not that often. Nothing wrong with the vocal having a different treatment than the music(dry vocals are ok if it fits the song).

That being said, the vocals are too loud and the performance is not that good IMO. Also fx on the vocals would help as already mentioned(verb, delay, etc.).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search