Login / Register

Hardware equalizer to fix the last boosts in my room.
New Reply
Subscribe
marcuscw
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

Hardware equalizer to fix the last boosts in my room.

After a lot of measuring, testing and placing acoustic panels I want to fix the last few tonal boosts in my room with an hardware equalizer on my master. I already tried it with an equalizer on my logic output and it works great.

But what should I buy to put between my soundcard output and my monitors? I'd love to have a graphic equalizer similar to logic's channel eq, where I can set the q and the frequency.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to boggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuscw View Post
After a lot of measuring, testing and placing acoustic panels I want to fix the last few tonal boosts in my room with an hardware equalizer on my master. I already tried it with an equalizer on my logic output and it works great.

But what should I buy to put between my soundcard output and my monitors? I'd love to have a graphic equalizer similar to logic's channel eq, where I can set the q and the frequency.
Try to program equalizer in your DAW monitoring section (if exists) or even sound card instead... this is easiest and cheapest way, also more transparent.

Facebook: @MyRoomAcoustics
Email: boggy@myroom-acoustics.com
--"We can never see past the choices we don't understand." (Oracle, The Matrix Reloaded)
marcuscw
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

Yeah that's what I got now, but I want to be able to quickly A-B with other songs without having to import them into my DAW.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that's what I got now, but I want to be able to quickly A-B with other songs without having to import them into my DAW.
Try with foobar2000 player and appropriate plugin...

(yes, despite all, I will avoid any additional hardware in your monitoring chain )

13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to jhbrandt Send a message via Skype™ to jhbrandt
+1 to all Boggy's posts

Cheers,
John
marcuscw
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggy View Post

(yes, despite all, I will avoid any additional hardware in your monitoring chain )

why? wouldn't just 1 hardware eq be more consistent than dealing with different plugins on different pieces of software? I just want 1 equalizer that I have to tweak and be sure I have the exact same effect on everything I hear.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
why? wouldn't just 1 hardware eq be more consistent than dealing with different plugins on different pieces of software? I just want 1 equalizer that I have to tweak and be sure I have the exact same effect on everything I hear.
Because any additional hardware link in monitoring chain will include more additional (audible) colorations together with function you actually only like to have...
with equalizer before your sound card, you'll avoid this additional coloration and keep it to the minimum.
marcuscw
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

That makes sense, maybe I should find a soundcard where you can put an eq on the master output. I heard someone say it can also be done with a dsp, but I don't know exactly what that is.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That makes sense, maybe I should find a soundcard where you can put an eq on the master output. I heard someone say it can also be done with a dsp, but I don't know exactly what that is.
I have RME Babyface and I think it can do that.... it is about three independent DSP filters for each channel, including output, if I remember well.... that is usually enough for final room correction... but if not... basic room LF treatment need to be better.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

DSP

Ultimately the sound quality you hear is that of the DA converter in use. If you use digital connections between your soundcard and an external Eq, you will not lose any sound quality. If you were using an external DAC/Monitor controller this would be an ideal scenario. There are ways to do Eq in the computer and return it to the existing Soundcard/ Interface, but it is tricky.
There are quite a few very affordable options at minidsp.com
I strongly recommend you try Dirac Live, as it seems to be exactly right for your situation, plus it is a very competent product.

DD
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Ultimately the sound quality you hear is that of the DA converter in use. If you use digital connections between your soundcard and an external Eq, you will not lose any sound quality.
It really depends on synchronization and on available arithmetic abilities for applied external Eq. Using DAW plugins or existing DSP at audio DAC interface, at least, don't include something too much different than you already have.
Quote:
If you were using an external DAC/Monitor controller this would be an ideal scenario. There are ways to do Eq in the computer and return it to the existing Soundcard/ Interface, but it is tricky.
Actually, I presume he work entirely "in the box", so physical insert-return is not needed. Working "out of the box" is different problem, but DAC interface with internal simple DSP for every channel... can help without synchronization problems.
Quote:
There are quite a few very affordable options at minidsp.com
I strongly recommend you try Dirac Live, as it seems to be exactly right for your situation, plus it is a very competent product.
Still synchronization can generate new colorations.
In digital audio we always have one important but "very" analog behavior - synchronization (jitter, wander, etc)

Building hardware analog and very transparent dedicated EQ room correction module is not impossible, but it is tricky and possibly not very cheap.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

In and Outside the Box

Hi boggy. Strangely I am using my computer as an 'External' DRC device by transferring digital audio in and out of the computer's Digi Optical I/O.

I do this only because ProTools takes control of the computer sound I/O and does not allow Dirac to do it's job in the normal way. i.e. Dirac also wants to take control of the Soundcard.

One of our friends/acoustician has extensive experience of pretty much all of the available options, up to and including DEQX and Trinnov. He rates Dirac as a class leader, as do I.

DD
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi boggy. Strangely I am using my computer as an 'External' DRC device by transferring digital audio in and out of the computer's Digi Optical I/O.

I do this only because ProTools takes control of the computer sound I/O and does not allow Dirac to do it's job in the normal way. i.e. Dirac also wants to take control of the Soundcard.

One of our friends/acoustician has extensive experience of pretty much all of the available options, up to and including DEQX and Trinnov. He rates Dirac as a class leader, as do I.

DD
I know there are good devices, but generally speaking, there is no such audio digital device without potential problems because wrong (clock) connection strategy etc...

Audio digital devices can't be "error-free", especially with DSP, if we speaking generally about them... but if someone plan to use Weiss EQ1 for couple of room EQ filters.... ok... it can do that... I'm pretty sure...

Also, it's about my (professional) principles... something like "don't be 'creative' with monitoring chain more than you must"

14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Guru

http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:

DD
DD,

i have tried Dirac Live, Arc2, EQ, own Audiolense & Coneq. I must say for small corrections an EQ is the best solution. Most rooms get a (slightly) different frequency response between left & right channel in the Bass region.
When you trying to correct this individually you get a nice muddy stereo Bass. This is what all room corrections doing by default unless you have the option to correct in mono. Strange effect imo because the correction should solve the problem but introduced new.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search