Hard rock/metal song for review and suggestions
jhanse
9th August 2008
Old 9th August 2008
Gear interested

Hard rock/metal song for review and suggestions

Hi!

I just wrote, played (all instruments), recorded, mixed and briefly mastered this song over the last 2 days and have come to this mix down... And I'd just like to hear your opinion and what to improve (soundwise of course)...

Thanks in advance

Jan
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 01 - The Soft Spot2.mp3 (4.38 MB, 557 views)
10th August 2008
Old 10th August 2008
Gear maniac

It asks me to complete a survey before I can download, try using a different upload site.
jhanse
10th August 2008
Old 10th August 2008
Gear interested

OK, done. =)
11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Banned

Ok..I give..What in the hell are the vox saying in the begining!!

Mix sounds pretty good..I like it..but have no clue what the vox are in the chorse!!
11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Head

I like it, especially the guitar sound. I could use a bit more cymbals IMHO.

How did you record the guits?
jhanse
11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Gear interested

Drums - sampled (drumkit from hell)
Bass - Fender J-Bass -> DI
Guitars - Hughes&Kettner Triamp -> Triamp 4x12 box -> 3x SM57 at different positions...
Another layer of guitars was made through Guitar Rig 3. I used two different sounds through the normal amping (both double-tracked), and two different sounds through GR3, also both double-tracked. So that's 8 guitar tacks, panned hard LR.

Vocals - in the beginning 1 track center with a bitcrusher so it distorts like it does, and two tracks panned hard LR but whispered and high-passed radically. I guess that's why it's hard to understand... I'll try to make it more intelligible! Thanks for the feedback!
11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Gear maniac

I'd just say bring the vocals up slightly and maybe add a bit of high end on the guitars to give them a bit more bite.

All in all I like it
11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Gear interested

whoa man that is cool, how did you go about recording all the instruments by yourself. Like which did you do first and how did you keep timing on that one?
jhanse
12th August 2008
Old 12th August 2008
Gear interested

I sampled the drums first and made a scratch track of the whole song in a few minutes... just cutting and pasting of guitar riffs... Then I recorded the 4 GR3 rhythms, then the 4 layers of the miked amp (with my amp and guitar in the control room, so I could work with Cubase all the while I was recording), Then came the bass through DI, after that I recorded the vocals (also from the control room, just put some curtains around and some foam in front of the mic). That was one day... The next day I recorded the lead guitars, made a rough mix, used a ton of compressors and shit and just popped an L2 on the stereo buss. That's that.

Oh, and for the timing... A click track!!
12th August 2008
Old 12th August 2008
Gear nut

Hi!

First of all I'm listening on headphones...

I like the bass sound. Guitars could have more punch. The reverb/delay on the vocals is a bit apparent and the there is a hint of distortion on the drums (kick maybe).

Nice song, The "the lo-fi" vocal sound works when here and there.
jhanse
12th August 2008
Old 12th August 2008
Gear interested

I agree about the guitars... The vocals, I can't help... These are practically scratch vocals recorded in a not so treated situation, so this is natural reverb, could not get rid of it... Thanks for the feedback!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search