New Reply
Subscribe
kevinlaurence1
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Head

Question Piano-pop song Mix Critique & Advice

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to mixing and actually just starting working with Logic Express 9 after using Garageband. "When Zoey Loves You" is a piano-driven song I recently wrote, recorded and mixed and would greatly appreciate any constructive criticism on any aspect of the mix/production.

Thanks,

Kevin

***New Mix/Master posted below on 2/19***
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 When Zoey Loves You (Mix 5).mp3 (3.69 MB, 85 views)

Last edited by kevinlaurence1; 19th February 2011 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: ***New Mix/Master posted below***
kevinlaurence1
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Head

Hello again,

Just wanted to check up and see if anyone has had an opportunity to listen to my mix. Again, I would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback and advice on how to improve the mix in any way.

Thanks,

Kevin
kevinlaurence1
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Head

Well,

I have since re-mixed and mastered the track. Hopefully, someone can take a listen now and give some feedback pretty pretty please?!

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Zoey Mix 10 (master).mp3 (3.69 MB, 43 views)
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to andyspiller
Hi Kevin

I have a couple of observations. I think the sound is nice.

My main comment would be that the string/flute interlude seems to be divorced from the rest of the song. It has no context. The sonic template is lusher with its inclusion (certainly the strings) but I feel this should carry on, and give the song more dynamism and build.

I wonder also if you can create more tension with the verses being completely dry and in your face (This would really complement your vocal tone) before expanding out again to the "Band image".

Regards

Andy
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
Hi Kevin

I have a couple of observations. I think the sound is nice.

My main comment would be that the string/flute interlude seems to be divorced from the rest of the song. It has no context. The sonic template is lusher with its inclusion (certainly the strings) but I feel this should carry on, and give the song more dynamism and build.

I wonder also if you can create more tension with the verses being completely dry and in your face (This would really complement your vocal tone) before expanding out again to the "Band image".

Regards

Andy
Thanks so much Andy. As far as the string interlude goes, would you recommended bringing in some strings earlier in the song or just keep it going after the interlude? I will also take your advice on the vocals in the verses as well.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear addict

Hi Kevin

I feel the song needs a bit more overall dynamic - it seems to be that the 2-part string image will definitely give it a lot more kick. Whether this is more rif-oriented or padlike is of course down to you :-) Bringing the strings in earlier lends continuity to its current inclusion e.g. in the intro and then back in 2nd verse or Chorus and then carry on perhaps?

I just feel you need to lift things more.

I also would like some justification for the flute at the moment - it is not clear what the benefit is....

This is just my opinion so please feel absolutely free to ignore it, most people do

Best regards

Andy
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear addict

Hi Kevin

A couple of more points

The Cellos sound quite late to me.
The Piano behind the Flutes could be louder (IMO The Flutes could go)
The Snare seems to be to the right of the mix in the chorus
Is there any chance of spreading the Piano image more as the only width perspective is being supplied by the High Hat.

Regards

Andy
kevinlaurence1
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Kevin

A couple of more points

The Cellos sound quite late to me.
The Piano behind the Flutes could be louder (IMO The Flutes could go)
The Snare seems to be to the right of the mix in the chorus
Is there any chance of spreading the Piano image more as the only width perspective is being supplied by the High Hat.

Regards

Andy
Thanks so much for the advice Andy. I greatly appreciate it. Well, I have made some changes to the mix including taking some of the reverb off the vocals in the verses, centering the snare a bit, and raising the piano in the interlude section. I have not added any other strings as of yet but I will get to work on those shortly. I also spread the piano a bit as well. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. In the mean time, you can hear the improvements(hopefully) below.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Zoey Mix 11 (master).mp3 (3.69 MB, 23 views)
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear interested

Talking Great Stuff

This is great and has a lot of radio ready potential. Very "Owl City". I love the color of the vocal sound you're getting. Sounds as if there are large reverbs on a lot of things which may be washing out the overall picture a bit.

Also, from a production standpoint, IMHO, there needs to be more contrast. You've done some of that with the flutes in one section, but there needs to be more textures coming in and out for it to be "radio ready" Also think about some other vocals in answering or harmonies to this end. Overall, fantastic!

Js
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear maniac

What plug-ins/inserts in Logic did you use for the vocals (EQ,Comp,Delay,Reverb,Modulation,etc..)

thanks

the vocals are AWESOME
kevinlaurence1
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionautix View Post
This is great and has a lot of radio ready potential. Very "Owl City". I love the color of the vocal sound you're getting. Sounds as if there are large reverbs on a lot of things which may be washing out the overall picture a bit.

Also, from a production standpoint, IMHO, there needs to be more contrast. You've done some of that with the flutes in one section, but there needs to be more textures coming in and out for it to be "radio ready" Also think about some other vocals in answering or harmonies to this end. Overall, fantastic!

Js
Thanks so much. I am currently in the process of recording some more strings/organ/moog synth arrangements to add texture. Should have the revised song later tonight. I appreciate the support.
kevinlaurence1
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Latulippe View Post
What plug-ins/inserts in Logic did you use for the vocals (EQ,Comp,Delay,Reverb,Modulation,etc..)

thanks

the vocals are AWESOME
Thanks!

I started with the Male Ambient Lead Vocal Preset
-MaleLV EQ
-Lead Vocal Compressor
-Soft Limiting
-LVOCSpread Ensemble
-PlatinumVerb

I just went in a made some slight tweaks when necessary. Hope this helps.
kevinlaurence1
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Head

Attached is the new version of the song. I have added many textures including Cinematic strings, electric piano, and a moog. Please let me know what you think and as always, suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Zoey V2 Mix 3 (master).mp3 (3.69 MB, 23 views)
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear addict

Hi Kevin - I have uploaded a version highlighting where your themes could be reinforced - hope you don't mind. I still think you could be braver with the dry wet contrast in the Verses

Regards

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Zoey_AddStrings.mp3 (7.09 MB, 16 views)
kevinlaurence1
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Head

Question

Quote:
Hi Kevin - I have uploaded a version highlighting where your themes could be reinforced - hope you don't mind. I still think you could be braver with the dry wet contrast in the Verses

Regards

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to add some themes to the song. I will take some of your suggestions and see what I can put together. Aside from the song itself, are there any other suggestions anyone may have regarding the mix/master? I would like to be finished and release the project in the next few days. Again, thanks so much for your help.

Kevin
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear addict

Hi Kevin

I can send you a midifile and you can adjust the note velocities to your library if you like. Make the Vocal just a tad louder when the full band is playing so that it has a similar perspective to when it's just Piano/Vocal.

Drop the flutes a bit to bring out the Cellos and Violins in their lead section and make sure the vocal is string when it reenters.

Otherwise go for it.

Best regards

Andy
kevinlaurence1
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Kevin

I can send you a midifile and you can adjust the note velocities to your library if you like. Make the Vocal just a tad louder when the full band is playing so that it has a similar perspective to when it's just Piano/Vocal.

Drop the flutes a bit to bring out the Cellos and Violins in their lead section and make sure the vocal is string when it reenters.

Otherwise go for it.

Best regards

Andy
Hey Andy,

Well, I finally decided to just leave the arrangement as it stands. I personally like the contrast between the minimal arrangement in the verses to the much bigger sound of the chorus. I dried up the vocals a bit in the verses as you suggested, and made some other minor changes as well to the overall mix and master. Hopefully this is the final master and I can get it out to everyone...

Again, your help has been so greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 When Zoey Loves You.mp3 (3.69 MB, 17 views)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search