Critique This Cover of Lay It Down - Ratt
Roccisano1
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
Gear nut

Critique This Cover of Lay It Down - Ratt

I had some teenage kids come in the studio and record this 80's Ratt Song - Lay It Down..would appreciate some opinions finishing the mix..
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Lay_It_Down.mp3 (3.74 MB, 830 views)
18th January 2011
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Head

It really sounds "of the period". All you need is the spandex and big hair. There are only a few things I'd change.

First, the whispered vocal at the very end of the bridge needs to come up a bit more or given a bit more space to give it more clarity - what he's saying there was lost; and I even tried to hear it on headphones.

Second, the guitar solo could go a titch further back in the mix - right now it's really in your face - but this is a taste thing. You could probably leave it right where is is and it would also be OK enough.

Third, there's a lot of reverb in the mix - it places things pretty far into the background. If this is what you're going for, fine - something like this can provide contrast in an album. Otherwise, I'd reduce the reverb to move things forward a bit (again, assuming you're not going totally for a late-eighties vibe, in which case keep it the same because that kind of reverb is really late-eighties).

Finally, and most importantly (at least to me), the snare seems really loud with respect to the rest of the drum kit. Again, if you're going for the late eighties vibe, the huge, gated snare sound is the way to go - but you might want to tone it down a titch. Or, you might want to do something to make the sound of the kick and (especially) the toms match the snare a bit more. I also don't like the snare's tone - it seems a bit too midrangy to me.

But really, other than the thing about the vocal, the rest of these are minor quibbles - the mix sounds pretty good (in an eighties sort of way).
Roccisano1
19th January 2011
Old 19th January 2011
Gear nut

We were definitely trying to shoot for the 80's thing drum wise..but maybe pulling off some verb would help bring it into this century..I appreciate you taking the time to respond and look forward to some more critiques.

I'll see what we can do with the toms and kick to match the snare better..and pull back the solo a db or 2.

As far as spandex and big hair...these guys are already wearin it..It was like they stepped right of the bus from 1987...clothes hair and all...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Critique This Cover of Lay It Down - Ratt-4984451957_c8a601f35b_m.jpg  
19th January 2011
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Back the vox off 1 or 1.5 db and add some 80s verb to it. It's too dry and forward.

Bring the backing vox up.

The drums are spot on.

Otherwise, I loved it. One of my faves next to Round and Round
Roccisano1
19th January 2011
Old 19th January 2011
Gear nut

Thanx bitman ...what do you recommend for verb...plate..hall..???? just curious
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search