New Reply
Subscribe
Samuelito
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear maniac

Building/Designing small studio

Hello,

I'm starting designing my new studio from scratch and I would like to know what do you guys think about it before I settle with the design and start building.

I've made a sketch, for now, taking in consideration one of the ratios from the RealTraps ModeCalc software.

One issue I encountered with the results of the soft is the proximity of certain modes at 200Hz & 400Hz.
Don't really know if by treating the room later I can manage these frequencies or should I re consider the design now.

The funny/curious thing is that I'm building it inside a cold storage chamber and one of the side walls from the CR will be different to the others.
Will this be a mayor issue or can I also manage it with some treatment??

Thank you all for your time!
Cheers,

Sam

Going to Sketchup this now!! B back in a while. Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Building/Designing small studio-sketch_newstudio_1.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-newroom_modecalc_plot.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-newroom_modecalc_table.jpg  
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to jhbrandt Send a message via Skype™ to jhbrandt
Walls with different densities/mass

Sam,

Depending on the mass difference of the control room walls, you may have varying degrees of LF asymmetry. You want to match the mass of L-C-R walls as closely as possible for best imaging & modal distribution.

Treatment can straighten out a choppy mid to hf response, however, a choppy LF response can only be tightened with treatment. If there is a hole in the response due to lack of modal support, there will still be a hole when treatment is finished. Nulls caused by phase cancellation can be be helped, but usually not cured without moving something.

Cheers,
John

PS. In your drawing, it looks like you have chopped the corners off the control room..? is that treatment? That's fine. But if you are blocking off the corners... Don't do that. Bad Idea. You can use them for trapping.

(American) in Jakarta, Indonesia

SERVICES - HOME STUDIO DESIGN - PUBLICATIONS

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

Last edited by jhbrandt; 26th March 2013 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: ps
Samuelito
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Hi John,

First thing fisrt. Thank you!!

The peripheral wall is the typical cold chamber wall with metallic covering and with absorption material inside (100mm wide). Don't know exactly the specifications, but I can probably get them.

All the other walls I have to build them. I'm planning over 15cm walls with wood frame. (plasterboard - chipboard - isolation - chipboard - plasterboard)

The only one that I was planning on adding an extra plasterboard was on the wall between the CR and the Live room. (plasterboard - chipboard - isolation - plasterboard - chipboard - plasterboard) from CR to Live room all the way upto the ISO.

And I forgot, but the ceiling is from the same material as the peripheral walls... Do you think that adding a plasterboard over the metallic surface will make any difference??

Yes, I'm saving the corners for trapping. Don't know if I should do all new traps from floor to ceiling or use the broadband absorbers I have. I have quite a few already.

Thanks again!!
Cheers,

Sam
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

ahhh.. okay. I understand.

That wall 'fill' material for thermal insulation is most likely expanded polystyrene or similar. This stuff is of no use acoustically, except for the very small mass that it may add.

Add plaster board to the existing walls to 'beef up' the mass. -- You need a damped wall resonance of about 14Hz to be effective at 20Hz.

Cheers,
John
Samuelito
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Ok..., but I'm not sure what a damped wall resonant is??

Is the same thing as an absorption wall or dead surface wall?? Like a big basstrap??

Here are some quick Sketchup plans. Not perfect but the best a could do at 5 AM.

Thanks again for your time John!!!
Best,

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Building/Designing small studio-sketchup_print1.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-sketchup_print2.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-sketchup_print3.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-sketchup_print4.jpg  
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Can you please add dimensions?
Samuelito
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Don't know how to make sketchup show dimension, but in the first post there is a sketch with all the dimensions in mts.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelito View Post
One issue I encountered with the results of the soft is the proximity of certain modes at 200Hz & 400Hz. Don't really know if by treating the room later I can manage these frequencies or should I re consider the design now.
You're in good hands with John, so I'll address only the above. Frequencies at 200 Hz and higher are not difficult to tame with bass traps. When choosing dimensions / ratios, focus most on the modes below 200 Hz.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
24th May 2013
Old 24th May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
You're in good hands with John, so I'll address only the above. Frequencies at 200 Hz and higher are not difficult to tame with bass traps. When choosing dimensions / ratios, focus most on the modes below 200 Hz.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Thank you Ethan!!

Sorry for the late response. I've been quite busy lately.
Here are some shitty photos of the work in progress. Waiting for some cables to arrive before starting closing the walls.

Thanks for your advices!! Been of great help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Building/Designing small studio-img_1016.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1017.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1018.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1027.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1028.jpg  

Building/Designing small studio-img_1025.jpg  
Samuelito
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

Well, here are some updated photos.

I'm now installing doors and windows and I'm a bit concern about the windows.
Almost all the companies are on vacations or they provide just the glass and I have a gig at the end of next month, so I'm seriously considering doing the windows myself.

I have a couple of questions:

What's the recommended angle for the glasses?
What's the best way to fix and cut the frame?
Should I put some isolation rubber where the glass will sit and finish the installation with silicon??

The idea that I have is to follow the Auralex installation tips.

Auralex Acoustics - Installation Tips and Techniques

Thanks again for all the help and I hope you like the photos.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Building/Designing small studio-img_1086.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1087.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1089.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1142.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_3310.jpg  

Building/Designing small studio-img_3312.jpg  
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Sam,

No angle, unless you have lighting issues.. Nevermind that. No angles, just set them parallel.

Trim the wall opening & seal the window frame to the wall framework (studs).

Use rubber or neoprene 'setting blocks' to place the glass on. - For sealing, I recommend any non-hardening caulk. Butyl rubber (roofing) caulk works very good. Big Stretch or OSI SC-175 is great.

Be sure to place desiccant packets (Silica Gel) between the glass panes prior to finishing/sealing. - You don't want the windows fogging.

Cheers,
John
Samuelito
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks John,

Great!!! Those angles had me a bit worried.
It will be much easier parallel glasses.
I'll post some photos later.
Thanks again!!

Sam
Samuelito
10th August 2013
Old 10th August 2013
Gear maniac

As promised, here are the photos of the windows. Well just one of them.

Ok, so I started installing everything and I got to the point of setting up the acoustic panels.
I decided to choose the listening position at 45% of the room as 38% is too short to let the speakers some space.

I used to have two 150cm x 150cm x 5cm side wall panels and a third one (same dimensions) as a cloude (angled) plus five broadband absorbers on the back of the room at the old studio.
This time I decided to use broadband absorbers on the sides as well as on the back of the room. Cloudes will probably be similar to the broadband absorbers, but about 5cm thinner (BB Abs are about 15cm deep)

My doubts are:

Should I place the absorbers side by side at the listening position or can I set them evenly through the hole distance up to the corner bass trap keeping one of them at the listening position?

And can I set the clouds horizontal to the ceiling or will it work best if I give them some angle??

I assume that positioning absorption panels is quite critical and that there is some logical science to it and not just setting them up randomly to the listening position.

I uploaded some more photos of the room and of the broadband absorbers.
Thanks again for all the tips so far!!
Best,

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Building/Designing small studio-img_1145.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1144.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1156.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1159.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1187.jpg  

Building/Designing small studio-img_1191.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1192.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1500.jpg   Building/Designing small studio-img_1511.jpg  
Samuelito
10th August 2013
Old 10th August 2013
Gear maniac

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search