Unanswered questions on DIY broadband treatment
New Reply
Subscribe
hazysonic
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Unanswered questions on DIY broadband treatment

Hi, I've been researching this stuff quite a bit, and am ready to treat my home studio (used for both mixing and tracking). I plan to put corner traps in all 4 corners, and likely on some of the ceiling corners as well. My room dimensions are 20'4" x 11'2" x 7'5". My goal is to create a RFZ for the mix position, tame the room nodes for mixing, and minimize reflections from the ceiling when tracking live instruments.

So here's the questions I'm trying to answer:

1) In the corners I plan to use 3" IIG 6lb rockwool sheets (they don't have 4" locally) mounted diagonally. I've seen advice here stating that it should *NOT* be sealed along the wall edges but I'm unclear as to the why?

2) Do I need to double up (for 6") or is 3' adequate?

3) I considered a wider trap (probably 3') to create some additional airspace. Would this increase effectiveness?

4) Some of my ceiling corners don't have space for a 2' trap placed at a 45 deg angle. Will another angle (30 deg, etc) give me similar benefit?

5) I plan to build 7 panels to deal with reflections coming off my walls, ceiling, and angled ceiling. I'm planning to use the 3" woolboard with a sealed frame to create a 3" airspace. Is it critical that this space is airtight?

6) I plan to have 3 panels in a cloud on the ceiling, which will not only deal with reflections in the mix position, but will also be where I track instruments. Should I try to broaden my treatment range by increasing the depth of one of the panels (either by adding airspace or doubling layers)? I don't want to build one of Ethan's deep bass traps here, bc I'm primarily concerned with reflections here.

Thanks for any and all help, I appreciate it!
hazysonic
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Here is a picture of my space:

and here's a waterfall taken with an Oktava MK012 (cardiod) facing straight up at mix position:

8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
1) In the corners I plan to use 3" IIG 6lb rockwool sheets (they don't have 4" locally) mounted diagonally. I've seen advice here stating that it should *NOT* be sealed along the wall edges but I'm unclear as to the why?
Not sure what you mean here but they should not be right up against the wall but with an air gap between the panel and the wall. If straddling a panels the have the edges touch the 2 walls.
Quote:
2) Do I need to double up (for 6") or is 3' adequate?
I would if you can put cover the same amount of corner area. Generally speaking 4" for straddling corners is minimum you should use.

Quote:
3) I considered a wider trap (probably 3') to create some additional airspace. Would this increase effectiveness?
Straddling the corner? YES

Quote:
4) Some of my ceiling corners don't have space for a 2' trap placed at a 45 deg angle. Will another angle (30 deg, etc) give me similar benefit?
Sure

Quote:
5) I plan to build 7 panels to deal with reflections coming off my walls, ceiling, and angled ceiling. I'm planning to use the 3" woolboard with a sealed frame to create a 3" airspace. Is it critical that this space is airtight?
For tuned traps they have to be sealed but it sounds like you are making broadband bass traps.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
hazysonic
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks, I really appreciate the help!
hazysonic
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear interested

Just realized I had two questions numbered "5"--fixed.

@ Glenn: I found this post in this thread which makes it sound like it not only doesn't need to be airtight but it doesn't even need to be mounted on a frame to be be effective. Now I'm thinking to build my cloud and wall absorption into very minimal frame made of aluminum corner bead (like this). Just as effective? If so, it's surprising that there's so few people doing it this way---way cheaper and easier!

And question 6... Should I try to have variation in my cloud depth or will it work alright to have a 4' x 6' cloud mounted (hanging?) 3" off ceiling?
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
@ Glenn: I found this post in this thread which makes it sound like it not only doesn't need to be airtight but it doesn't even need to be mounted on a frame to be be effective. Now I'm thinking to build my cloud and wall absorption into very minimal frame made of aluminum corner bead (like this). Just as effective? If so, it's surprising that there's so few people doing it this way---way cheaper and easier!
Sure that will work.

Quote:
And question 6... Should I try to have variation in my cloud depth or will it work alright to have a 4' x 6' cloud mounted (hanging?) 3" off ceiling?
Either way will work. If it was me I would make one large cloud.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search