Henryk Mikołaj Górecki died today
Empiria
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Gear addict

It is sad to say that the great composer has died in a hospital in Katowice, Poland. Just two days ago Krzysztof Penderecki visited him. He promised to lead Gorecki's 'Beatus vir'. He was almost 77. He lived in a little village of Zab with a wonderful view on the Tatra mountains in the south. I love to hike there. Thanks God for his live and music.
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Gear maniac

Great composer. I'll never forget the first time I heard the Dawn Upshaw/Kent Nagano recording of Symphony number 3, reading the liner notes and bawling pathetically! Amazingly moving music. He'll definitely be missed.
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBandit View Post
Great composer. I'll never forget the first time I heard the Dawn Upshaw/Kent Nagano recording of Symphony number 3, reading the liner notes and bawling pathetically! Amazingly moving music. He'll definitely be missed.
Indeed. I had a similar experience, as he was part of a documentary on PBS in the States. It was about him, his music, and the "Final Solution". His writing was truly divinely inspired.
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria View Post
It is sad to say that the great composer has died in a hospital in Katowice, Poland. Just two days ago Krzysztof Penderecki visited him. He promised to lead Gorecki's 'Beatus vir'. He was almost 77. He lived in a little village of Zab with a wonderful view on the Tarta Mountains in the south. I love to hike there. Thanks God for his live and music.

That's very sad - I met him in London once at the Classic Music Awards.

77 is very young nowadays.

But the Tatra mountains (I assume you meant Tatra and not Tarta) are one of my favourite places, though I normally visit the southern slopes.
Empiria
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
But the Tatra mountains (I assume you meant Tatra and not Tarta) are one of my favourite places, though I normally visit the southern slopes.
That is nice to hear, John. The northern part is impressive, too. Would be glad to meet you there one day.

I made the Tatra correct. Thanks!
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Tremendous loss. Very sad news indeed.
But we did receive the amazing gift of his music, and for that I am grateful.
p.
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Górecki

r.i.p.

when I was working at nonesuch records in the early 90's I remember being told that the only albums from their roster of artists at the time that went platinum were of course the gypsy kings (which they distributed) and górecki's symphony no. 3. I thought that was amazing.

oto
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
r.i.p.

when I was working at nonesuch records in the early 90's I remember being told that the only albums from their roster of artists at the time that went platinum were of course the gypsy kings (which they distributed) and górecki's symphony no. 3. I thought that was amazing.

oto
That is interesting.
Partly, because his music feels so deeply intimate. Very privet, inner kind of experience. And as such, I never thought of it as a "commercial success"...
Of course it does make sense that it would be, perhaps precisely because of that sense of intimacy and earnestness.
p.
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

A sad day for Polish music and for great music everywhere. Blessings on his memory.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
12th November 2010
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Sad news. A great versatile Polish composer with powerful and moving compositions.
RIP
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria View Post
That is nice to hear, John. The northern part is impressive, too. Would be glad to meet you there one day.

I made the Tatra correct. Thanks!
Would be nice - I presume you mean in the Zakopane area?

My wife is Slovak and I get down that way two or three times a year if I can (hopefully next time at Christmas).
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

I hope he passed away peacefully.

We have lost one of our most important composers. I'm wishing he had published or released more of his composition during his lifetime. Maybe more of his work will be unearthed, although what he left us with is still remarkable. He is one of the few composers in this day and age, who has spoken clearly through his music.

Symphony No. 3 is one of the most moving pieces of music I have ever heard. The recording with Dawn Upshaw truly does him justice. It is like a bright searing light in the darkness of Winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
We did receive the amazing gift of his music, and for that I am grateful.
True.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search