butterfly
29th March 2005
Old 29th March 2005
Lives for gear

rb club mix.

This is an updated mix of something I posted just before xmas. Have done some more vox and tweaked arrangement and mix. I am about to start approaching dj's with this. It has been mastered (not a pro job) quickly through some TC. software. Would be interested in some opinions regarding mix and mastering and any other thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 I want you back club mix.mp3 (5.59 MB, 949 views)
butterfly
31st March 2005
Old 31st March 2005
Lives for gear

Come on fellas, someone must have an opinion on the mix, song? I've been busting my chops on this one, so come on show a little love or even a little hate!
31st March 2005
Old 31st March 2005
Gear addict

sounds great - the music is not my cup of bag but it´s sounds really good.
1st April 2005
Old 1st April 2005
Lives for gear

sounds great man...where do you get clean claps like that?
2nd April 2005
Old 2nd April 2005
A little bit too much compression on the vocals for my taste.

Also the female vocals could be tad less strident and more silkier.

I think the whole mix overall could use a little bit a "smooth butter" to take away from the "digital taste".
butterfly
2nd April 2005
Old 2nd April 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments. The claps are a mixture of a rim type snare eq'ed to give a little "meat" to the sound and a clap eq'ed to sound bright and in your face. Thrill factor I agree. I think the room we recorded the vox was less than perfect. Also we eq'ed with software (focusrite eq plug) and compressed with bomb factory. The studio also has a 1176 which we didn't hook up, also an old hardware AMS reverb. Would it be worth trying those do you think? before we commit the cd to a press or is it just some erroneous settings with the software? How would we get a smooth buttery sound?
3rd April 2005
Old 3rd April 2005
Lives for gear

sounds really nice, I like everything but the girls' levels and brittleness. I would do some automation on those "forgive me please" and "I want you back" BUT it sounds nice, I don't think the compression is that much on the mains but the backgrounds maybe.

R&B in the UK coming back again? I'm a big fan of 1988-1991 UK soul music. I lived there then. I just found a Chimes cassette!

Holla,

BaseJase
ILLYnoise
butterfly
3rd April 2005
Old 3rd April 2005
Lives for gear

Hey illynoise thanks for the reply. what about the girls levels is she too loud or too quiet?
3rd April 2005
Old 3rd April 2005
Lives for gear

Of course I'm not listening in the studio, but on these JBL's I have here at home, the girls sound loud when she comes in on those transients at the beginning of the chorus and in the middle of the chorus, the words I said before, I think that it's just a matter of too many vocals and no automation on those transients to lower them.

Peace out,

BaseJase
ILLYnoise
4th April 2005
Old 4th April 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly
Thanks for the comments. The claps are a mixture of a rim type snare eq'ed to give a little "meat" to the sound and a clap eq'ed to sound bright and in your face. Thrill factor I agree. I think the room we recorded the vox was less than perfect. Also we eq'ed with software (focusrite eq plug) and compressed with bomb factory. The studio also has a 1176 which we didn't hook up, also an old hardware AMS reverb. Would it be worth trying those do you think? before we commit the cd to a press or is it just some erroneous settings with the software? How would we get a smooth buttery sound?

It definitely sounds like it was mixed in the box.

I think this is where mixing on an analog console(SSL) can help.

Yeah introducing good outboard helps, even though the 1176 would be the wrong comp for these vocal types.

The AMS reverb may help, but the sound of modern R&B is more upfront and dry.
butterfly
5th April 2005
Old 5th April 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks again for the replies illynoise and thrill. Listening to the vox in the light of what you have said I do hear a lot of harshness which is kind of worrying, not really sure what to do beyond automation. Simply don't have access to decent outboard and certainly not an SSL. Thrill when you say 1176 is wrong comp for these voices, what would you recommend? Also although I'm aware that to-days rb is dry and upfront I feel in this case that as the voice moves through the chorus and peaks it certainly needs a bit of bloom which could be helped by some nice reverb?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search