Computer + four microphones = room map
Whitecat
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
GS Community Manager

Computer + four microphones = room map

Quote:
Echoes reveal the shape of a room

The geometric shape of a room can be mapped using the echoes from a sound recorded by four microphones placed inside a room, research finds.
Concert hall design is specifically mentioned in the article. I'm guessing there would be an application for studio design as well.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
The test tones (usually impulses of some sort) that are emitted are a big part of the effectiveness of echolocation. Also, the higher the frequencies that are used the more resolution one gets. Unfortunately this BBC article is very thin on information about the specifics of the method.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

This is very cool and probably has potential for modeling, etc., but currently the most accurate 3D modeling can be done with a scanning laser. (IMO) These laser scans can be imported directly into AutoCAD and several other 3D modeling programs.
You can see examples of this on many television programs, ie; laser mapping of the Titanic & scanning the internal structure of caves... I have seriously thought about having some of my clients get me a 3D scan of their facilities (bare warehouses, etc) to help me get all the measurements right. [some people just can't use a measuring tape ]

Cheers,
John
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

agreed - getting a LIDAR scan of the space will give you the most accurate set of physical measurements, and if you have the resolution high enough, you can get the pipes, wires, etc which may impact the use of the space included so you can plan sooner rather than later :-) LiDAR News - Home
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search