Login / Register

Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?
New Reply
Subscribe
mightygorgon
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear interested

Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?

Dear Gearslutz,

I have moved to a new house with a basement room of size 6.40 * 4.30 * 2.60 (21' * 14' * 8'6"). I would like to use this room for primarily mixing.

My intention is to install some initial treatment based on general principles to improve room acoustics. I have read lots of posts and articles on gearslutz, and I think I understand the "basics". Room size proportions are 1 * 1.6 * 2.4 and I have seen that it almost matches one of the recommended sizes in Roomcalc utility and some articles, which I happily found out.

I found a local shop that prepares 120 * 60 * 10cm absorbers and 30 * 30 * 120cm bass traps. The acoustic material that is used has 100 kg/m3 density for both.

So I have come up with an initial installation plan as shown in the pictures. I also plan to install two absorbers on top of mixing position.

Could you please comment if this would be a good way to start?
Attached Thumbnails
Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?-angle1.jpg   Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?-angle2.jpg   Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?-angle3.jpg   Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?-angle4.jpg  
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Guru

You are buying a finished product and they are not laying out the room for you? That seems a bit odd. Most well know acoustic companies work with there clients from start to finish.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

4m x 5m x 2.5m room - modal resonance problem

And a 30x30 (assuming the sides of the right triangle formed by corner mount in cm) panel is not going to do any damage to the lower order modes of your room. Even if assumed highly efficient pressure based absorbers (which they probably aren’t), they are simply too small in relation to the area involved with for example the first axial mode related to the length of the room. Another concern is the high density of the wool used in the panels (and also the relatively limited depth). I would strongly suggest that you at least bubble up the thickness of the panels (and possibly mount with an air gap to further increase the bass performance), and also lean about the appropriate flow resistivity (for the wool) needed: Porous Absorber Calculator

Need help to tune my control room. (First Measures Included)
1D diffusor - vertical or horizontal?
mightygorgon
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear interested

Thank you for your responses, highly appreciated.

No the company is just a manufacturer and has no such services.

After reading and trying to digest some more info, I ordered a Behringer ECM8000, looks like there's no escape from some more homework...

Also updated my initial plan as follows. 60 * 60 * 260 cm corner traps plus 60 * 120 * 20 cm traps around listening position. I intend to fill these with 50kg/m3 rockwool, that I found is sold quite cheap in 60 * 120 * 10 cm layers.

The IKEA bookshelf on back wall full of books will hopefully act as a natural diffuser too.
Attached Thumbnails
Good room size, what about the acoustic treatment?-untitled.jpg  
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightygorgon View Post
Thank you for your responses, highly appreciated.

No the company is just a manufacturer and has no such services.

After reading and trying to digest some more info, I ordered a Behringer ECM8000, looks like there's no escape from some more homework...

Also updated my initial plan as follows. 60 * 60 * 260 cm corner traps plus 60 * 120 * 20 cm traps around listening position. I intend to fill these with 50kg/m3 rockwool, that I found is sold quite cheap in 60 * 120 * 10 cm layers.

The IKEA bookshelf on back wall full of books will hopefully act as a natural diffuser too.
This is a better plan IMO. The thicker the better on the traps!

You might want to try out slats in front of some of the absorbers to keep some of the life in the room. Also, if your flooring is hard you might want to add panels or diffusors on the ceiling to prevent flutter echo. You said the room is primarily for mixing but if that means you might record every now and then you might want to think about treating the rear of the room for recording. Just a thought.

Lastly, a bookshelf will not give you any considerable amount of diffusion at all. We've written an article on our website about diffusion that considers this myth (along with others) here: How Diffusion Works - GIK Acoustics
You would be much better of with an actual diffusor installed at the rear wall!
mightygorgon
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear interested

I undertand, however the bookshelf has to stay to keep the books and other junk tidy, would you propose some other placement? I thought back of the room would be ideal for symmetry.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear maniac

Look here about HOW to diy treat a room:
Wall Units

edit:
http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/Titles/Acoustics2.htm
i agree with John: "Most home studio enthusiasts only seem to treat the high frequencies in the room yet it is the mid and low frequencies that cause all the room problems"

also:
"If you study the treatment for the low and mid frequencies you will notice that the high frequencies are not effected by this construction and it is possible to have a room where all frequencies have a similar reverberation time which is the idea of the whole exercise."

http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/index.htm

And when you made the acoustic measurements in your room, you will see that it is the longest reverb time in the low and mid. "the frequencies that cause all the room problems"
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear interested

In my estimation, you have the space (and the depth!) to do a really pro room but the acoustic treatment is not up to snuff. A true rear wall treatment with some worthwhile diffusion would really raise your game.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search