One man music production.....Let's hear the MUSIC!
Old 7th March 2012
  #2401
Gear interested
 
gregcoffeymusic's Avatar
 

Im sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is all me! Hope you like it. Thanks!

GC
Attached Files
Old 9th March 2012
  #2402
Gear Head
 
manos_m's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Hi guys, thought id share this story with you as it has changed everything for me in my mixing.
I finally broke though a barrier in my mixing just last night, Ill go in to more detail about that in a moment.

The track is a slow piano rock ballad that builds to a wall of guitars, so bare with the slow intro.
It was written the day i lost someone very close to me back in 2006.
I’ve learnt a lot about mixing since then and the technology has moved on but my new tracks have still not had the punch and life that I was seeking.

So after finding out something about mixing last night on YouTube I was itching to try it out. I thought id load up this old session as the recording was one of my better attempts and try out this new thing I had learned….

First time uploading to GS you can stream it at the bottom of this post..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1331091956

Here is the old mix from 2006 (dull and boring)
Your Time | Aaron Owen Smith

The original mix, or though it was nice and clear and the levels where ok.
The track felt flat and lifeless and lacked punch and dynamics, it was also too bright.
On such a melancholic and sober record most of my fans (friends) weren’t that interested in it, for me though it always had a special place because of the subject matter and I new it could sound better.

Ive spent years of reading and learning every technical thing I could here on Gearslutz and elsewhere as no doubt we all have, but I was still only slightly improving with mixes.

Something’s are right under our noses all along, yet we cant see them because we are looking in all the wrong places.
The one great realization about mixing that changed me is this.
I though mixing was a technical ability, like being a scientist. Its not! It’s a lot more like a musician.

“MIXING IS ABOUT FEELING… PLAYING! PERFORMING!

I have spent too long thinking and worrying about everything technical thing, the settings, the eq, the compression the reverb. That’s all wrong. I was afraid to be brash, and even move the faders in case I messed up all that I had done before..

Im sure I’ve heard countless people say this before, but I ignored it, I only wanted to know about the technicalities and massively overlooked this fundamental element to mixing music..

Im mixing from the heart now, and by that I mean, im mixing with the same cap that I would wear if I was playing a gig, “winging it!, just going along with it.
Not caring so much about what’s happening, but enjoying the feeling of PLAYING and performing, because this is what mixing is really all about.

Of course there is a technical skill to it, but most of stuff should almost second nature now. The real skill is being led by the core element and spirit of the song.

I think the reason I finally found this out was because the track was old, and I was reasonably satisfied with the original, I was mixing the new version in much bolder way, I didn’t care if it all messed up, I wasn’t trying so hard, I was just having fun and going along with it. Boy I have a valuable lesson…

As for the technical things.. I used a lot less compression,
I panned harder then I normally do, I used much less reverb and eq overall, but more aggressively. I think I was pushing + 9 and +12 in some parts.
I also have finally started using side chain ducking on the bass, (why didn’t I bother to learn this before?

Thanks guys. Hope some of this made sense!
I like your approach to mixing a lot!!! Totally agree with you. Sometimes we (as musicians) tend to forget it's all about a Feeling that we try to express with music and we get lost in technical details, plugins, mixing techniques etc which sometimes can make you lose your path and make the "wrong" (If there is something like "wrong" in music, let's say "least honest") choice for our songs.

I loved the track Aaron! Pure, awesome and delivers the message! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and music with us!
Old 9th March 2012
  #2403
Gear Head
 
manos_m's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcoffeymusic View Post
Im sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is all me! Hope you like it. Thanks!

GC
Excellent!!! Thank you for the free music! Amazing work! Congrats!
Old 10th March 2012
  #2404
Gear interested
 

still waiting for some screaming feedback;


Quote:
Originally Posted by marssound View Post
ok, here's my first post as a 'Hello!' to all people of Gearslutz !



an old thing I made with not so much studio stuff and only the max. of 4 tracks in my DAW.
it was made very quick as a birthdaygift for a friend.
and also to use the recordings I made of his singing to some music of mine. It was to fast and useless for the discotrack I made, so I lowered the tempo and tried to put a funny fusionband behind it. the lyrics are based on cartoons.
it is old and made very quick (my skills and studio has grown), but I still like to here some reactions.


http://soundcloud.com/marsmusica/escape
Old 10th March 2012
  #2405
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by manos_m View Post

I loved the track Aaron! Pure, awesome and delivers the message! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and music with us!
Thanks Manos!
Old 10th March 2012
  #2406
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marssound View Post
still waiting for some screaming feedback;
This isnt my genre, but id never have believed it was only 4 tracks, cleaver!, there are some parts that remind me of the theme tune to TAXI.
Old 10th March 2012
  #2407
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcoffeymusic View Post
Im sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is all me! Hope you like it. Thanks!

GC

your my everything is really good Greg, super clean and clear recording. Good vocal performance also.
Old 11th March 2012
  #2409
Gear interested
 

---
Old 13th March 2012
  #2410
Gear nut
 
Jonas M.'s Avatar
 

Area 88

A lot of really great music shared in this thread!!!

Spent a few hours with one of my favorite Nintendo game songs. It's originally the main screen melody of the game "Area 88" / "U.N Squadron". Took the melody and rewrote the rest. Liked it, so I thought I'd share it. I do recordings like this to train my recording and mixing skills. I think there is still a lot to learn, but one step at a time

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-mehne/area-88
Old 13th March 2012
  #2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Hi guys, thought id share this story with you as it has changed everything for me in my mixing.
I finally broke though a barrier in my mixing just last night, Ill go in to more detail about that in a moment.

The track is a slow piano rock ballad that builds to a wall of guitars, so bare with the slow intro.
It was written the day i lost someone very close to me back in 2006.
I’ve learnt a lot about mixing since then and the technology has moved on but my new tracks have still not had the punch and life that I was seeking.

So after finding out something about mixing last night on YouTube I was itching to try it out. I thought id load up this old session as the recording was one of my better attempts and try out this new thing I had learned….

First time uploading to GS you can stream it at the bottom of this post..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1331091956

Here is the old mix from 2006 (dull and boring)
Your Time | Aaron Owen Smith

The original mix, or though it was nice and clear and the levels where ok.
The track felt flat and lifeless and lacked punch and dynamics, it was also too bright.
On such a melancholic and sober record most of my fans (friends) weren’t that interested in it, for me though it always had a special place because of the subject matter and I new it could sound better.

Ive spent years of reading and learning every technical thing I could here on Gearslutz and elsewhere as no doubt we all have, but I was still only slightly improving with mixes.

Something’s are right under our noses all along, yet we cant see them because we are looking in all the wrong places.
The one great realization about mixing that changed me is this.
I though mixing was a technical ability, like being a scientist. Its not! It’s a lot more like a musician.

“MIXING IS ABOUT FEELING… PLAYING! PERFORMING!

I have spent too long thinking and worrying about every technical thing, the settings, the eq, the compression the reverb. That’s all wrong. I was afraid to be brash, and even move the faders in case I messed up all that I had done before..

Im sure I’ve heard countless people say this before, but I ignored it, I only wanted to know about the technicalities and massively overlooked this fundamental element to mixing music..

Im mixing from the heart now, and by that I mean, im mixing with the same cap that I would wear if I was playing a gig, “winging it!, just going along with it.
Not caring so much about what’s happening, but enjoying the feeling of PLAYING and performing, because this is what mixing is really all about.

Of course there is a technical skill to it, but most of stuff that should be almost second nature by now. The real skill is being led by the core element and spirit of the song.

I think the reason I finally found this out was because the track was old, and I was reasonably satisfied with the original, I was mixing the new version in much bolder way, I didn’t care if it all messed up, I wasn’t trying so hard, I was just having fun and going along with it. Boy I learned a valuable lesson there…

As for the technical things.. I used a lot less compression,
I panned harder then I normally do, I used much less reverb and eq overall, but more aggressively. I think I was pushing + 9 on some parts.
I also have finally started using side chain ducking on the bass, (why didn’t I bother to learn this before?

Thanks guys. Hope some of this made sense!
Hey great tune bro... well produced. i'm really feeling your song!
Thnx 4 sharing!
I would love your thoughts on my 2 songs below!
Blessinz!!
http://soundcloud.com/djk4yahweh/freedom-mastered-on-24-11-2011
http://soundcloud.com/djk4yahweh/armageddon-ft-sugar-on-flute
Old 14th March 2012
  #2412
Gear interested
 
gregcoffeymusic's Avatar
 

Aaronsmith- Thank you for listening and the kind words! I really appreciate your time!

GC
Old 14th March 2012
  #2413
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj K 4 Yahweh View Post
Hey great tune bro... well produced. i'm really feeling your song!
Thnx 4 sharing!
I would love your thoughts on my 2 songs below!
Blessinz!!
http://soundcloud.com/djk4yahweh/freedom-mastered-on-24-11-2011
http://soundcloud.com/djk4yahweh/armageddon-ft-sugar-on-flute
Thanks Dude.
Love the dub track! you got that bang on, like the music and lyric in the first track but the rhythm parts seem a bit static, maybe some saturation to dirty up the drums and bass.
Old 14th March 2012
  #2414
Gear interested
 

Old 14th March 2012
  #2415
Lives for gear
 
greatgreatriver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa Linna View Post
Esa Linna: Piece of Me - YouTube


Posted this earlier, here's the video..
This song have a progressiv 70's feel to it - It would be cool to go another direction - more crazy drums, phaser on the vocals etc. Now the backing track is pretty tame.

Cool video I like it!
Old 14th March 2012
  #2416
Gear Head
Old 14th March 2012
  #2417
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Thanks Dude.
Love the dub track! you got that bang on, like the music and lyric in the first track but the rhythm parts seem a bit static, maybe some saturation to dirty up the drums and bass.
Yeah I get it.
Cheers bro!
All the best!
Old 14th March 2012
  #2418
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by seboah View Post
working in this right now and need a text...like always
http://soundcloud.com/sacknase/diskriminierung-des-guten-tons


Greets
I love Addictive Drummer Software, so easy to use, but it can be spotted a mile away, I don’t know why its so obvious though, Ezdrummer isnt like that..

Nice guitar backing, but over all this needs arrangement, some synth or piano parts, samples, something that jumps out!
Would like to hear some real tambourine on it.
Has potential though.
Old 15th March 2012
  #2419
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
You guys must be sick and tired of me by now! But to celebrate the 800th post I finished another track. Used Soundtoys Decapitator for the first time on this and it is very, very addictive to use. The E setting is almost like an enhancer of some sort. It opens up the high end. I love Soundtoys!

RiverDistrict - Tanks and Tigers - SoundCloud

@ Jazzooo anyway of putting your track on a streaming site? Downloading MP3 is a bit of hassle. Get a soundcloud account, its great.
Very cool song!
Old 15th March 2012
  #2420
has all the gear he needs
 
Unclenny's Avatar
 

Howdy, folks!!

Check this one out.

Call Me!
Old 16th March 2012
  #2421
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Howdy, folks!!

Check this one out.

Call Me!
As always love the guitar and vocals - you are doing that 2 songs in one thing again :-)

Can I play piano on one of your tracks ? I've got a pretty good ear.
Old 16th March 2012
  #2422
has all the gear he needs
 
Unclenny's Avatar
 

Let's do it!
Old 16th March 2012
  #2423
Gear addict
 
alexvdbroek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcoffeymusic View Post
Im sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is all me! Hope you like it. Thanks!

GC
Good effort.
Old 20th March 2012
  #2424
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Thanks Dude.
Love the dub track! you got that bang on, like the music and lyric in the first track but the rhythm parts seem a bit static, maybe some saturation to dirty up the drums and bass.
Hi,
can u pls tell me what u think whick kind of reverb is good to use on the master buss? i.e. plate, room, hall etc?
Old 20th March 2012
  #2425
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
On some tracks, mixing in to a reverb can work, but it’s rare, the best thing to do, Is to have 2-3 FX sends with different reverbs on, small room/hall, Plate, and maybe something big like a chamber. This way you can EQ the reverbs and pick and choice what tracks to send rather then the whole mix.
You will find your mix less cluttered if you don’t send everything to a reverb also.


I have made myself 2 rules when deciding on reverb placement.
Does this track need creative Reverb,(obvious) or soundstage placement Reverb. (subtle)
In most cases its soundstage placement, for example an acoustic guitar’s reverb you would not hear, but you would notice if it wasn’t there, its used like glue, very subtle, if you can hear it, then you are using to much.
Creative reverb could be big and obvious, like a big epic distant sound, or vocal sent to a Plate
Old 20th March 2012
  #2426
Gear interested
 

Old 20th March 2012
  #2427
has all the gear he needs
 
Unclenny's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Creative reverb could be big and obvious, like a big epic distant sound, or vocal sent to a Plate
Try automating your reverb sends so that they are only there when you want them....
Old 21st March 2012
  #2428
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Try automating your reverb sends so that they are only there when you want them....
Another reason why its better to use a send then sticking you verb on the mixbuss, All my vocals use automation extensively to bring the singer closer or push the vocal back in different phrases of the lyric. It can really add some movement to the vocal.
For example an intimate passage would use hardly any, and a loud aggressive part might use more or even a different verb entirely. Personally though I prefer delay in that scenario though.
Old 21st March 2012
  #2429
Lives for gear
 
aaronsmith's Avatar
Old 21st March 2012
  #2430
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
This thread is one man music production! still sounds good though, very nice vocal.
I did produce it all just didn't play it all..... sorry i didn't realise! Would be glad if people could still listen though thank you!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
gitarrero / So much gear, so little time!
12
Magnum29465 / So much gear, so little time!
56
steelyfan / So much gear, so little time!
117

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.