Grade Me! GRADE ME!!!
Messiah
Thread Starter
#1
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Grade Me! GRADE ME!!!



Ok, this is a tune I'm working on of MY OWN.

Firstly I like to know how folks categorize my music because I always hear things that are unexpected, which I like, that sometimes helps me to change my perspective...


BUT THE MAIN POINT OF THIS IS;

Put me in control of someone else's song and I can nail every aspect objectively...
Let me do my own thing and I can't see the woods for the trees.


I'd like someone feedback on this track on any aspect you care to make a comment on.
Recording.
Mix.
Choice of sounds.
Song.
Vocals (be kind, it is me...).
Anything.

I haven't actually hit a wall with it yet, but I know I will.

The mix overall could do with brightening a touch but I like to leave this to mastering rather than me overdoing it.
I just like to make it groove, rock and slam. The mastering guy can make it shine.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Glorius 1.mp3 (3.98 MB, 206 views)
#2
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
zemlin's Avatar
 

The first thing I noticed is the drums are panned WAY wide. If this is the effect you want, fine. I try to create an image of a drum kit - this band would need 7 drummers because nobody has arms long enough to reach from one end to the other.

I only had time for a quick listen on crappy speakers - nothing else jumped out at me - it is a bit dark, but a good mastering job might be all it needs.
#3
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

The mix sounds a little "pushed back" to me (you mentioned SLAM, and I was waiting for it...), but mastering will fix this. I'm a big fan of wide drums, but my drums are usually wider where yours are narrow (overheads, room) and narrow where yours are wider (toms). I think it works.

I'd personally like to be wrapped in that chorus guitar on the left. Double it and pan 'em hard, and put that Tom Morello-like wicky-wah stuff somewhere in between, and make it more ambient.

There's some grit in the bridge guitar that I don't like...sounds too much like crackling, kind of distracting.

I don't like the sound of the bass drum. Just doesn't do it for me, don't know what else to say.

The singing is good, dude! A litle pitchy at places, and maybe lacking a tiiiny bit of energy in certain places, but other than that, I think you sound great for the tune.

I dig the song. Good parts, and good harmonies too.
#4
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #4
Gear nut
 
AtlantaPowerPop's Avatar
 

I like the drums panned wide. Didn't like the grating guitar in the chorus, though. It was kinda fatiguing. I think the clean arpeggiated guitar would sound better dirtied up a little, however.
Messiah
Thread Starter
#5
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
I'd personally like to be wrapped in that chorus guitar on the left. Double it and pan 'em hard, and put that Tom Morello-like wicky-wah stuff somewhere in between, and make it more ambient.
Do you mean double track it or copy it over and delay it a bit?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
There's some grit in the bridge guitar that I don't like...sounds too much like crackling, kind of distracting.
Whereabouts do you mean? Time?



Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
The singing is good, dude! A litle pitchy at places, and maybe lacking a tiiiny bit of energy in certain places, but other than that, I think you sound great for the tune.
Thanks. Every track I do I have the intention of getting someone else to sing it so I tend not to get over analytical of what I do, I just try and get the vibe across.
The lead vocal is one track, one take (usually take two as I set the level during take one!).


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
I dig the song. Good parts, and good harmonies too.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
#6
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
dim light's Avatar
 

Sounds like you idolize the devil like I do! Great song and a tribute to 666 the number of the beast. Keep it up!
#7
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

You can double track it, or delay it, either way will work. Double tracking might end up being a little meatier. Delaying is quick and painless, but watch out for phasing/timing issues.

The bridge of your song comes in at around 2:12, and lasts for about a minute. I'm talking about that guitar on the right. Sounds cheap, like digital clipping or something. Pretty distracting and unappealing to me.

I like when the chorus kicks back in after the bridge, kinda reminds me of "Louder than Love" for some reason...
#8
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #8
Gear nut
 
opus's Avatar
 

I like it! The kick I would mess with a little. Neds more clack. The guitars are cool but I dont like the heavier guitar. Needs more girth, more milky INMO. The vocals are awsome. How did you get the distorted vocal sound on the chorus? I like that sound alot.
#9
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

What a great song! This is one of the best songs I've heard on here.

I think I'm cool with everything, but think the mix is lacking a bit.

In the beginning, the toms are too "wide". There should be something else that sit's out on the sides and the toms should come in a touch. They're taking away from the song, distracting.

Then the OH's need to slam in, and the bass should come up some, and the guitars need to be rockin.

Then back to the wide gtr's with the tom's in a little. The snare needs to cut through here too, crack a little more.

I think the arrangement is killer, and the song is tracked well. It's all there, just the mix is a bit weak.

I do like the effect on the vox at the beginning on the "bridge", good call on that one.
#10
10th December 2005
Old 10th December 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
ersheff's Avatar
 

I'd have to agree with one of the last posts that this is one of the best tracks musically speaking that I've heard on here.
There's only a couple of things I would recommend. First of all, all sections are musically cool, and I especially dig the vibe in the first couple of verses and choruses, but the bridge seems to arrive a little too abruptly. If that's the effect you're going for that's fine, but I think that the way it is overemphasizes the simplicity of the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus out form. I'd agree that going back into the chorus from the bridge is cool though.
(Hey, I just started the track again and wanted to mention that some of the harmonic movements in the verse are totally cool. Also, the fact that the distorted guitar part on the chorus stays the same over chords that change under it is great.)
Secondly, you might want to go for some more unique sounds. What is already solid from a song and sound standpoint could be made into something great with some unorthodox methods interjected i.e. play up the synthy sound at the end or trash up the drums a little
Messiah
Thread Starter
#11
11th December 2005
Old 11th December 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
I like it! The kick I would mess with a little. Neds more clack. The guitars are cool but I dont like the heavier guitar. Needs more girth, more milky INMO. The vocals are awsome. How did you get the distorted vocal sound on the chorus? I like that sound alot.
Thanks! I'd like to give some kind of secret, but it is all in the performance...


It was a Beta 57a> Trident 80B> Joe Meek SC2.

The trick was, and it's something I like to do a lot, driving the preamp quite hard and 'playing' it via mic technique. I know where (distance from mic) and when (how I'm singing (velocity)) to keep it clean or drive it.
Messiah
Thread Starter
#12
11th December 2005
Old 11th December 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
What a great song! This is one of the best songs I've heard on here.

I think I'm cool with everything, but think the mix is lacking a bit.

In the beginning, the toms are too "wide". There should be something else that sit's out on the sides and the toms should come in a touch. They're taking away from the song, distracting.

Then the OH's need to slam in, and the bass should come up some, and the guitars need to be rockin.

Then back to the wide gtr's with the tom's in a little. The snare needs to cut through here too, crack a little more.

I think the arrangement is killer, and the song is tracked well. It's all there, just the mix is a bit weak.

I do like the effect on the vox at the beginning on the "bridge", good call on that one.
Well, firstly, thanks a lot for the +'s!


In terms of the mix, I think I have usually put SO much into the writing, arrangement, performance and tracking that by the time I get to the mix I lose my objectivity...

I don't know about others, but I find it hard to mix myself and my parts. As balanced as I try to be I always find I'm either too quiet (not wanting to make it about ME) or too loud (because I've realised my parts are quieter than they should be).
This then has a knock on effect on the other parts.

I agree that it's all there, and I'm thinking it's time to let someone else mix for me...
I believe I can be more productive if I take the mix pressure of my shoulders.
It's hard doing EVERYTHING.

Messiah
Thread Starter
#13
11th December 2005
Old 11th December 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
I'd have to agree with one of the last posts that this is one of the best tracks musically speaking that I've heard on here.
wow, thank you mucho!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
(Hey, I just started the track again and wanted to mention that some of the harmonic movements in the verse are totally cool. Also, the fact that the distorted guitar part on the chorus stays the same over chords that change under it is great.)
Moppish, straight to the top of the class! thumbsup

You're the first person to have noticed this. It is something that I do a lot when composing. I love to keep one phrase/riff/melody/whatever on top and move the chords so that what's on top becomes an extension of the chord(s), and it takes on a new meaning for each chord. It is fully intentional and I justify my harmonic movement when I do it.
I had a quite formal jazz music theory education and my main aim is generally to use it without sounding like I'm using it (if that makes sense).

I'm genuinely impressed you spotted this!
#14
11th December 2005
Old 11th December 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Renie's Avatar
 

hi Carl

I really like the verse and chorus, if I were arranging the song I would make the middle 8 much shorter and come back to another, building, verse and chorus. It sounds a little bit like 2 songs in 1 to me at the moment.

The second verse is the high point for me, so I might try starting the song with the harmonies from the get go. It's one of those songs where the verse is a chorus beater, and the chorus is doing a good job anyway, I'd make the most out of that.

The first bridge from chorus to second verse, the lead guitar there could be more powerful, I think the part is OK but the sound lacks a little.

I like your voice in the track, it's really good work overall
#15
11th December 2005
Old 11th December 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
opentune's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
I love to keep one phrase/riff/melody/whatever on top and move the chords so that what's on top becomes an extension of the chord(s), and it takes on a new meaning for each chord.
Yep, i love that, too!!!

You got anymore songs?
Messiah
Thread Starter
#16
12th December 2005
Old 12th December 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune
Yep, i love that, too!!!

You got anymore songs?
TOO many! I can't get them all finished...

Seriously though, I will post some more in due course...
Messiah
Thread Starter
#17
19th December 2005
Old 19th December 2005
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Ok, seeing as it ''tis the season to share', here's another track.

Before I get too many comments on it, I AM going to re-record this in the new year.

Comments are always nice though!

FYI, the drums are double tracked (...it seemed like a good idea at the time).

The reverb on the vocal is just wrong to my ears now.

However, to be positive, I'm sure there's a lot more good than bad in it and if you liked the last one, you'll probably dig this one too...

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 oversure mstr.mp3 (3.06 MB, 50 views)
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
RainbowStorm / So much gear, so little time!
5
Brandino221 / Music Computers
0
tom evans / So much gear, so little time!
3
bcarr / So much gear, so little time!
25

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.