Advice on my garage to studio conversion
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Advice on my garage to studio conversion

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone out there could help me with the following queries - thanks in advance for any help.

I'm converting my garage into a studio by basically building a second skin around what is currently there,

This second skin is gonna be made from a stud construction using cement particle board rather than drywall as it's external.

My builder wants to tie the stud to the original wall with steel brackets, i've asked him if he has to do this to attach these brackets to both the wall and the stud via 10mm neoprene at both ends- will this be a problem with transfer of vibrations from original wall to stud or will the neoprene help negate this?

We do have the problem of how to attach the cement board to the cavity facing side of the stud, it will be quite tricky working round the steel ties even if we make the stud wall in sections - would it make much of a difference if we attached the first layer of board directly to the original wall rather than the stud?

So it would go : Original brick masonry wall, Cement board attached - cavity - Rockwall filled stud,Double layer cement board.

rather than: Original brick masonry wall - cavity - Cement board, Rockwall filled stud,Double layer cement board

Or does anyone have anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks again for any advice it really is much appreciated!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search