what to do with my leftover foam
Krush411
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

what to do with my leftover foam

So I just got OC 703 to put all over my room. I have 6 2x4 Auralex foam sheets that I'm not using. Would it be a good idea to put the Auralex foam on my ceiling? Just trying to make a good room for recording vocals and had some leftover foam thought I'd make some use out of it.
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Head

Try to hang your OC703 so that it's not directly against the ceiling and walls, and if you can, hang different panels at different distances from the walls. You'll get much better results like that. (Maybe that's what you were going to do anyway, it's just I think most people just stick it straight onto the walls, as they don't understand how absorbent acoustic treatment works.)
Krush411
4th January 2014
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermedland View Post
Try to hang your OC703 so that it's not directly against the ceiling and walls, and if you can, hang different panels at different distances from the walls. You'll get much better results like that. (Maybe that's what you were going to do anyway, it's just I think most people just stick it straight onto the walls, as they don't understand how absorbent acoustic treatment works.)
Most pictures I've seen are of them stuck directly on the wall. Can you show me a picture of how yours is layed out and what you used to make them stick out and not be on the wall directly?

Thanks.
4th January 2014
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Head

I've drilled hooks into the joists in the ceiling, and I hang a panel from there above the spot where I record, then I stand the other panels in the corner away from the wall, and sort of build a booth inside the room. Sorry I can't take a picture, as I'm not there right now.

The problem with putting absorbent acoustic treatment directly on the walls is that it will only absorb effectively at wavelengths that are longer than four times the thickness of the panel.

For example, if your panels are 15cm thick, like mine, and you put them on the walls, they will start to become ineffective at wavelengths longer than 60cm, which is 566 Hz.

With poor sound absorption below 566Hz, and near total absorption above, you end up with a boomy/boxy sounding room.

However, if you're only going to record sources that are higher pitched than 566, it won't matter.
4th January 2014
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

You can use the auralex in the first reflection points such as on the ceiling but really it would be good to get an idea on your whole treatment already in place to see how many other traps you have. You don't want it to be overkill just because you feel you want to use them
Early Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search