Need advice on constructing my practice studio
New Reply
Subscribe
qvplite
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Creative Edge Music

Need advice on constructing my practice studio

My bass player and I are building our own practice studio within some space we have access to where we can crank up the volume to 11 and be just fine. Awesome!

The best part is that we are literally designing and building the thing from the ground up. We're paying someone to do the actual construction, but what I'm really looking for advice on is design at this point.

Unfortunately, due to how the space is set up, we are stuck building a 20' x 15' rectangle. Yes, this is a lot of square footage (awesome, I know) for just one band, but I know non-parallel walls are ideal for combating bass modes and other frequency problems. We are able to put in a ceiling that is 8' high on one end and 10' high on the other, so presumably this will help a bit, but I'm hoping someone might know of a way to get our walls to be non-parallel within the rectangle that we're building.

I've considered simply hanging a bunch of 4" panels at an angle off of the wall, or even just leaning soundboard up against the wall at a slight angle on two of the walls. What do you guys think, though? Any ideas?

Aside from the fact that we're in a position to build the studio, our entire budget is pretty much going to be consumed by the construction, so we can't do anything too fancy.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think parallel walls are much of a problem that can't be dealt with other ways. Splaying can help minimize flutter echo, but modes are just a reality of the dimensions of a space.

http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

hunecke.de | Room Eigenmodes Calculator

If you don't need to build in a high level of isolation, you can focus on killing flutter, treating major modes and having the right mix of absorption, diffusion and reflection.

Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide - LOOK HERE!

Once you are actually building, I'd recommend learning to measure the space.

Can you go taller than 8 to 10' ?
qvplite
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Creative Edge Music

Budget won't allow us to go any higher. Materials cost goes up based on how dry wall is packaged / what sizes it comes in for certain prices.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
I don't think parallel walls are much of a problem that can't be dealt with other ways. Splaying can help minimize flutter echo, but modes are just a reality of the dimensions of a space.
+1
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to gullfo
i build a bunch of polys alongs the walls and corners with scattered absorption between them and on the ceilings. this will make a nice lively balanced space and allow you to build it easily.

www.runnel.com
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
i build a bunch of polys alongs the walls and corners with scattered absorption between them and on the ceilings. this will make a nice lively balanced space and allow you to build it easily.
+1, master my signtaure line, use Sketchup to develop and communicate your ideas and enjoy the results!

Andre

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search