Login / Register
 
Henryk Mikołaj Górecki died today
New Reply
Subscribe
Empiria
Thread Starter
#1
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #1
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 362

Thread Starter
Empiria is offline
Henryk Mikołaj Górecki died today

It is sad to say that the great composer has died in a hospital in Katowice, Poland. Just two days ago Krzysztof Penderecki visited him. He promised to lead Gorecki's 'Beatus vir'. He was almost 77. He lived in a little village of Zab with a wonderful view on the Tatra mountains in the south. I love to hike there. Thanks God for his live and music.
__________________
Tomasz Michalak
www.EmpiriaStudio.pl
#2
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #2
Gear maniac
 
IndigoBandit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 178

IndigoBandit is offline
Great composer. I'll never forget the first time I heard the Dawn Upshaw/Kent Nagano recording of Symphony number 3, reading the liner notes and bawling pathetically! Amazingly moving music. He'll definitely be missed.
#3
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tenor39's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 631

tenor39 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBandit View Post
Great composer. I'll never forget the first time I heard the Dawn Upshaw/Kent Nagano recording of Symphony number 3, reading the liner notes and bawling pathetically! Amazingly moving music. He'll definitely be missed.
Indeed. I had a similar experience, as he was part of a documentary on PBS in the States. It was about him, his music, and the "Final Solution". His writing was truly divinely inspired.
__________________
Mike Morgan
Isle of Skye Audio Productions
#4
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 8,123

John Willett is offline
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria View Post
It is sad to say that the great composer has died in a hospital in Katowice, Poland. Just two days ago Krzysztof Penderecki visited him. He promised to lead Gorecki's 'Beatus vir'. He was almost 77. He lived in a little village of Zab with a wonderful view on the Tarta Mountains in the south. I love to hike there. Thanks God for his live and music.

That's very sad - I met him in London once at the Classic Music Awards.

77 is very young nowadays.

But the Tatra mountains (I assume you meant Tatra and not Tarta) are one of my favourite places, though I normally visit the southern slopes.
__________________
John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio Ltd.
Circle Sound Services

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
Empiria
Thread Starter
#5
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #5
Gear addict
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 362

Thread Starter
Empiria is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
But the Tatra mountains (I assume you meant Tatra and not Tarta) are one of my favourite places, though I normally visit the southern slopes.
That is nice to hear, John. The northern part is impressive, too. Would be glad to meet you there one day.

I made the Tatra correct. Thanks!
#6
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: LC
Posts: 1,860

piotr is offline
Tremendous loss. Very sad news indeed.
But we did receive the amazing gift of his music, and for that I am grateful.
p.
__________________

Labor Camp Orchestra


We Are Working All The Time!
+


>>>>>> FS: api-5500 mint!
#7
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
otobianki74's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,133

otobianki74 is offline
Górecki

r.i.p.

when I was working at nonesuch records in the early 90's I remember being told that the only albums from their roster of artists at the time that went platinum were of course the gypsy kings (which they distributed) and górecki's symphony no. 3. I thought that was amazing.

oto
#8
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: LC
Posts: 1,860

piotr is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
r.i.p.

when I was working at nonesuch records in the early 90's I remember being told that the only albums from their roster of artists at the time that went platinum were of course the gypsy kings (which they distributed) and górecki's symphony no. 3. I thought that was amazing.

oto
That is interesting.
Partly, because his music feels so deeply intimate. Very privet, inner kind of experience. And as such, I never thought of it as a "commercial success"...
Of course it does make sense that it would be, perhaps precisely because of that sense of intimacy and earnestness.
p.
#9
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: EARS/Chicago
Posts: 5,562

Plush is offline
Henryk Mikołaj Górecki died today

A sad day for Polish music and for great music everywhere. Blessings on his memory.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
__________________
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
#10
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Schaap's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 530

Schaap is offline
Sad news. A great versatile Polish composer with powerful and moving compositions.
RIP
#11
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 8,123

John Willett is offline
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria View Post
That is nice to hear, John. The northern part is impressive, too. Would be glad to meet you there one day.

I made the Tatra correct. Thanks!
Would be nice - I presume you mean in the Zakopane area?

My wife is Slovak and I get down that way two or three times a year if I can (hopefully next time at Christmas).
#12
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,111

ray_subsonic is offline
I hope he passed away peacefully.

We have lost one of our most important composers. I'm wishing he had published or released more of his composition during his lifetime. Maybe more of his work will be unearthed, although what he left us with is still remarkable. He is one of the few composers in this day and age, who has spoken clearly through his music.

Symphony No. 3 is one of the most moving pieces of music I have ever heard. The recording with Dawn Upshaw truly does him justice. It is like a bright searing light in the darkness of Winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
We did receive the amazing gift of his music, and for that I am grateful.
True.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sleepwalker / For those we have lost. Memorials, RIPs & Obituaries
12
KevWest / For those we have lost. Memorials, RIPs & Obituaries
15
T_R_S / The Moan Zone
46
andre tchmil / So much gear, so little time!
9

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.