Just to clarify, I'll list my setup:
- Room Mics - 2 BlueBirds, 10 feet behind the drummer, XY pattern
- Overheads - 2 Oktava MK-012, 5 feet over center of kit, XY pattern
- Snare Top - SM57
- Snare Bottom - SM57
- Kick - D112, inside drum
- Rack Tom - Sennheiser e609
- Floor Tom - Sennheiser e609
All of these are going through API 3124 preamps.
Yes, the drummer is riding a big thin ride cymbal in the first few bars.
I went back and listened to my Overheads and Rooms.
The Overheads were kinda weird sounding to me. Did I pan them too far?
As for the rooms, I think maybe the snare was poking out too much. So, I couldn't really turn them up (relative to the close mics) to hear the cymbals/ambiance without getting that trashy snare sound. I tried throwing a fast limiter on the room mics with about a 160ms release and shaving off about 3dB. I think this gives the rooms a much more round and big sound, and I was able to turn them up a good bit more.
Here are some clips;
- Rooms without limiting
- Rooms with about 3dB fast limiting
- 2nd Drum Mix (with limited rooms)
Thanks for the input fellas. Keep it coming!