Comments on my "style"... Obscuresounds - Land of Milk & Honey
Grimbog
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Gear addict

Smile Comments please... Obscuresounds - Land of Milk & Honey (sampling, electronic, rock)

I'm basically a sample freak - I love the whole DJ Shadows/Avalanches sound, and always wanted to do the same style, but mixing in my own ideas.

So, this is the first rendition of my latest piece of work - for now I've released it under the Creative Commons License as it contains many many samples from various sources. Any sign of protest from any of these parties will mean that I will have to remove it, but until that time please feel free to enjoy it!

http://www.obscuresounds.com/audio/milk_honey.mp3

I would very much appreciate any comments people may have on the mix (good or bad please).

The track itself is meant to be a joke. The german lyrics are about "schlaraffenland", or translated in to english "land of milk & honey"... think along the lines of Atlantis, or utopia. It then cuts away to an english chorus about a guy tripping out on mushrooms. The idea is that the guy is in this "schlaraffenland".

It's highly experimental from a sampling sense. So... does it work?
Grimbog
10th November 2008
Old 10th November 2008
Gear addict

Thumbs up

obligatory 'bump'...
Grimbog
12th November 2008
Old 12th November 2008
Gear addict

obligatory 'bump' 2...
Grimbog
13th November 2008
Old 13th November 2008
Gear addict

obligatory 'bump' 3...
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

That is a dope track man. The drums sounds are mad dope! The chorals samples are nice too. It reminds me a updated mix of Dangermouse and Shadow.
My stuff is inspired by those artists too. Check out my link. I dont sample though, I play everything.
Grimbog
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Gear addict

Hey Switchcraft,

Glad you enjoyed the track! Been thinking about adding in a break section before the last chorus kicks back in, but for the most part the feedback has been amazing!

Still a bit of a mountain to climb trying to clear these samples, but we'll see what happens - really want to try and see if this'll work commercially.

Just been going through your site - love the sounds you got going! What kinda kit do you use?
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, I would give up trying to clear those samples homie. The costs wont outweigh the income. That is why I got away from samples. i use live instruments and logic. \grand pianos when I can get one for free, Vibes, upright bass, les paul guitar, J bass, hand percs, rhodes etc. I dont much of those, but I find my way to them.
Logic too
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Grimbog, I really like the beginning of the track the best. The drums and female vocals. After that the mix get's a little too busy for my taste. Also, it's much too loud, smashed with brick wall limiting. This increases the problems of differentiating individual elements in the mix and doesn't give the song much room to breath.

Switchcraft, I just got through checking out your website. Very cool sounding stuff. I'm digging Radio Recession.

Cheers,

bc
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

BC, Thanks,
Again, I would say I dig the song in general, but it does have too many layers for my taste. sometimes sparse arrangements are more effective. of course, I break that idea too, but I think it would clean up the song a bit.
Grimbog
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Gear addict

Hey guys,

Thanks once again for the kind comments and advice - totally see where you're coming from with the heavy layering. I'll try to ease off on the limiting a little (been listening to way too much french house which feeds off of extreme squashing).

So far the general sounds seem good, but one line of comments I've also been getting is that there's lots of stuff packed in to a short amount of time.

I'll continue working at it. Played it around in a few places last night and the reactions been pretty good though!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search