Moved house...Building from scratch
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Moved house...Building from scratch

Hi all,
Just moved to a new house and I have a bit of room to play with. Just after a few suggestions on how to set it up Acoustically and whatnot.
Basically ive been given two identical rooms either side of a common room/ area. I was thinking that i could set one room up as a vocal/instrument recording room and the other for storing instruments etc. The centre would be used for mixing and whatnot. The only thing with that is it branches out to a long hallway at the back. Was wondering if this would still be ok if i used some acoustic treatments and maybe wacked down a rug or alike, as the floors are vinyl. The rooms are carpeted however..... Ill try put up a pic of the plan and proposed mixing station. Room measurements are in millimetres by the way as I am writing from Western Australia. G'day from WA and thanks for any suggestions. Cheers,
Brett

Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear
Nice - 2 rooms and a common area make for lots of good space. I'd be tempted to put the mix room in one of the bedrooms, the recording space in the other, then the common area as storage & practice. That gets you much more isolation than mixing in the common area. Read up on bass traps and first reflection treatment. Can you DIY? What is the room height? The squareness of the bedrooms will require some significant level of treatment if you want decent FR.
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

I guess that's an option. I just liked the idea of a symmetrical room in the middle that I could punch cables through the walls from the middle. I can totally DIY and will build the acoustic panels/ traps myself. Not going for extreme recording.. Just something functional for myself as a hobby. Ceiling height is a standard 28 course brick so approx 2.4 meters
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear
what range of music and instruments will you record? How many musicians?
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Mainly just myself recording a track at a time. Maybe vocals and a bit of guitar at the same time. As for music, will be mainly acoustic guitars and I may mic up a snare drum with some brushes, shaker, midi piano etc..
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear
In that case I'd begin with just one room and take the treatment to the point that you are happy with it. Record and mix there. Then decide if you need a separate mix area. One very real value of a CR is protecting the ears of the engineer when drums and guitars are wailing. For the singer/songwriter environment, an all in one room is more efficient.
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

I was thinking that may be a better idea.. Could have a treated mixing and and recording room and then store the instruments in the other. Didn't like the idea of walking out of the room everytime I needed to retry a track. Much better sitting next to it with the mouse handy I guess. Would be nice to utilize the space though. I have a bunch of foam broadband absorbers in the garage but I'll make up some DIY panels once I get a layout sorted.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search