Hardcore / Screamo mix ...
Old 23rd May 2008
Gear maniac

Hardcore / Screamo mix ...

So I rarely do this, but I thought it'd be fun to see what all of you think! I'm always looking to learn and improve my mixes. Here is a recent hardcore/screamo band that I just did. Let me know your thoughts! Critique away.

Casanova Rodeo.mp3

I'll start by stating that I was not excited about having to master it this loud. There is audible clipping. However, the band said they were fine with it and would rather have the volume.

Last edited by Matt Grabe; 23rd May 2008 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Fix link
Old 26th May 2008
Gear interested

Nice job

I really liked the guitars, mix, vocals, low end, high end, and everything else in between. The only thing I don't like is the click in the bass drum. I think it's just a bit louder in the mix than it should be. Other than that.

Great!!!

Nate

Good band too.
Old 31st May 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffscience81 View Post
The only thing I don't like is the click in the bass drum. I think it's just a bit louder in the mix than it should be.
It is a bit clicky! Thank you for your input!

Anybody else?
Old 1st June 2008
Gear interested

sounds good man...i agree with the click in the kick, yes i definetly hear clipping...sucks everyone wants everything so loud huh?
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

Pretty cool, I agree that the kick is a little clicky, and lacks a little low-mid punch. I thought the vocals sounded cool, love the lo-fi harmony thing. The guitars may be a little too loud, or too wide, for some reason they seemed a little detached to me, but not a big thing. The only thing I hear that I maybe would have spent more time on is the snare. It seems to get really lost when the band is playing, sounds fine on the little roll sections, but disappears a bit in the heavy parts.

Overall a very nice, polished sounding mix, if I were mastering it, I'd likely do some m/s work to bring the center up a little and tame the sides.

Good job!
Old 1st June 2008
Gear nut

Great sounding track!

How did you record/mix guitars?
Standard 57? Doubled a few times? Panned LR?

Good job!
Old 1st June 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerGuy09 View Post
How did you record/mix guitars?
Standard 57? Doubled a few times? Panned LR?
I'm glad you enjoy it!

The left guitar was...

Gibson Les Paul Studio -> ENGL Powerball -> Mesa 4x12 Vintage 30 cab -> Gefell UM900 -> API 312

The right guitar was the same setup but a 5150 head.

No doubles, just the two guitar players with one track each (a few dubs here and there). And yes, they were hard panned L & R.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search