Mastering Engineer Wanted -11 song Rock Album
cactuseskimo
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
Gear interested

Mastering Engineer Wanted -11 song Rock Album

Hello,

Looking for a mastering engineer to master an 11 song album that clocks in at 48:45. This is an independent release and we are on a budget, but could work in the $400-600 range. The material is kind of ambient rock/alternative, and it was mixed with a very dynamic, punchy, and not overly compressed feel. I would like to maintain this feel, but while adding a bit of a 60's/70's record vibe to it. A little dirt and grit.

I love the "soul" or "air" that the Jimi Hendrix, Come Together Beatles era, The Who, etc recordings have. I actually find some of the same feel in the Blue Album and Pinkerton by Weezer.

I don't want to make a vintage record per se, but I definitely want to impart some of the soul of them in there - whilst remaining dynamic and punchy/powerful sounding.

We would be looking to start as soon as the beginning of next week (March 22nd), or asap thereafter. Just so you can get a feel for some of the material, here is a couple links to songs:

Song 1 - Let Go

Song 2 - Let Me fall

Please PM with your details, website, contact info, etc.

Thanks!

-Luke
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseskimo View Post
Hello,

Looking for a mastering engineer to master an 11 song album that clocks in at 48:45. This is an independent release and we are on a budget, but could work in the $400-600 range. The material is kind of ambient rock/alternative, and it was mixed with a very dynamic, punchy, and not overly compressed feel. I would like to maintain this feel, but while adding a bit of a 60's/70's record vibe to it. A little dirt and grit.

I love the "soul" or "air" that the Jimi Hendrix, Come Together Beatles era, The Who, etc recordings have. I actually find some of the same feel in the Blue Album and Pinkerton by Weezer.

I don't want to make a vintage record per se, but I definitely want to impart some of the soul of them in there - whilst remaining dynamic and punchy/powerful sounding.

We would be looking to start as soon as the beginning of next week (March 22nd), or asap thereafter. Just so you can get a feel for some of the material, here is a couple links to songs:

Song 1 - Let Go

Song 2 - Let Me fall

Please PM with your details, website, contact info, etc.

Thanks!

-Luke
Hey Luke:

We are definitely in your price range for Indie Projects.

Here's my info:

Silverbirch Productions, Toronto

You should be able to find what ever you need from this link.

Thanks,

Andy
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010
Gear maniac

Hello,
PM sent.
15th March 2010
Old 15th March 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Mod note: business responses via PM please, not in the body of the thread. Thanks.
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Head

Mastering

We're in!

PM Sent.
cactuseskimo
17th March 2010
Old 17th March 2010
Gear interested

Just a quick reply to everyone who has contacted me, or submitted a master and is waiting for a reply - I will get to you! There have been quite a few responses, but I will personally get back to all of you (as long as I can keep track of everyone). Thanks so much. I will be making my decision early next week, so don't panic if you haven't heard from me before then.

-Luke
RTR
17th March 2010
Old 17th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Can you say "Piranhas"
Old 17th March 2010
Gear addict

Crystal Mixing (and Mastering)

18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Head

PM Sent
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Head

it´s always a bad idea to put a limiter on the master-channel!
cactuseskimo
21st March 2010
Old 21st March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by leary View Post
it´s always a bad idea to put a limiter on the master-channel!
There is a limiter on the mp3 file sample, but that's just a sample upload. There is nothing on the 2 bus of the actual mix I am sending out for mastering.
cactuseskimo
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Gear interested

Hi, sorry for not pm'ing everyone personally, but there are far too many people who responded to do that. I would like to thank everyone who took some time to make a demo, and I really do appreciate it.

Also, Bob of Transcending Music Studio's took a little time to help fine-tune one of my mixes, so a big thanks there.

Basically, I thought there were several good "masters" submitted, and I could of easily chose 5 or 6 of you, but I decided to go with Silverbirch Productions in Toronto, because they also had the added advantage of being close to me so I can attend in person and deal with them directly.

But, before I sign off, I just wanted to give a quick thumbs up to a few of you, and recommend them for anyone else who may be reading this thread. I thought these guys did a great job:

1) Bob @ Mixing, Mastering Audio Services|Transcending Music Studios
2) John @ John Moran Mastering - Houston, Texas
3) Thor @ Sonovo mastering
4) Tom @ Waltz Audio Mastering - eMastering Online, Mixing Studio and Vocal Recording - Boston MA USA
5) Jac @ www.lafucinastudio.com
6) Maarten @ www.tubefreakmastering.com
7) Dave @ Sonopod

(please note - this is not a ranking!)

Most of the others were quite good as well, but the above really stood out to me.

Thanks everyone. Best of Luck!
jac
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
jac
Gear maniac

Hey man!! Thanks to you... It was good to have the chance to cooperate with you.

Best of luck for your project!! thumbsup
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Luke,

thanks for the kind words. I know you'll get great results with Andy, best of luck on your project!

Cheers,
Thor
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Luke,

Thanks for the props and best of luck with the album. I also appreciated the opportunity to have a completely unfamiliar arms length track to work on as I shake down the new room. You helped me out by confirming that what I'm hearing in there is holding up on the outside.

Happy to help you or anyone else who needs it. It's what we as mastering engineers do every day.

JM

Last edited by John Moran; 25th March 2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: kant spel, gud gramar, etc....
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Luke, you are a stand up guy thumbsup Thanks for post, was my pleasure to help out. Good luck with the mastering, and report back when it's done.
-Bob
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure Andy K. will do a killer job for you.
cactuseskimo
27th March 2010
Old 27th March 2010
Gear interested

Just another quick note - my list up above of recommended engineers was not a ranking - just a list!

Best of luck everyone!

A shout-out was the least I could do!

Luke
14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Head

follow my firm
12th July 2010
Old 12th July 2010
Gear nut

cactuseskimo
10th August 2010
Old 10th August 2010
Gear interested

Hey Guys. This is just a follow up to this old thread. Andy Krehm from Silverbirch in Toronto, ON ended up doing the mastering for the album and did a stellar job. I wanted to take a moment and thank all the mastering engineers for the samples and advice they provided though, so I humbly submit some links below along with 3 free mp's from the album. Enjoy, and thanks!

1) Website - www.keepyouhonest.com
2) Lose Control Zombie Music Film
3) 3 Free Mp3's from the album as a thanks to all those who took time to do a sample master!

Hope you enjoy it, and drop me a line if you so feel inclined!

Luke - Vocalist/Guitarist (and recording engineer - keep you honest
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search