Login / Register

Still not sure if I can actually sing that well (SoundCloud inside)....
New Reply
Subscribe
tooblueeyes
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear interested

Still not sure if I can actually sing that well (SoundCloud inside)....

I've been singing on an off in my makeshift studio for about a year (Logic, macbook pro and USB AT2020 mic), but still not sure if I can actually sing that well. I've done a few acoustic recordings with my friend playing guitar that I'm reasonably happy with and far too many recording against mediocre karaoke backing tracks on my own. Anyway just did this, actually a really good karaoke backing track, and thought I'd throw it out there for some constructive criticism:

http://soundcloud.com/tooblueeyes/dont-let-me-down

Here's just the vocals on their own:

http://soundcloud.com/tooblueeyes/dont-let-me-down-vocals-only

It was my first attempt at this song, recorded in my Ma & Pa's living room and one of the vocal tracks has the TV on in the background. It's not what you would call professionally engineered - more of a rough cut. Let me know what you guys think.....
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear maniac

You have some pitch and control problems, but you also have some character to your voice, which is really cool. I dig it. I think your voice would work really well for an indie rock kind of thing. I'd be interested to hear what you sound like singing some of your own material. Keep it up, man.
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear nut

yah I def could dig your vocals on some more stuff...

I think with the right guy working on the vocal chain will help you out as well, I like this but with the doubling of the vocals it makes it easier to blend vocal sounds... maybe try and and really nail the vocal and the vibe of the track with just one vocal then see if you need two throughout the whole track to make it work.

I like the backing track of this song lol.

Anyways as for your voice I would say it sounds good just don't over accentuate some words and parts of words.... down hun is what it sounds like your saying in the chorus. But I really like the what sounds like a british influence or accent in your vocal.

Keep it up

www.joeylea.com
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing wrong with your voice - you don't need to ask people if you sing - just keep on rocking the free world brother... This is the last place to ask these questions because most of the guys are just nerds that compress the two buss and read tape op...

Record one of your own songs and don't let me down...

/Administrator of Internet

ONLY THE RICH CAN AFFORD TAPE
tooblueeyes
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear interested

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It really helps. Yep I gotta work on a few things still I think, not least pitch control and better enunciation. Perhaps was a tad too much power in this recording . It was one of the first times I'd tried to record with a bit of compression switched on while tracking. I'm just using built in logic compressor and am leaning towards thinking I need to have light compression switched on as a matter of course now.

Joey: yep you are right about the double tracking. I do feel a bit compelled to double track as it tends to smooth out imperfections. I think you're right though that I perhaps need to spend more time trying to nail a single vocal and just bring in anything extra where needed. Though I didn't use it on this one I've done this a little with the free ADT plugin from (( vacuumsound )). I've used this ADT tape delay simulator on another cover with one quieter track panned hard left and right with the ADT and then with my best take louder in the center. That seems to work quite well and the doubling effect does not sound quite so obvious. been looking into the Apogee One and the Mackie blackjack as a way to improve my vocal chain. Built in preamps in my USB AT2020 are probably not the best and my Tascam US-122L is probably not much better when coupled with my non USB AT2020.

I like what you've done with City Folk so far, I've pre-ordered and downloaded the FLACs of the five you tracks you have up there on bandcamp. Keep up the good work dude!

British influence: well I did grow up about a mile away from Strawberry Fields. Haven't been back there for ages and was sad to hear that it closed down a few years back. I'll try and post a couple more cover tracks I've done soon for some more constructive criticism.
tooblueeyes
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear interested

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search