Replacing my plaster walls
New Reply
Subscribe
thecan24
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Replacing my plaster walls

Hi everyone! I have a 2 room studio that was at one time years ago a garage. The live room is 12x20 with a slanted ceiling; one side is 8 ft tall, the other side is 10, with the angle running with the 12 foot-long sides. The walls are made of plaster with blow-in insulation. The ceiling is only 2 years old, and it has fiber insulation behind drywall behind drop ceiling panels screwed to the drywall. I recently had an electrical surge, and had to take all the equipment out (thankfully none of it was damaged) and now the room is virtually empty so I have the motivation to do some construction.

I want to replace my plaster walls because they are ugly, but I'm kind of broke. I'm willing to dish out the money, however, if its acoustically worth it. The room is somewhat treated, but I'm curious....

Should I even bother replacing the walls? Would I even notice a difference? Do I use fiber insulation and drywall? Other materials?

Thanks everyone!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Did someone just do a bad plaster job that's not correctable at low expense?
thecan24
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Kind of. I think they are very ugly and ultimately I'm trying to justify a reason for tearing them out and having nicer walls. I won't do it unless having the fiber insulation and drywall combo or something else will change the sonic quality of my room for the better though.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

I hope someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a significant acoustical advantage to tearing out your existing insulation and plaster wall to replace it with fiberglas insulation and drywall. If you are having problems with reflections in your space, you would typically put up acoustical panels inside the space to reduce them. The panels might cover over some of the ugly without tearing out your walls.

If you tear the plaster wall out for reasons of appearance, I think you'll still end up having to install acoustical treatment inside of your space.

If external sound is coming into your space from outside your existing walls, that presents a different matter of isolation which might require more drastic measures to correct (double stud walls of drywall/insulation/air space/insulation/drywall).
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

I"m a little hesitant to suggest this, as I'm not a acoustics guy by a long shot, but have done my share of drywall and hate it...so...there are many options for covering ugly walls from textured materials to types of tiles that may give you some slight acoustic advantages and would be less expensive and less work than building new walls. If as said, you need more isolation, then building new walls inside of the existing walls is still less work and mess and would give you a quieter space. A trip to the local lowe's or home depot might give you some ideas.
L.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search