Beano Bean
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear nut

A quickie about floor sound absorption

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well.

Just a quickie.

I am moving to a new premises for my studio.

My biggest problem will be the sound traveling through the floor, disturbing the lady downstairs.

The studio will be in an attic space and will be used only for mixing.

What i would like to do is to put something on the floor underneath the speaker stands/mixing desk etc.

Currently, i have some carpet tiles and fibrewood which i am putting down in my current room to help create a non resonant hard surface.

My idea is to double layer some carpet tiles and then place the fibrewood on top of that, and place some sandbags on the speaker stands to weigh them down.

Is there any other fairly cheap alternative i could consider which would really help theabsorption?

The corners will be trapped with superchunks (Far front corners that is) and so will the length corners (All the way along the sides of the room as it is a typical loft slanted roof) be trapped by stuffing lots of bags of rockwool, duvets, blankets etc, and then placing a 10cm absorption panel in front (as i currently own these). I will also place superchunks directly behind the speakers.

If anyone has any ideas of something cheaper than the rubber sheets found in the shops, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

BB
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Your best bet would be to deal with this between the top of the stands and the speakers.

The minute you place the sand bags to lock everything in it will compress whatever the stand is sitting on - which will (most probably) make it ineffective....

Another option (of course) would be to hang the speakers instead of using floor mounts from isolation hangers sized for the weight of the speakers.

I would be remiss if I did not point out to you that this alone will not provide a whole lot of relief for the lady below your apartment.

Rod
Beano Bean
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
Your best bet would be to deal with this between the top of the stands and the speakers.

The minute you place the sand bags to lock everything in it will compress whatever the stand is sitting on - which will (most probably) make it ineffective....

Another option )of course) would be to hang the speakers instead of using floor mounts from isolation hangers sized for the weight of the speakers.

I would be remiss if I did not point out to you that this alone will not provide a whole lot of relief for the lady below your apartment.

Rod
Thanks Rod.

What i will probably do is to build a DIY Drum Riser style flooring and pack some rockwool sheets in it to create a kind of insulation.

I already have the wood and will have some rockwool left over from my ceiling bass trap so it won't really cost any more.

I will see how this goes, and if it still needs work i will get some rubbe plates for the speaker stands as you suggested.

Thanks again,

BB
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search