Power and power conditioning?
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Power conditioning?

I will be building a small post production/music studio in a very old building (20's?). I believe I have 45 amps (15A x 3) in terms of available power. I will need to run lighting, as well as all my gear (imac, 5.1 monitors/sub, 2 video screens, preamps, etc.) off this power as well as maybe a 12,000 BTU mini split AC.

I estimate I'll need 45 amps, but the AC may be able to run off a different circuit in the building so that would give me the extra amps I need to plug in other stuff as needed like guitar amps, etc.

I will need around 10-15 amps for my analog gear and maybe around 10 for computers. I understand these should be on separate circuits. Then the remaining power can be for lighting (and maybe AC.)

So maybe two Monster Pro 2500's (for digital and analog?) Or Furman?
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix2k10 View Post
I will be building a small post production/music studio in a very old building (20's?). I believe I have 45 amps (15A x 3) in terms of available power. I will need to run lighting, as well as all my gear (imac, 5.1 monitors/sub, 2 video screens, preamps, etc.) off this power as well as maybe a 12,000 BTU mini split AC.

I estimate I'll need 45 amps, but the AC may be able to run off a different circuit in the building so that would give me the extra amps I need to plug in other stuff as needed like guitar amps, etc.

I will need around 10-15 amps for my analog gear and maybe around 10 for computers. I understand these should be on separate circuits. Then the remaining power can be for lighting (and maybe AC.)

So maybe two Monster Pro 2500's (for digital and analog?) Or Furman?
Cheap power conditioners are overrated. Unless you know that you have power quality problems, you do not need them.

Andre
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

+1

asterix2k10,

The most important thing would be for you to have all of your audio equipment and audio-related equipment on the SAME PHASE.

IF you have power noise issues, you can install SurgeX filters right in the sub-panel. - This can be done LATER... when and IF you have a problem. Don't waste your money and time with MOV boxes. - Besides, most modern equipment ALREADY have MOV protection in the AC-input circuitry.

Cheers,
John
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
+1

asterix2k10,

The most important thing would be for you to have all of your audio equipment and audio-related equipment on the SAME PHASE.

IF you have power noise issues, you can install SurgeX filters right in the sub-panel. - This can be done LATER... when and IF you have a problem. Don't waste your money and time with MOV boxes. - Besides, most modern equipment ALREADY have MOV protection in the AC-input circuitry.

Cheers,
John
Does an Isolation transformer help ??

Sent from my GT-N7100
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolida View Post

Sent from my GT-N7100
Balanced Power? Depends on other factors, but Balanced Power makes 100% sure ALL is on the SAME Phase..Been saying this for YEARS....
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sent from my GT-N7100
Again, this will depend on your noise spectrum and levels... use as needed.

Cheers,
John
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, this will depend on your noise spectrum and levels... use as needed.

Cheers,
John
Is there a way to measure the power generated noise/ harmonic distortion by any chance?? A harmonic analyser?
I have such issues at my side from a long time, where the performance varies quite a few times each week. Some days it plays very well, & sometimes it plays terrible. Inspite of using an isolation transformer & an active power conditioner, the problem remains....

Sent from my GT-N7100
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a way to measure the power generated noise/ harmonic distortion by any chance?? A harmonic analyser?
I have such issues at my side from a long time, where the performance varies quite a few times each week. Some days it plays very well, & sometimes it plays terrible. Inspite of using an isolation transformer & an active power conditioner, the problem remains....

Sent from my GT-N7100
Yes. The Fluke 43B Power Quality Analyzer is one such product. It can be rented.

Andre
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Yes. The Fluke 43B Power Quality Analyzer is one such product. It can be rented.

Andre
Sadly not where I live :(
Is there any other way? I have an oscilloscope, but never used it yet..

Sent from my GT-N7100
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sadly not where I live :(
It would help if you had your location in your profile...

Andre
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would help if you had your location in your profile...

Andre
Oops. Yes. I live in India..

Sent from my GT-N7100
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Andre
Yes, but he'll probably need to 'rent' the technician as well - who can recommend solutions.
-There are many models and manufacturers of these devices. Do a google search for power quality analyzer.

Cheers,
John
Old 27th July 2013
Gear addict

Thanks for these comments.
I was gifted a Furman M-8x2 and was considering a 2nd unit, though I have not detected any improvement to my system with the first and saw the phrase "hospital grade" outlet strip. Is there any advantage to them?
I also have been trying to remember where I read about upgrading IEC power cables. Any feedback on that subject?
Thanks Michael
Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

Michael,

The Furman unit is a very handy rack-mount outlet strip. I incorporates ferrites on the AC input line and MOVs across the AC line for voltage spike protect. The 'okay' LED indicates that the MOVs are still functioning.

Sounds good, right?

Well, everything that I just said above is true, but it does NOTHING for you. That's why you can't hear any difference.
It's a GREAT rack-mount power strip - That's all!

Almost ALL equipment modules have MOVs on their AC line after the fuses. All digital gear have ferrite beads on the AC line as well, for RF filtering.

This is what I call 'VooDoo'. Basically, it's BS that manufacturers and salespeople use to 'sell' their product. - Like 'icing' on the cake. They should, instead, sell the product on its ACTUAL benefits and performance, instead of duping people into buying the product for the wrong reason.

And POWER CORDS??? O M G! Don't get me started.. First have an enjoyable read through my VooDoo page (on my website)

Cheers!
John
Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

And POWER CORDS??? O M G! Don't get me started.. First have an enjoyable read through my VooDoo page (on my website)

Cheers!
John

Lol

Sent from my GT-N7100
Old 27th July 2013
Gear addict

@ John Thanks and especially thanks for the Voodoo site laughs! I was going to track some guitar parts today, but I think I'd better shake some transistors, first! LOL

I bought an Access Virus Ti2 and the seller put the Furman strip in the box, saying Merry Christmas (it was that time of year). It certainly is a rugged outlet strip.

Michael
Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

asterix2k10-

Don't overlook that code may require a certain number of and/or spacing for general purpose power receptacles, which may relate to a dedicated circuit. And you might want to verify what power the lighting and HVAC will require before assuming what is left.

You might want to think about an online/double conversion UPS for your computer and digital gear. That would not only keep you from having to worry about power loss but would also provide steady, regulated power. If you want to go the next step look for one with true sine wave output. And maybe some series mode surge suppression to protect your investment.
Old 27th July 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Even a basic oscilloscope will show excessive distortion. But my test is very simple: If you do not hear any obvious problems with buzzing and clicks etc, you do not have a "power" problem and will not benefit from a "power" product.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 28th July 2013
2 cents

I'd worry more about voltage sag everytime your AC (and every other air conditioner in the neighborhood/building when it gets really hot) kicks in. That can be easily checked with a voltmeter at different times of the day to see how broad a range the drift is. If it swings pretty widely your gear will run hot and any weak/cheaper power supplies will start to randomly die.

Also - 45 AMPS seems like an awfully small service to work with if you need 25 AMPs alone just for computers/gear and another likely 15-20 for the AC. Everytime you turn on a light or bump up the volume you'll be throwing breakers.

If you're going to be spending any real time in this location and you're unable to power the AC with 'house' power, you may want to look at just having a new pull brought in from the pole for your studio and use the existing service for the AC/lights/etc.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search