One man music production.....Let's hear the MUSIC!
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Guru

A salute to my fellow hacks of all trades!

I know how much work goes into putting together a recording
running both sides of the glass.

Even if we were doing it ALL wrong, at least we were doing something creative.
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Pragmatic Snob

Nice work people! Great thread!

Gregory Scott - ubk
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear maniac

I've got plenty of songs (all written/recorded/mixed/mastered completely alone) which you can stream from my website (see link below), including one called "Wow & Flutter & Hiss" (all of you analog tape guys will know what that means).
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Airwindows

30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear maniac

Smile

This is a song I just wrote and recorded for a short commercial spot... I don't sing

Great thread!!!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Commercial Mix MAster Final.mp3 (1,006.7 KB, 303 views)
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
...might as well either really sequence it or play a real kit, I'm getting worst-of-both-worlds here :P

Play it brother, PLAY IT!

Fµck sound. I love sound as much as the next guy, but we make the muse weep when we choose sound over vibe. This is art, and art is war.

The war of art.

If programming drums comes easy and quick and gives you the results you want, do it. Me, I stick a mic up in front of the kit, take an hour to find the right spot, then weld it there. Now recording drums is as fast as patching in the mic to the pre to the tape deck. Ironically, my drums sound better than ever, because a) I play all the time, and b) I know where to stick the damn mic.

Play those drums, man. Ain't nothin' like it.

Gregory Scott - ubk
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Play it brother, PLAY IT!

Fµck sound. I love sound as much as the next guy, but we make the muse weep when we choose sound over vibe. This is art, and art is war.

The war of art.

If programming drums comes easy and quick and gives you the results you want, do it. Me, I stick a mic up in front of the kit, take an hour to find the right spot, then weld it there. Now recording drums is as fast as patching in the mic to the pre to the tape deck. Ironically, my drums sound better than ever, because a) I play all the time, and b) I know where to stick the damn mic.

Play those drums, man. Ain't nothin' like it.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Greg, there is no irony involved in what you said.

It's common sense causality.

- c
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
take an hour to find the right spot
an hour? do drummers have that long of an attention span?
or is that guitar players? regardless I'd be shot if it took that long
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald View Post
Well...err...I don't think this counts, but I stumbled upon a cheesey sounding patch in a new free Kore Player download I got, so I wrote a cheesey x-mas-y kind of 80's song. I woudn't count this as a "production" but I did do everything myself..so...I'm posting it at the expense of my dignity. The ending's a little rough..ENJOY!

Dude, I like it...
pia
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
pia
Gear Head

Hi all, the last couple of years i have try to take my songs to 'the end'. Try to concentrate on a)music b)vocal c)groove. Also i have bought couple of good gears like two good pre's, fatso, api2500, axe-fx. And this is where i am now ...

peace
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 2-buss-in_3_mastered_16bit_v2.mp3 (2.69 MB, 357 views)
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
A salute to my fellow hacks of all trades!

I know how much work goes into putting together a recording
running both sides of the glass.

Even if we were doing it ALL wrong, at least we were doing something creative.
Yes indeed! Something to remind ourselves of in the new year. Keep churning out those songs by whatever means available / necessary!
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Definitely not a genre I generally listen to, but very interesting. I think that the first one is the first time I've heard anyone capture what my thought processes sound like :-) Is this primarily intended for dance venues, or is this more intended for listening? Some of it could kind of be dance/rave'ish in some ways.
Primarily: therapy
Secondary: getting panties off of suicidegirls
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Guru

I've actually been thinking about buying a drum kit because sequencing drum parts
is so tedious for me.

Working on the song "In Therapy" with my Ensoniq EPS

It took 16 hours just to get those sequences right, not counting
mix time.

On the song "Crissy", I just jammed to a basic beat through the whole song.
Had a blast working with the big sax section.

I sure gave that Tascam 488 a work out. :-)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Crissy+Mono.mp3 (2.68 MB, 252 views)
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
This thread is specifically about the music. I don't want any of the samples listened in the one man production thread to get lost within the discussion. The discussion is cool. But I'd like everyone who is a one man wrecking crew to post some of your music that you did all on your own with no other members from writing, producing, performing, and engineering.

So let's have it! I'd love to hear what you guys have done!

I guess I'll start. My EP is almost finished. Here is the first track from it. All done by me.

The only thing I didn't do was mastering. I'm gonna get it mastered again with a little less high end (EQ) when the EP is finished.

Depression In A Time Of Love.mp3
Don't want to spoil the fun, but you may want to know that people are downloading a 'fishing URL' when they click the link above -- according to my antivirus programme.

Not your fault...
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Very nice production man! Great sound.
almost forgot a thank you: thank you
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hey, I'm that guy too! I'm surprised how many of us there are! I've found being self contained can be a blessing and a curse...Usually a curse lol....jk CHeck out my song!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 SAY YES -mix5.mp3 (3.94 MB, 258 views)
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear addict

What a great thread! Been listening away to some of the tracks here, and a lot of it is great stuff!

By coincidence I've just completed a self-produced (one-man) track which was going to placed on the "Work in Progress" area, but came across this.

So here's my project in progress - an 80's styled track that I've long wanted to create. This'll really mess with your mind, as the singer isnt a girl at all, but is in fact my own voice manipulated - sounds very flexipop which is my aim. Vox going through a Publison Delay.

http://www.obscuresounds.com/audio/infernal_final.mp3

Enjoy... I'll post this up on the other forum... as I wouldnt mind getting some mix feedback. Threw this in to a Studer A80 among other things.

Keep 'em coming folks... there are people like us out there
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
has all the gear he needs

Great to see everybody coming out of the woodwork on this thread, especially some of you guys who don't put stuff up often.

Absolutely amazing eclectic mix of tunes....I have caught up and listened to everything......

Particular kudos to u b k, blue and FFTT.......and Mark Kaufman, as well as Nolet and Sky (boy does that piano sound good).

Here's hoping that this thread has serious legs.
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear addict

ryst
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Don't want to spoil the fun, but you may want to know that people are downloading a 'fishing URL' when they click the link above -- according to my antivirus programme.

Not your fault...
Ouch. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ouch. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?
Maybe find another host -- for your own sake?

I'm not sure how bad a 'fishing URL' is, but my antivirus program refused to download your song...
ryst
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
but my antivirus program refused to download your song...
Resistance is futile.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Any suggestions? I don't have my own site at the moment and yousendit.com has a download/time limit. Mediafire is the only site I know of that doesn't have the download/time limit.
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Resistance is futile.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Any suggestions? I don't have my own site at the moment and yousendit.com has a download/time limit. Mediafire is the only site I know of that doesn't have the download/time limit.
Dropbox thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup You can a file link directly from your public folder
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Resistance is futile.
That's the spirit!
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
You can hear my latest on my site. All by my lonesome.

Anton Evans -
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by days View Post
I've got plenty of songs (all written/recorded/mixed/mastered completely alone) which you can stream from my website (see link below), including one called "Wow & Flutter & Hiss" (all of you analog tape guys will know what that means).
Hey, days, I just PM'd you to let you know that I'm impressed by the songs, especially the diversity (not often I hear feedback resolve into an orchestral passage or a gritty hip-hop loop segue into a ballad). I ended up downloading the album last night, and have been listening to it throughout the morning. Nice job.

I also enjoyed the River District (Nolet) song a lot, as did a friend of mine I just played it for. This is very close to the style I'm striving for (but that I haven't been able to quite get yet).

Also recommended: Pssalad's "Blacklight."

You guys should do this more often. It's been fun listening to this stuff.
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Pragmatic Snob

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who won't click links in signatures or click away to outside sites to find a song someone wants me to listen to?

Maybe it's my aversion to the A.D.D.-inducing world of hyperlinks, but on a thread where people are sharing the music, I'd love to have a simple, direct link I can click on *right here* that downloads the file or fires up a player... all without leaving the thread.

Otherwise, I get lost on a rollercoaster of tangents and other websites and lose my focus, and 15 minutes later I see the tab with this thread and I go "oh yeah, I was checking out new music."

Am I alone in this regard?

Gregory Scott - ubk
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
Pragmatic Snob

More direct communication

Since that last post was a philosophical musing, let me follow up with a specific, direct request:

It'd be great if everyone could put a direct link to their music right here in the thread, in the post. Not a link to another site in a sig, a link right here to a file or a player.

Since I'm gettin' fussy, it'd also be great if the file had a name which bore some relation to the artist and song title, and double plus bonus points if you take the time to enter that info into the mp3 data header (itunes and other players make this simple).

I guess what I'm sayin' is "meet the listener halfway". There's been a lot of stuff posted here, and while it may seem silly the unavoidable psychological truth is that every microscopic barrier between someone's current browser location and your destination is a very real impediment to getting them to voluntarily move where you want them to go.

Hook us with a song, *then* direct us to a site where we can check out more if we're piqued.

Or maybe I'm nuts.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search