Controlling High End
JoshMoose
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Head

Controlling High End

Hey everyone,

I recently treated my control room and did some mixes in it and noticed everything is coming out brighter than what it sounds like in my studio. I was told it would be harder to get the bass under control but it seems to be translating well

I don't think I'm absorbing too much but I can think of any other reason which is why I'm on here asking everyone! haha

My room is almost a perfect square, 6 1/2 feet high, 141" wide, and 150" long. I have GIK soffits in the corners, GIK monster bass traps with scatter plats in the back and a new panel that they dont have online yet called an FRL in between the monsters in the back. (It seems to be a monster bass trap with a thin paneling in the front so its reflective of high end) I also have GIK 244's in the early reflect points (both sides and ceiling) I found them using the "mirror trick"

If you don't know about GIK stuff the soffits 17" wide square "pillars" filled with something similar to OC 703 or whatever. the Monsters are i think like 7.5" deep with 6" of OC equivalent and FRL is the same thickness and the scatter plates in the Monsters are diffusers ontop of the bass trap. The 244's are like 5.5" thick with 4" of insulation. The extra 1.5" is air space between the wall and insulation in the panel (its all on GIKS website Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics if I confused you haha)

Would pics or REW charts help you guys too?

Thanks!
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMoose View Post

Would pics or REW charts help you guys too?

Thanks!
YES

But based on what you have said so far, I would say your control room is absorbing the highs more than the other frequencies, causing you to add more highs while mixing.

This is why its so important if your going to use absorption, to do it in a broadband manner.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Guru

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Guru

Translation

That seems unusual. I struggle to get enough highs to compete with the average commercial mixes. A measurement would reveal all.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...er-v2-1-a.html

In my experience a HF roll off (See Understanding RTA at studiotips.com) delivers well, but you seem to have the opposite problem to most.
Can you turn up your tweeters?
DD
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search