Death Metal DEMO Advice PLEASE??
Old 16th March 2010
Gear interested

Death Metal DEMO Advice PLEASE??

My Band is called Throne of Entrails. This is our DEMO and my first recording.

I feel like somethings wrong? Maybe Not enough high's... SOD is too bassy and i think the drums and vocals are too high.

Comments? Advice? Anything is helpful!!!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 KOALA IN A WAFFLE IRON PVW2.mp3 (2.35 MB, 1964 views)
File Type: mp3 SOD DEMO3.mp3 (1.85 MB, 1956 views)
Old 16th March 2010
Vocals are a bit loud in both. Especially Koala. The instrument mix seems like it has a blanket over the speaker sound. Need a bit of edge on the instrumental mix. Vocal sounds - not bad, need a better blend though. 2 cents.
Old 16th March 2010
Gear interested

thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Vocals are a bit loud in both. Especially Koala. The instrument mix seems like it has a blanket over the speaker sound. Need a bit of edge on the instrumental mix. Vocal sounds - not bad, need a better blend though. 2 cents.
Thanx for the advice.. im going to lower the vocals but what can i do to make the instruments stand out more
Old 17th March 2010
LdC
Gear maniac

It's not bad for a first attempt. The basic sounds aren't bad, the playing is tight and it sounds like you've wisely resisted the urge to put loads of crazy compression and effects on everything

The mix needs tidying up, mostly in the bottom end. The kick drum is too boomy. Try some low shelf or low cut (aka high pass) filtering to reduce the bass. Also try that on the guitars because they're boomy/muddy in the lows. It might make the guitars sound "weaker" when you listen to them on their own (solo'ed), but the idea is that the real bass beef will come from the bass guitar.

By the way, how have you recorded the bass guitars? Did you double-track them and pan them like guitars or something? It kinda sounds like that. You should really just have the one bass track panned right in the middle.

The drums are also totally mono so the cymbals don't envelop the sound as they could. Try panning the overheads left and right. I think the cymbals sound kinda weak and lacking life, and some of them sound kinda high-pitched. Perhaps some compression on the cymbals can give them some "smash" and aggression.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear maniac

Reverb is your friend!

Compress the vocals more, and use a reverb send to seat them in the mix properly.

Are these drum samples? If so then get busy with the panning of the cymbals, and try and sculpt the mids to allow a little more snap on the snare, and tame the kick.

LdC has a good point about the bass. Keep it central. Also; you'd be surprised how much heavier a song can sound with the distortion backed off on the guitar amps, but added to the higher frequencies of the bass (700+). It gels everything and points down to the bass fundamental, which is sounds great \m/

Also, the bass 'boom' at about 1:12 into Koala falls a bit flat; the bass space needs to be empty for that kind of effect to have any impact
Old 17th March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdC View Post
It's not bad for a first attempt. The basic sounds aren't bad, the playing is tight and it sounds like you've wisely resisted the urge to put loads of crazy compression and effects on everything

The mix needs tidying up, mostly in the bottom end. The kick drum is too boomy. Try some low shelf or low cut (aka high pass) filtering to reduce the bass. Also try that on the guitars because they're boomy/muddy in the lows. It might make the guitars sound "weaker" when you listen to them on their own (solo'ed), but the idea is that the real bass beef will come from the bass guitar.

By the way, how have you recorded the bass guitars? Did you double-track them and pan them like guitars or something? It kinda sounds like that. You should really just have the one bass track panned right in the middle.

The drums are also totally mono so the cymbals don't envelop the sound as they could. Try panning the overheads left and right. I think the cymbals sound kinda weak and lacking life, and some of them sound kinda high-pitched. Perhaps some compression on the cymbals can give them some "smash" and aggression.

Thanx for all the advice from you guys!! im going to mess around with those things(pan the cymbals and un-double track the bass)...

Do I double track the bass when i have harmonized guitars or no?

If you have any other suggestions just let me know! ill post something up today or tomarrow..
Old 17th March 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHoursCold View Post
Do I double track the bass when i have harmonized guitars or no?
No, have the bass play the root note of the harmony. Or, if it sounds cool, any of the other notes
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah man, the vocals are the main concern here. They are in comparascent not only louder but more present than the rest of the mix. Keep in mind in this style vocals act as a texture to the general soundscape and should be, although articulate, blended in better. Once you get that right, the rest you can start to tweak.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHD View Post
LdC has a good point about the bass. Keep it central. Also; you'd be surprised how much heavier a song can sound with the distortion backed off on the guitar amps, but added to the higher frequencies of the bass (700+). It gels everything and points down to the bass fundamental, which is sounds great \m/
How do i add distortion to the higher frequencies of the bass only?
Old 18th March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
heyyy can you post the tracks for one of em? i could use some practice with this kinda stuff thumbsup
I would love to help you but, im working with audacity and its the biggest pain in the ass to even work with it..

I hope someone else can help you though!
Old 18th March 2010
Gear interested

Old 20th March 2010
Gear interested

im having some trouble.. everything sounds wrong?

any other advice?
Old 20th March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHoursCold View Post
im having some trouble.. everything sounds wrong?

any other advice?
do i pan toms and double track double bass, 1 hard L and 1 hard R?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search