Positioning of Sub Woofer
New Reply
Subscribe
edvedder
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear maniac

Positioning of Sub Woofer

I'm trying to figure out where to position my sub woofer.. My studio is basically my living room - its almost a square in dimensions, with a wall of windows down one side, and the other side opens into the kitchen..

I'm not sure if a sub woofer should be close to the listening position, or further away.. ?

Is there a way to determine the best placement for the sub woofer?

Should it point towards a bass trap, or into the open space?
Attached Thumbnails
Positioning of Sub Woofer-sub-woofer.jpg  
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Pay attention to phase and level as you tweak the position. The most common sub setup error is setting the level too high. You should not hear it as a separate source.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

And not place the sub in the middle of the length,... and watch for phase problems...

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Acoustics !

http://www.mel-music.com
- project of mine with a female singer

http://www.sonicflames.com - Indie Label & Audio/Music Services

http://www.spinousmusic.com
- my one man band project
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Head

Same situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Audio X
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Audio X

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Head

edvedder
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear maniac

I'm trying to configure my sub woofer, and the instructions from KRK are as follows:

Route a band limited pink noise tone through the system including the satellite speakers. 500Hz-1kHz will allow you to set the volume of the
satellites without exciting the subwoofer. Using an SPL meter (or iPhone app), set the overall volume so that the level is something comfortable.
Around 85dB should su?ce.
• Run another band limited pink noise tone of 35Hz-70Hz through the system and set the volume on the sub to where it’s hitting 85dB on the meter
as well.

Trying to hit a volume of 85db with the subwoofer at a pink test tone of 35hz-70hz, is rediculous, and I am not sure if I am doing this correctly..I feel like my walls are going to come crashing down..?? I am holding the SPL meter in front of the subwoofer, and cranking the volume up, I am nowhere near the 85db mark
Audio X
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Audio X

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder View Post
I'm trying to configure my sub woofer, and the instructions from KRK are as follows:

Route a band limited pink noise tone through the system including the satellite speakers. 500Hz-1kHz will allow you to set the volume of the
satellites without exciting the subwoofer. Using an SPL meter (or iPhone app), set the overall volume so that the level is something comfortable.
Around 85dB should su?ce.
• Run another band limited pink noise tone of 35Hz-70Hz through the system and set the volume on the sub to where it’s hitting 85dB on the meter
as well.

Trying to hit a volume of 85db with the subwoofer at a pink test tone of 35hz-70hz, is rediculous, and I am not sure if I am doing this correctly..I feel like my walls are going to come crashing down..?? I am holding the SPL meter in front of the subwoofer, and cranking the volume up, I am nowhere near the 85db mark
You do not have to use the number 85 dB which will be too loud in many situations. You can pick a number that is more comfortable for your room volume.. Around 75 to 83 dB, and use that to run through the mains and subs at the different frequency. People often use the number 85dB because it looks the flattest on the Fletcher - Munson scale.. but it's really relative...

Here's some additional info: gl
NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post - Avid Pro Audio Community
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder View Post
I am holding the SPL meter in front of the subwoofer, and cranking the volume up, I am nowhere near the 85db mark
First, be sure your SPL meter is not set for A Weighting because that rolls off the low end severely. Second, the SPL meter should be where your head is when listening. And as X said, what matters is relative levels. Though you have to be well above the ambient noise of the room. So 40 dB SPL for example is not loud enough.

--Ethan
edvedder
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear maniac

I must not be doing something properly. Even trying to hit 75db on my subwoofer from my listening position, is extremely loud, and I'm waiting for someone to knock on my door any second.. either that or my neighbors are going to think an earthquake is happening :/

I've practically got the volume on the subwoofer wide open..

According to the instructions, I am now to run some music through this, with these settings.. Are they insane?? I will surely blow my subwoofer and all the treatment right off my walls...!

Also, I am using the iphone apps Decibel Ultra and Pro for this..
Audio X
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Audio X

I'd check the preferences and calibration on the app. Sounds like something is off with that or the default is out of whack... Maybe run out and buy a real meter. 75 dB is about as loud as when you flush a toilet. .. not even. gl
edvedder
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
I'd check the preferences and calibration on the app. Sounds like something is off with that or the default is out of whack... Maybe run out and buy a real meter. 75 dB is about as loud as when you flush a toilet. .. not even. gl
I spent all my money on bass traps. lol.

I think I've dialed it in pretty good by ear. Theres only two adjusments that I can make anyways with it.. The crossover, I have set to about 75hz, as my Dynaudio Bm6a monitors extend down to 42Hz, so this seems to blend eveything together nicely. As far as volume goes, I had to play around with it a bit to get it to sit right, but everything sounds great and balanced now
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search