Measurement file (without treatment)
soujiro
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Head

Measurement file (without treatment)

I finally had the chance to make some measurement with Room Eq. I read the stickies about Measuring, reading graphs and watched the GIK tutorial but I have some questions in mind (big questions)

My mic is a dayton emm6 and it was pointed to the ceiling on my listening position and was on ear level. both monitors were on. 1/24 octave smoothing was applied.

The room now is untreated and I am waiting for some rockwool to make my own diffusor and traps.

so what might be wrong in my graph and what is there likely to change on it after treatment? I mean I'm looking at it but don't know what peak species what or say anything just by looking at the graph.

I've attached the measurement file and a sketch of my room.
Attached Thumbnails
Measurement file (without treatment)-366795d1381428575t-heres-my-room-untitled-7.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip SoujiroMeasurement.zip (2.00 MB, 22 views)
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Guru

NB

Measuring Room Acoustics

Presuming that you have read this already, you appear to have missed this bit...

Quote:
NB
We measure by playing one speaker, then the other, then both. L, R, L+R.
All of the usual measurement mics perform at their best when pointed directly at the sound source. But the HF response will be untrustworthy unless a Calibration file for that particular microphone is used.
DD
soujiro
2nd January 2014
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Measuring Room Acoustics

Presuming that you have read this already, you appear to have missed this bit...

DD
Well you're right about that part, I did miss that bit And thanks for that sticky

But I still don't know what I am looking at. You already stated people always ask the wrong question "how does my room look?".

Of course not all rooms are same and proper treatment differs in every place, but what should I expect in a graph of a treated room and what in a non-treated room which isn't good in acoustic terms? should the FR graphic be with less dramatic peaks and troughs and as flat as it can be? what about the waterfalls?

I think I should also check the help section of Roomeq which looks really helpful.
2nd January 2014
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Guru

2nd January 2014
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Guru

Proof

Most rooms have the same problems. SBIR and Modes.
Thus, most can be treated in pretty much the same way. In many cases just looking at the room will give a very good indication of what where will help.
Listening should tell if the room sounds too bright or too dull.
So overall Measurement is not mandatory and does not become useful unless it is given an appropriate task, coupled with understanding of how to perform the tests and how to interpret them.
More simply put, Measuring will immediately and obviously tell you if you have moved your speakers into a disaster zone. Try placing them in the corners and you will see this. So ask the right question and answers will flow.

DD
soujiro
2nd January 2014
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
You seem to be pretty bass light. What kind of speakers/monitors are you using? Beyond that, your room has typical nulls and peaks with long decay times you see without treatment. See the following about decay times.
Understanding Decay Time and Waterfall Graphs - GIK Acoustics
I have a pair of yamaha hs50m's. what's being " bass light "?

And what should be the graph axis limits for an ideal graph?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search