Lead Sheets
New Reply
Subscribe
Dave Bechtel
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

Lead Sheets

I have the ability to get some lead sheeting for next to nothing... Not sure it's worth the hassle to try and get it shipped here and such. Looks like it might be a few hundred square feet that's available. The two places I would consider using it would be

#1 On the walls in between the control room and tracking room. There will be a piece of 1'' thick glass in both walls (3'x4' approx)

#2. An Amp iso I plan to build from an existing closet.

My questions...

How effective is the stuff? Is it worth the time and effort of putting it up?

If so, what's the best way to do it? Drywall, lead sheet, drywall?

Thanks!

dave.
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Lead is great mass - and next to nothing is a great price....... however - it's hard to say what the gain would be as there are a pretty wide variety of densities this product is available in........ Cheap mass is cheap mass - it's generally worth the effort depending on the level of isolation you're trying to achieve.......

As a general rule you would place it between layers of drywall........ making sure (of course) to wear gloves - you would not want to get lead poisoning (one of my brothers went through that - then 3 or 4 days in the hospital getting transfusions, although that was not simply due to touching lead - it was (rather) inhaling lead vapors (although he had been informed that the paint tested clean prior to beginning removal of the paint via heat guns)

I'm curious about your choice of 1" glazing - what drove that decision?

Rod
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

How effective is the stuff?
Pound for pound it's better than any other method. (1969 data)

My 1969 'Audio Cyclopedia' has 2 pages on lead walls (mostly charts).
But it's not going to fit in my scanner. Maybe I can take a photo, later.
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

By the way - just as an afterthought here - it's quite possible that if you are only taking this measure on the walls between the rooms that it would not be worth the effort......

An example (deliberately to the extreme to prove the point)

Build 2 rooms structurally isolated from one another - so 4 walls in each room - 1" air space between the adjoining party walls - assume isolated concrete slabs.... with isolated ceiling framing..

Now - install 6 layers of drywall on each of the wall surfaces in both rooms - and then a single layer of drywall on the ceilings........

Your overall isolation level from one space to the other is going to be determined by the weakest link - which is the 2 layers of drywall that create the individual ceiling layers....

Once you reach their limits - all of that additional mass in the walls is going to do you no good whatsoever.........

It is due to this that testing labs have limits on test results for isolation assemblies noted in their reports (quite often with assemblies with very high levels of isolation) once they reach the limits of the assemblies flanking the isolating assemblies - all bets are off......

Rod
Dave Bechtel
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

Hey Rod,

Thanks for the reply and great information.
I'll check out how thick the lead sheets are.

I hear you about the ceiling...will probably add some mass to the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post

I'm curious about your choice of 1" glazing - what drove that decision?

Rod
Because it is free. Should I consider spending $ on something else ?
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Nope - free always works - I was just curious......

Rod
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search