New Reply
Subscribe
EvilDragon
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

BREAKING NEWS: Stephen Howell (Hollow Sun) passed away early this morning

Hello, everyone.

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that my employer and a great, great friend, Stephen Howell, has passed away early this morning after three days of hospitalization. I was informed about all this by his daughter, Alice. I don't know all the details unfortunately, but severe liver damage was in question.

I will stay in contact with the Howell family, we have to figure out what will become of Hollow Sun. It would not be the same without Steve, of course, but I am adamant about keeping his legacy in some way, if at all possible. I've been acquainted with several of his good friends, Dan from Hideaway Studios and Rod of Atomic Shadow, we will do a mind-meld and come up with something, I hope.

For now, all I can say is that Steve will be greatly missed, and that is an understatement. I am still beyond words and in deep shock as I type this.

RIP, Steve. Say hello to mr. Korg and mr. AKAI wherever you've gone to now. ;_;
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

oh wow.. I bought several of his products, and always enjoyed his take on bizarre and arcane sources of sounds as well as the overall aesthetic. Very unique.

RIP Mr Hollow Sun.
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

Oh my I'm really sorry to hear that. My condolences. Was it sudden?
EvilDragon
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Was it sudden?
I wouldn't say so... he loved to have a drink. Or few. Liver damage (probably cirrhosis) was what hospitalized him.

Still, having those stubborn Welsh genes, I'd expected him to pull through this one. Unfortunately, that was not the case. :(
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

Well as someone who has loved something that almost killed me I unfortunentely understand only too well.lucky I got out alive
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Gear Head

My deepest condolences. Quite a legacy he left behind. Hollow Sun is amazing. Hope you all can keep it alive.
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

oh wow - very sad - he was a real character and good guy on the scene. RIP
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Gear addict

Terribly sad. My condolences to his family. I hope they get to read the forums and see how much he'll be missed.

I've used his kontakt libraries for some time and they're among the best. Real outside-the-box thinking went into them and made them great fun to use. The music world is all the poorer for his passing.

I hope you guys can find a way to keep things going, and I hope that flame can be passed to someone who is just as passionate about their synth libraries, if such a person exists.

Rest in Peace, Steve.
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Gear nut

RIP Stephen.

rich
31st May 2014
Old 31st May 2014
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to Arthur Stone
1st June 2014
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Steve.
1st June 2014
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

Wow. Rip.
2nd June 2014
Old 2nd June 2014
Gear interested

Really sorry to hear that...love Hollow Sun. Stephen was one hell of a great guy and a genius developer.
3rd June 2014
Old 3rd June 2014
GS Community Manager

Very sad to read this. :( Condolences all around and may he rest in peace. He's certainly left a cool legacy and I very much hope Hollow Sun manages to carry on one way or another.

Gearslutz on Facebook!

My personal Twitter - @WhitecatTV
3rd June 2014
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear nut

Just read the interveiw there, really facinating how he started for akia........my condolences

R.I.P
5th June 2014
Old 5th June 2014
Gear addict

Only just got wind of this via Sonicstate - such a sad loss and my condolences to the Howell family. Remember years ago when I was at uni we discussed sampling of the Solina String Ensemble... such a sad loss to the community, and I really hope that Hollow Sun continues to live on in some form or another. RIP.

Obscuresounds Ltd.
www.obscuresounds.com
EvilDragon
9th June 2014
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

Small update.

I have managed to get ahold of credentials for site hosting Steve used for Hollow Sun - Hand Crafted Sample Libraries. I will be editing all product pages and disabling the "Add to cart" buttons on them for the time being. It's best if sales aren't happening for the time being because we don't know what will happen with the funds on Steve's Paypal account (and what will happen with that account in general).

So, until further notice, Hollow Sun products (except freebies) are not going to be available. I will try to make them available as soon as legally possible.

I will keep you guys posted, of course.
12th June 2014
Old 12th June 2014
Lives for gear

RIP Steve .
12th June 2014
Old 12th June 2014
Lives for gear

RIP Steve .
4 Weeks Ago
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict

Sad news, I used to chat with Steve over at SOS, I've got one of his soft synth's. Interesting guy, my condolences, to his family and friends.

WB.
4 Weeks Ago
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Very sad to hear this. I have to say that Steve has been a massive inspiration to me in my life and career. We met at high school here in Cardiff. Steve was doing amazing music for the school plays in 1977 using his ARP Axxe, Mellotron, Crumar performer and two Sony reel to reel decks. I was captivated and he set me on a lifelong love of electronic music and sound. I owe a lot to him, a lovely man and an inspiration. My condolences to Angela and Alice.
Simon Jones - Soundworks, Cardiff.
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

This is dreadful news, the man was a rare talent and a real credit it to the industry. Eclectic and individual products, I loved them. And at fair prices.

Of all the junk we received, I always looked forward to Stephen's emails to see what whacky synth he has newly crafted.

He will be sorely missed. Our condolences to all his family.

2 Days Ago
Old 2 Days Ago
Gear Head

Wow, I just saw this. One of my favorite sample artists, and one of the few that could be called artists. So much more of his stuff I wanted to buy, and someone I wanted to meet.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search