Old 26th May 2008
Gear nut

check out my mix

i just finished recording school yesterday, and this is the song i used for my final project. it was co-produced, tracked, mixed and mastered by me...

i'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, considering i had never touched a microphone or mixing console before i started audio school one year ago. i'd like to get your thoughts on the song... the production, recording and mix.

i know some of you will feel the need to tear it apart, and i'm cool with that. i just hope that if you do feel the need to tear it apart, at least try to be constructive

it was recorded with some rather modest mics and pres, and mixed all in the box...

so, here it is: mp3 inside

have at it!
Old 26th May 2008
Gear nut

Thumbs up

It actually sounds quite good to me.

I like the drums and acc git and the bass.

BUT:

For me the e-guitars suck. Sounds a bit like guitar rig.(althoug i think they were recorded) I think i miss at least a little bit of room ambience - I always like that on my guitars.
But maybe that's just a matter of taste.

In the verse the singer is not embedded in the mix very well - but i like it in the chorus.

That Flangersweep before the bridge is quite... i don't know. But I'm maybe a bit flangerill due to all those dj's fooling constantly around with that DJM500 Flanger - I just don't like it.

And maybe recheck your mastering, on my two systems the song sounds more different then other mastered stuff - I think its something in the mid mids (if there's anything like that)

But overall - good job!
Old 26th May 2008
Sounds really good. Balance mix is pretty spot on, which is really the core of getting a mix. Great job man.

Few things I'd like to point out that you may want to think about, all of which are kind of minor:

-Overall mix should be brighter around 3-8K. Especially on the guitars.

-Snare seems dead and lifeless. I'm guessing the head was shot, but either way it needed more top end to it, compression was close but not quite.

-Less overheads/rooms in mix. Drums a bit washed out from that. Also, too much upper high-end boost on the OH's.

-Bass could be a little bit more pinned in the mix. Bit more prevalent.

-Wouldn't mind a little more punch to the kick.
Old 26th May 2008
Gear nut

right on, thanks for the replies!!

all the sounds are recorded, so there is no guitar rig'ing of any kind going on. that would have fallen outside of the requirements for the assignment.

your suggestions are great though, keep them coming!

i'm glad to be done with school and i'm looking forward to taking a couple weeks off before i start the heavy internship/assistant engineer position hunt.
Old 26th May 2008
Gear nut

bump!

any more takers?
Old 27th May 2008
Gear nut

75 views and only 2 comments? oh well..

thanks to everyone who listened and gave me their thoughts!
Old 29th May 2008
Gear nut

This is a really nice mix, well balanced. I do think the drums are a bit bright and the electric seems a bit flat but the playing was good it just sounded flat. Maybe it's the way it was mic'ed. Overall, you did a great job. Good luck with your future endevors.
Old 3rd June 2008
Gear nut

thanks! i really enjoy mixing and will definitely pursue it as a career. i'm surprised no one really had anything bad to say about the mix so far! i see people mixes getting ripped to shreds on this site on a daily basis, so i guess i should be proud of that fact... it's good to know i'm on the right track.
Old 4th June 2008
Lives for gear

Really enjoyed it, great mix and song!

If I had to critique it would be very minor.

I found the oohs panned a little hard and distracted just a little. Maybe brought down a hair.

Also, the guitar solo at the end maybe down 1db.

I liked the EQ and I think the drums fit the song the way they are (leave 'em)

Nice job, thanks for postingthumbsup
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search