New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff
Destaana
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff

Hello

I moved into a new room.

Seems a bit better than my last room, especially the space.

As you can see in my REW graph, when I remove the desk, I get rid of the big null at 120Hz or so, but moving the desk has caused a null around 416Hz, How can I get that back?

Also, I have a big bass roll off at about 80Hz. No low end at all. It was a success finding what was causing the 120Hz null but, getting all that back.... I wouldn't have clue how. Any advice? Moving my speakers up or down plus forward or back, doesn't seem to change the low end response.

I have big bass traps in the 2 corners and 7 other bass traps, scattered around my room.

My room is 2.4 meters high and I have no cloud, but putting a panel over my head doesn't make any of the bass end more prominent.

Also, looking at the room layout, which wall would you sit on?
Attached Thumbnails
New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-room-layout.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-spl-left-right-speaker-desk.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left-speaker-waterfall-desk.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-spl-left-right-speaker-no-desk.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left-speaker-waterfall-no-desk.jpg  

New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right-speaker-waterfall-no-desk.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right-speaker-waterfall-desk.jpg  
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear Guru

What kind of speakers are you using? You don't have a roll off engaged on the back?
Destaana
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Destaana
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear maniac

So....

Do you guys need more info, or?

Any comments and suggestions about my setup?
Destaana
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear maniac

Would you guys like pictures of my room? or what?

I just want to know how I can get the low end back and how to get rid of the 416 null and also, to get rid of the low end mid I always have at 220 to 300Hz, ect.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Guru

Try the speakers as close to the wall as possible and only test one speaker at a time. Also you did not list the length, width and height of the room. It may also help to list the REW file so we can pull it up in our own program.. The following video covers saving that file to post.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Guru

Bass

The specs for those speakers say 'useable' from 50Hz.
I would not expect to hear any earthquakes on these.
As Glenn said try them extremely close to a wall, almost touching. This should reinforce whatever bass is coming out of them. I would place the speakers at the plain wall rather than the window, specifically to get this LF boost.
The graph extents seem to be from 40Hz up. Try 30 to see what's happening down there.
Nulls can be caused by a reflection from a nearby boundary. While the cloud will probably not help with your very small speaker's lack of LF, it may well help with these nulls. Ditto side wall reflection absorbers or redirectors.
4 inch deep traps with a 4 inch airgap have decent effect even down to 100Hz.

DD
Destaana
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear maniac

@ Glen. In the graphs, I did do two speakers at once, but I can get them separate if you want.

I do have my speakers right up against the wall. I even tried moving them out from the wall and still nothing. Maybe them being ported from the back is causing phasing?

If I move my speakers to the wardrobe, then I get more bass and I wouldn't even know why, considering my room is a cube, I would have thought all the sides would side the same? But the wardrobe is somewhere I cannot be obviously.

The bass below 80Hz is like 10db down. I don't hear any at all below 80Hz. Quite an unpleasant listen experience. No fun what so ever as you would imagine.

I have 4inch panels with 2 inch gap on the side walls right now and 6inch corner traps.

I will post pictures later, but what else would you guys do in this situation?

My room Dimensions are

L = 4.3m

W = 3.9m

H = 2.4m

Sorry, in my drawing, I forgot to write that in
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear Guru

Big

I'm afraid it looks like you need bigger speakers.
DD
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
I'm afraid it looks like you need bigger speakers.
DD
I really don't like using a sub but maybe a sub would work.

On a side note though it is great you have some treatment but you might also need more due the size and shape. And yes if you want to remeasure I can take a look.
Destaana
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

Just wanted to post what my walls look like.

I'd like to know which one you'd sit on. So annoying that each wall has something different on it.
Attached Thumbnails
New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-front.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-back.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right.jpg  
Destaana
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

This is my room with treatment in.

Without treatment, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Frustrating because I spent alot of time making those panels.
Attached Thumbnails
New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left-speaker-treatment.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right-speaker-treatmeant.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left-speaker-treatment-waterfall.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right-speaker-treatment-waterfall.jpg  
Destaana
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

This is with no treatment.

I'm not sure that getting a bigger speaker would get me more bass. We have the PMCs at work and they produce bass fine. I can easily hear 70 and 60Hz, but here I do not hear any of those frequencies which would mean it's my room.

Or maybe a bigger speaker would excite my room and produce more bass, I really don't know, but it's really no fun not being able to hear any bass.

I'm even thinking of using headphones because I've been doing this for so long, but I'd probably go deaf if I used headphones all my life.

PS - BLUE is the left Speaker and GREEN is the right
Attached Thumbnails
New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left-speaker-no-treatment.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right-speaker-no-treatment.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-left-speaker-no-treatment-waterfall.jpg   New Room - REW Graph - High bass rolloff-right-speaker-no-treatment-waterfall.jpg  
Destaana
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

And as you can see, my treatment has caused a big null at 145Hz for some reason.

Hope to hear some good news and if not, I will sell my speakers most likely.
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear Guru

Can you save the REW file, zip it and post it here? I can take a quick look at it. Also make sure to test each speaker with the mic in the same spot.
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear Guru

23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear Guru

Test

From a quick look at the photos it seems your speakers are at what I would call a side wall. Generally best bass occurs when speakers fire along the length of a room. A solid wall behind them will reinforce bass. Windows or a light wall may leave you bass light. Ultimately the words 'useable down to 50Hz' say no real bass to my mind, which is exactly what you are (not) hearing.
Perhaps you could borrow a pair of bigger speakers to see what happens.
I had a client who moved from decent sized Genelecs to a reasonable sized PMC. No Bass, we had to build the PMC's pretty much onto/into a brick wall.
DD
Destaana
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
From a quick look at the photos it seems your speakers are at what I would call a side wall. Generally best bass occurs when speakers fire along the length of a room. A solid wall behind them will reinforce bass. Windows or a light wall may leave you bass light. Ultimately the words 'useable down to 50Hz' say no real bass to my mind, which is exactly what you are (not) hearing.
Perhaps you could borrow a pair of bigger speakers to see what happens.
I had a client who moved from decent sized Genelecs to a reasonable sized PMC. No Bass, we had to build the PMC's pretty much onto/into a brick wall.
DD
Hello

I actually am on the short wall and the speakers are firing down the length of the room, do you think I should move to a different wall? If so, which one would you suggest?

I will upload my REW file a bit later on.
Destaana
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Also keep in mind that 4 panels is only going to make a small change. Think in terms of 10 or more in corners. Also you need to treat the early reflection points.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
I have 10 panels in total.

2 panels in the corners.

3 panels on the left wall

2 panels on the right wall

1 panel behind me

2 sitting outside because I have no where else to place them, but the ceiling.

posting REW file bit later
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Guru

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I was saying 4 panels straddling corners not total panels.
I will try to look at the tests once you post them.
Destaana
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I was saying 4 panels straddling corners not total panels.
I will try to look at the tests once you post them.

Hello

I looked at the video and it said to save the master files to send, but for some reason I cannot post them on gearslutz. It's a total of 5MB, is the file too big or something? Or am I missing something?
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Guru

Zip

Zip, compress the file.
DD
Destaana
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear maniac

Hello

I got it down to 2.62 MB but it's still too big. Is there any other way I can send it to you guys?
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Use a file-sharing service.
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Guru

Zip

The Limit for Zip files posted directly here is 9.54MB

DD
Search this Thread
Search this Thread: