Mix suggestions. Pop punk rock
New Reply
Subscribe
Mesaman88
1st May 2009
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Head

Mix suggestions. Pop punk rock

Hey guys, my band couldn't find a studio to record us in our area so we pretty much self-recorded a few songs. The recording is low budget with no preamps, just the drums run through a mixer and the guitars/vocals run thru an interface straight to Cubase le 1.0. The bass is lined in and using an ampeg bass model. No click track used.

What levels can we raise/lower to improve the mix?
Any other suggestions to improve the song?

Can't control individual drums, only kick and then the rest.
Sorry for the non-professional quality.

Thanks
Nate
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 number_one_final.mp3 (3.10 MB, 622 views)
Mesaman88
2nd May 2009
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Head

Bump
No suggestions?
3rd May 2009
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear interested

I like the song. Sounds like a good group of musicians! the song sounds tight without being robotic. Good job. I would cut some low end off the guitar and add some 2k to bring it forward in the mix as well as make some room for the bass guitar. I think the vocals are quite good, but overall, the mix sounds distant. I'd love to see the snare come further forward too.

I listened on Sony MDR 7506 headphones
3rd May 2009
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Those cymbals are killing me. They're the star of the track. Turn them down or redo with a lot less of them. Maybe play the hihats instead? My 2 cents. Good start on everything else.
Mesaman88
3rd May 2009
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies thus far!!!
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to fakiekid
just my general impression,

drop the kick and OH's a little, guitar is quite boxy, needs a slight upper mid boost aswell. vocs too quiet or guitars too loud? not sure.

initial thoughts.
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

Overall everything a bit muffled , if i were ya recorded if that was an option .
Vocal melodies and singer himself sound good allbet a bit muffled in the mix
Bass gtr is really not very Aubile bring it up

I know you only have one track with all the drums on it so what you can do is duplicate that and make one the kick and snare and one cymabls via eq

cymbals really overpower everything in a nastry/harsh/washy way thats make it hard to listen to.

get into a studio !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search