New Reply
Subscribe
chris777
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear maniac

Pop tune using Superior Drummer 2.0

Hey guys,

This post is just for fun. I have attached a song called "It Kills Easier" by Claiborne Shepherd. I am the producer/guitarist of this track and I used Superior Drummer 2.0 with the Korg Nanopad. I thought the drums turned out pretty good and I thought you might be interested. We're not finished with the track but you will get the idea.

Enjoy!
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 It Kills Easier_Ref2.mp3 (5.79 MB, 1211 views)
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds great.

Could be a real drummer, if you hadn't of said .... I would of never known, and I've played drums for 30 years. Technonlogy has come a long way, amazing !

Well done

TMY

(quote) Bill Watterson
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear interested

Nice track... The overdubs in the chorus rub me the wrong way though. I think they need to be retracked, and with more technique... tell the singer to SMOOTH THE TRANSITIONS.

Good Luck
chris777
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Sounds great.

Could be a real drummer, if you hadn't of said .... I would of never known, and I've played drums for 30 years. Technonlogy has come a long way, amazing !

Well done

TMY
Thanks! It helps that I have been a drummer as well for 25 years. It is easy to overplay with the nanopads. I have a friend bringing his TD-4 over and see if that works good as far as keeping the grooves realistic.
chris777
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampexfanatic View Post
Nice track... The overdubs in the chorus rub me the wrong way though. I think they need to be retracked, and with more technique... tell the singer to SMOOTH THE TRANSITIONS.

Good Luck
What exactly rubs you wrong about the chorus and the transitions? Thanks for listening!
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampexfanatic View Post

Good Luck
?

Can't hear that personally - all sounds good to me.

TMY
22nd July 2009
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Overall I think the mix sounds very good

Though you might want to lower the kick + compress the bass very gently.
chris777
23rd July 2009
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear maniac

thanks!
chris777
23rd July 2009
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear maniac

Ok, so here is a question for anyone who has been successful enough to get a song on the radio. Is the production of this track good enough for radio play and if not what could I do to get it closer. Obviously this track has not been mastered , but has a few plugs I threw on the mix buss to smooth it out a bit. I also have some edits and may throw another guitar track to add some ambiance in certain spots.

Thanks for any help on this!
23rd July 2009
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear Head

Hey great song....cant believe those drums were made with a Korg nanocontroller.......i think i might have to get one. I have battery 3 - do you think i can ....i had the alesis control pad ...and i sold it....didnt like it. issues with it.
chris777
24th July 2009
Old 24th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesliketv View Post
Hey great song....cant believe those drums were made with a Korg nanocontroller.......i think i might have to get one. I have battery 3 - do you think i can ....i had the alesis control pad ...and i sold it....didnt like it. issues with it.
I would imagine. The nanopad has a nice touch to it. As long as your samples are layered well they should sound good. The trick is to play them like a drummer. I actually recorded just the snare and hat so it would feel like I was playing with sticks then went back and added kick. after that it was just sticking fills in here and there.
25th July 2009
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Head

Chris;

Very, very nice!

I am very impressed, both with the musicianship and the production.

can you give us some details on the recording components? DAW, what Audio interface, etc,....

Thanks.....and again.,nicely done!

HH
chris777
25th July 2009
Old 25th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Chris;

Very, very nice!

I am very impressed, both with the musicianship and the production.

can you give us some details on the recording components? DAW, what Audio interface, etc,....

Thanks.....and again.,nicely done!

HH
Thanks!

For awesome vocalist: I am using my Peluso P12 mic>SCA N72>distressor> BLA modded Digi 002rack > Protools 8

My electric Guitars: Thomas KMT-15 1-12 combo Amp > 421 mic> SCA A12… By the way, I have recorded Bad Cats, Mesas, Fenders, Zs, Orange, Vox and my Thomas Amp is amazing. Look up Thomas Amps and you should find out about them. This tone is straight from the amp. This guy is a local guy down the road from me and he really has nailed this tone. I am very picky with guitar amps and I have never been this happy with my tone.
my acoustic gtr: Takamini Dreadnought EG334SC >P12>SCA A12>distressor

Bass: Roscoe 6 string SCA A2>distressor…
Bass Amp: SWR combo>Beta 52>N72…

Drums: Me playing Korg Nanopad>Superior Drummer 2.1…

So I guess not to much stuff. Lots of plugins. It really helps the song and players are good . Thanks again!
25th July 2009
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds good, well written song and nice production. I could definitely imagine it on the radio.

I hate to think what mastering will do to it actually, if they go for loudness...

27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
Hey guys,

This post is just for fun. I have attached a song called "It Kills Easier" by Claiborne Shepherd. I am the producer/guitarist of this track and I used Superior Drummer 2.0 with the Korg Nanopad. I thought the drums turned out pretty good and I thought you might be interested. We're not finished with the track but you will get the idea.

Enjoy!
Chris
Hey Chris, just curious on this song, you are at least doing some compressing of the drums within Superior right?

Nice job.
chris777
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Hey Chris, just curious on this song, you are at least doing some compressing of the drums within Superior right?

Nice job.
I am actually using the plugs in Superior Drummer. mainly on kick and snare. Basically some eq, transient designer and compression. Those built in plugs sound pretty nice and clean. I believe the mid room mics have been pre compressed? Other than that I am using Waves SSL comp on the mix buss.
27th July 2009
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am actually using the plugs in Superior Drummer. mainly on kick and snare. Basically some eq, transient designer and compression. Those built in plugs sound pretty nice and clean. I believe the mid room mics have been pre compressed? Other than that I am using Waves SSL comp on the mix buss.
Thanks for the info, I thought I was hearing the internal comp on snare drum, it has a pretty identifiable sound, just curious.

Nice stuff.
28th July 2009
Old 28th July 2009
Gear maniac

Great song, and what a great voice. I don't like the snare. Very dry.
chris777
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Smile View Post
Great song, and what a great voice. I don't like the snare. Very dry.
weird. It sounds nice and roomy without being overkill. The transient designer is really pushing it making it snappy. Maybe that is what you don't like. Snare sounds good through my Event ASP8's
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Head

Very good. Great song and production

The drum track only tires my ears a little. I've been thinking for while what the problem is, but I think it is the fact that the ghosts on the snare a just a tad too loud and sound-wise too similar too the real hits.
chris777
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Julez View Post
Very good. Great song and production

The drum track only tires my ears a little. I've been thinking for while what the problem is, but I think it is the fact that the ghosts on the snare a just a tad too loud and sound-wise too similar too the real hits.
ok. I agree with that. I will revisit the ghost notes. Thanks!
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so here is a question for anyone who has been successful enough to get a song on the radio. Is the production of this track good enough for radio play and if not what could I do to get it closer. Obviously this track has not been mastered , but has a few plugs I threw on the mix buss to smooth it out a bit. I also have some edits and may throw another guitar track to add some ambiance in certain spots.

Thanks for any help on this!
Chris very cool all around.

RE the chorus, I hear what the one poster is saying, though I don't feel it's a smoothness issue. Something about the backs that come in isn't quite there yet. It's either because he's singing them and it doesn't sound different enough, or that they are too loud, something. Not a deal breaker but otherwise everything is spot on. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe they just don't sound different enough ambience wise...ugh, I hate when that happens. Maybe play with some different approaches. Or ignore all of this because it's fine the way it is. It's really that close I think.

Do not worry about the radio. There has never been a hit song that was not a hit song because of it's sound. Hit songs are hit SONGS. It's we on GS that are obsessed about that stuff, not the iPod buyer person

Question, been thinking of grabbing Superior 2.0, is the kit you used stock with it, or an add on? Sounds great, super programming.

TH
chris777
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Chris very cool all around.

RE the chorus, I hear what the one poster is saying, though I don't feel it's a smoothness issue. Something about the backs that come in isn't quite there yet. It's either because he's singing them and it doesn't sound different enough, or that they are too loud, something. Not a deal breaker but otherwise everything is spot on. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe they just don't sound different enough ambience wise...ugh, I hate when that happens. Maybe play with some different approaches. Or ignore all of this because it's fine the way it is. It's really that close I think.

Do not worry about the radio. There has never been a hit song that was not a hit song because of it's sound. Hit songs are hit SONGS. It's we on GS that are obsessed about that stuff, not the iPod buyer person

Question, been thinking of grabbing Superior 2.0, is the kit you used stock with it, or an add on? Sounds great, super programming.

TH

Thanks! Yeah the kit that comes with Superior Drummer 2.0 is Avatar Studios. Pretty amazing really. I have had it about a month now and just love it. It is not the real thing nor never can be dynamic wise but they sound so real and big. Honestly though, the only thing I do not like is the volume between the ride and ride wash BUT the cymbal samples are amazing.

I appreciate your input on the song. The reason I ask if the song is potentially radio ready is because in the past I have had labels critique me in this area. Not a big deal but just curious as to how I can make things better.

I am mixing strictly in the box and think it sounds pretty good. Not as wide maybe but still sounds good to me

Thanks again!
chris777
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Sounds good, well written song and nice production. I could definitely imagine it on the radio.

I hate to think what mastering will do to it actually, if they go for loudness...
I am curious about mastering. Now, I added just a touch of my c4, ssl comp, and Massey limiter (more than a touch to the mix buss to smooth the song a bit. I probably caused the drums and other instruments to sound a little washy. I am wondering what thought you guys would have concerning mastering for this song. I typically end up unsatisfied with mastering on my projects. I can tell that the ME knows technically what they are doing but my songs end up sounding Loud, bright and harsh.

I have been told to mix for the song and not for the mastering guy but I do feel like maybe I should compensate for some of the harshness I hear with an eq. It's not that previous mastered songs have sounding terrible but I like the thought of having a smooth and warm sounding mastering job which I have not experienced yet. I hate to think that I am generally doing something wrong to my mixes.

I am monitoring through Event ASP8s with treatment in my room. My gear for the most part is Peluso P12, SCA pres (N72 and A12), distressor into BLA modded Digi 002. This pretty nice gear and wouldn't think it is attributing to harsh sounds. I do use plugins but never more then just barely hitting the meters.

Anyone out there know of a mastering enginner that could help me here? Perhaps any one of you guys might be interested in giving it a shot for this tune?
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

I know I'm late but I like the song a lot...great job.
cam
chris777
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Gear maniac

No problem. I appreciate it.

So anyone interested in commenting on mastering a tune like this per my last post? Thanks!
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Smile Excellent.

Wow

Bloody great work all round man

Nice. Nice. Nice. thumbsup
chris777
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Gear maniac

Thanks C Heat!
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009

I really dig this song man I have no complaints with anything. id buy it if it was on itunes. keep up the good music dude.

- deuce
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Gear maniac

Cool Tune

Chris,
I could hear this on the radio, and really good job!
CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only....the LITTLE difference that I hear, between this and what you would hear on the radio I think would be easily corrected with a really good DAC in you monitoring chain. I find ( and have experienced this personally), but this mix is just ever so slightly not as smooth ( eq wise) as something on a bigger commercial mix. I added a benchmark DAC -1, and that made a world of difference for me. I would highly recommend you borrow one ( mytek, lavry, Benchmark), do a remix and then compare the two and you will see what I mean. It won't jump out at you, but your mixes will be smoother and sit just right - it will sound almost mastered when you play it in your car. I really encourage you to try it. But again, I think it is a really good project, and enjoyed listening to it!

Also, I am a huge fan of Superior Drummer 2.0. I use it with my TD-12 - with a TD-12 or TD-20, you will also get more responsiveness from the program. I used to have a TD-6 and what the software will pickup now as far as dynamics is pretty sick!

Last edited by lcressy; 2nd August 2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: added comments
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search