audiothings
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

Make A Room Sing - For $3,500 - by Tom Hidley

26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

I made one in my last control room build. It was the size of the projector screen it was behind. It was 12" away from the wall and 2 1/8 inch plywood sheets screwed together with green glue in between. I used fiberglass to dampen it. The difference in measurement was extremely subtle. I say a 1 to 3 dB gain in bass at 40, 50 hz at most. I already had a 12" of fiberglass on both the from and back sides of the control room tho. Not sure if I would use one again. Seemed to work but just not great.
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to boggy
I used them sometimes... but I had better results with other (call them conventional if you like) methods. They are not much effective below 80Hz for resonance tails.
Still, in the room, resonances aren't much than 20% of overall interference problems, and if some method solve only them just partially.... I will call it non-effective.... EDIT:.... for today digital recording and mixing needs, which go well below 80Hz.
I also used hanged PVC membrane in similar way ...
From theoretical point of view, for low frequency absorbing, you really need a sealed box for membrane... this concept resonate too high otherwise.
But your experiences may be different if you invent something new in this concept... who knows... it is all about experimenting... our known theory is too weak to describe, to the details, small room acoustics.

EDIT: Also, many of this plates oriented to 40 degrees and included in "whole wall 1-1.5m thick trap", with gap between plates (like angled Newell/Hidley treatment in N-E)... work best! When you stay in front of it, and say something... it is similar impression as talking in front of large open window... like big acoustic "black hole"

Facebook: @MyRoomAcoustics
Email: boggy@myroom-acoustics.com
--"We can never see past the choices we don't understand." (Oracle, The Matrix Reloaded)
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Gear addict

Magic Trapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings View Post
........ In my ever ongoing quest for alternate solutions to bass absorption, these hanging panels keep coming up again and again. Not much different from what Mr. Albini has done here.

.......... Before/after measurements?

Audiothings,

If just one layer of hanging panels would do the trick and ”make the room sing (?)” I would be very surprised. But we never know...

This AES paper from 2009 discusses a Newell construction with some sound intensity measurements included.
Seems like Newell needs "limp bag" around the room plus a number of angled boards with different damping.

There is only one paper (other than Boggys MyRoom) I am aware of that describes function /measurements of "hanger type" traps.

AES E-Library

Best

Ake
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to gullfo
it's never just a single thing that brings the room into the desired response. realize that the Albini room has a lot of air space underneath being used for trapping, Newell uses a mix of layers to attenuate, Andre has Invisible Alpha, etc

www.runnel.com
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
it's never just a single thing that brings the room into the desired response. realize that the Albini room has a lot of air space underneath being used for trapping, Newell uses a mix of layers to attenuate, Andre has Invisible Alpha, etc
+1.......

Every room is the sum total of it's parts/pieces/geometry...... no 1 component determines the acoustic properties of a space.....

Rod
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search