How Big Does A Bass Trap NEED To Be?!?!
Handsomecracker
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

How Big Does A Bass Trap NEED To Be?!?!

Im new to forums and DIY sound treatment but I have a question for you GS.

When building a bass trap, is there a size that is TOO SMALL where it becomes pointless to even build one? Is a 2' by 2' bass trap worth adding to a room? What if you had several 2' by 2' bass traps around the room as well as diffusers?

In short, is there any sound bennefit coming from multiple smaller bass traps or are bigger ones the only way to go?

Thanks for your help folks
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Guru

9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Guru

Small

The BBC used multiple small traps of a modular design.
However, their small was 2'x3' if I remember correctly.
The broken up nature of the trapping, kinda broke up the sound in extra useful ways.
There are rules of thumb suggesting that 20-30% of the room's surface area needs to be trapped to achieve a significant difference.
But corner placement effectively triples the traps and focusses on LF so detail is needed for a full understanding here.

DD
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
The BBC used multiple small traps of a modular design.
However, their small was 2'x3' if I remember correctly.
The broken up nature of the trapping, kinda broke up the sound in extra useful ways.
There are rules of thumb suggesting that 20-30% of the room's surface area needs to be trapped to achieve a significant difference.
But corner placement effectively triples the traps and focusses on LF so detail is needed for a full understanding here.

DD
+1. The OP's question is too vague to provide any kind of usefull response for him.

Andre
Handsomecracker
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

Ok, so if there were several 1'x1' bass traps as well as 1'x1' diffusers around a room would the scattered multiple bass traps be effective and help absorb sound? Is it a worth while project?
Am I right assuming that a bass trap is still doing something even if it is not 4'x8' or some larger size?

Thanks again for helping me with this project.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsomecracker View Post
Ok, so if there were several 1'x1' bass traps as well as 1'x1' diffusers around a room would the scattered multiple bass traps be effective and help absorb sound? Is it a worth while project?
Am I right assuming that a bass trap is still doing something even if it is not 4'x8' or some larger size?

The size in width affects how many are required. DanDan wrote about 20-30% coverage being an average for control rooms. The depth of an absorber laregely affects how in frequency the unit is effective.

Andre
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsomecracker View Post

1' x 1' isnt big enough. You need to consider the wavelength of the frequencies your trying to trap. 100hz has a wavelength of 11.25', so a trap only 1' x1' would even see 100hz.

What DD was saying is that multiple traps do a better job than just one or two massive ones. I think DD pointed out that the BBC smallest ones were 2' x 3'. I wouldnt go smaller than this.

Same for diffusers. At a minimum I would make them 36" tall. The width is determined by the freq range desired which is determined by well depth and width primarily.
Handsomecracker
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

Ok that is helpful. Thanks guys.
I am trying to make plans for my room which isnt that big. I record and mix all in one room and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck here. I have made a couple diffusers that are bigger than what I have described.
All the wheels in my head are spinning to make the most out of what I have access to. I wanted to get the best results I can for the resources I have.

I am also guilty of trying to reinvent the wheel as well . . .
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Guru

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search