Fixing Early Reflections off console
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Fixing Early Reflections off console

Based on a suggestion in the Mixing Audio book (Focus Press) I just tested my listening position for early reflections by playing a 1khz tone alternating between left & right. Initially, the sound seemed to be pretty much coming from the centre all the time :o with a level drop on the left.

When I placed a blanket over my console the problem was substantially fixed.

Obviously I can't mix like that, so what can I do ? I already have 6 foam tiles opposite my ears on each side wall, and on the ceiling, but anyway this seems to be console reflections.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Monitor & Mixing Desk Placement - Reflection Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Assuming all early reflections from nearby walls/ceiling have been dealt with; increasing the distance between the speaker and desk, raising the speakers (and if so, a slight tilt so the acoustic axis is still pointing towards the ears), minimizing the desk size and also tilting it, redirecting the reflection away from head height, are some measures one can do to minimize these early reflections.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Thanks but that thread is just full of name-calling and virtually no practical info ...
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Use the ETC to identify possible issues and to confirm if possible treatment/solutions work or not.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

I spotted the ER problem by ear, though I do use REW which has an ETC chart. The problem is I don't know how to interpret it - for one, I don't know what a "good" ETC should look like.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Here is my ETC ...
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing Early Reflections off console-etc.jpg  
Old 6th February 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjay View Post
I spotted the ER problem by ear, though I do use REW which has an ETC chart. The problem is I don't know how to interpret it - for one, I don't know what a "good" ETC should look like.
Well, you should get rid of those 4 peaks. Can't see what the time is in the graph because the scale is a bit large. Zoom in on the region up to 28 ms.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
Well, you should get rid of those 4 peaks. Can't see what the time is in the graph because the scale is a bit large. Zoom in on the region up to 28 ms.
Yes, I figured that much !

But so far, the only way I've managed to remove them is by placing a blanket over the console ... not exactly a viable solution.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Zoomed in a bit - does this explain any more ?
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing Early Reflections off console-etc-zoom.jpg  
Old 6th February 2013
The last two/three peaks are not very high in volume and meters away so that can't be the desk... so...... could you zoom in further to see below 10 ms?
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Oh, interesting. How about this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing Early Reflections off console-etc-bigzoom.jpg  
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

or this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing Early Reflections off console-etc-extrazoom.jpg  
Old 6th February 2013
The first "glob" at 1-2 ms is probably the desk and the one at 4 ms might be, that one is about 1,3 meters longer than the direct signal from the monitors. Can you move the speakers a bit further away from the desk? This might get the reflections to pass by you below ear level.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Thanks a lot Demor. Tomorrow, when I'm in the studio again, I'll push the speakers back a bit but then they'll be closer to the wall (currently 14inches away) so it's a balancing act.

Is it possible for you to guess how much I'd need to move the speakers back - we're talking a couple of inches are we ?

And you're saying that there is another reflection 1.3metres from the speaker ?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

You might be able to angle the entire console by raising the back of the legs. This should be considered carefully because of the weight.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
You might be able to angle the entire console by raising the back of the legs. This should be considered carefully because of the weight.
No, unfortunately not, it weighs a ton
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Guru

Reflections

Try reversing the phase of one speaker. Play Pink Noise. Listen for a null at the acoustic centre. It can be helpful to block one ear and listen with the other. The null is usually very precisely placed. It may not be where you expect it geometrically. If you have desk reflections causing problems, they can be seen as spikes on the ETC or quite vivid comb filtering. Chose your view. Either way the problem is fairly easily diminished by moving the speakers or angling the desk.
Desktop Reflection Revealed
DD
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjay View Post
No, unfortunately not, it weighs a ton
This doesn't mean it can't be done, it's just more complicated.
Old 6th February 2013
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search