Broadcast safe filter
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Broadcast safe filter

Hi,
I mentioned in another thread I'm doing lots of graphics customisation. Most of the time this goes to HDCAM or Digibeta. Our client needs this tape to be broadcast safe, basically luminance not above 700mV. He advised us to use the "Broadcast Safe" Filter in Final Cut Pro. This is straightforward but it's a major PITA because it must be rendered and it's so slooooow. Is there any other Plug-in or even HW which would let me apply this limiter?
Also is there a way to quickly analyse a file (ProRes) and have a log of luma overs?
Thanks!!
Old 29th December 2012
Broadcast Safe levels in FCP

first thing, is that i would not utilize a broadcast filter until everything is edited. Then I would drop the filter on either a rendered version of the entire file, or on a nested sequence last. Either way, the Broadcast Safe filter should always be the last filter applied to a clip to make sure al the other filters that may or may not cause illegal values are corrected.

Here are the video processing steps, in order:

- Filters (filters that appear at the top of the Filters tab in the Viewer are processed first, followed by filters that appear later)
- Motion parameters such as Scale and Rotation and attributes such as Crop and Distort
- Transitions between two clips in a track
- Compositing modes that blend one or more video clip items together
- Filters applied to the entire sequence (achieved by nesting a sequence and then applying a filter to it)

Motion parameters, transitions, and compositing modes can alter the results of the Broadcast Safe filter applied to individual clips.

Another way is using COLOR app.

If you have the COLOR s/w in your FCP suite , that has a very good set of monitors and can provide you with data prior to dealing with the broadcast safe filter as well... If you complete your edit, and then export to COLOR, COLOR will automatically open with your edits, and then you can check to see where you need a filter or not. COLOR doesn't have a broadcast safe filter, but once you set your limits in a grade, just apply that to the clips that require it.

Also check out RGB filter... it clamps the same way and works to get thru QC.

Or last but not least.... just use the video scopes in FCP.

cheers
geo
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search