How to stop radiator ringing/resonating?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

How to stop radiator ringing/resonating?

Can anyone help, please? I have just finished acoustically treating a room for mastering and it's great. Just one thing: the radiator (central heating) is resonating. Is there anything that I can use as a dampening material which will be OK on a heat source?

Your help will be very gratefully received!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypurser View Post
Can anyone help, please? I have just finished acoustically treating a room for mastering and it's great. Just one thing: the radiator (central heating) is resonating. Is there anything that I can use as a dampening material which will be OK on a heat source?

Your help will be very gratefully received!
we discuss this, couple of months ago, here: Acoustic damping for radiator

cheers!

Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

Thanks very much - I must have used the wrong search terms.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

It turns out that a double-layer of heavy towels is actually very effective!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear
I'd missed that earlier thread. I have used elastomeric foam to quiet aluminum and copper fins on radiators. It is a hassle to configure and mount but it works like a charm. Basically, I cut the foam at the fin spacing and then pushed it into place. I used 4 pieces of foam and put one on each side of the radiator.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

Ah, I will definitely pursue this idea - thanks! The towels work OK, but take the professional edge away from the room's appearance.

I'm not sure I understand exactly - would this kind of foam tape work, or would I need something thicker, please? Pack of 3 x Foam Insulation Tape 15M | eBay
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear
That product may work if you can get intimate contact between the parts of the radiator that are resonating. The stuff I used was cut from a large thick sheet of foam sort of like this:

Google Image Result for http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00OSIQgiZqETkm/Elastomeric-Foam-Sheet-Material.jpg

You want to be able to physically damp the vibrations and the what and how will depend on the design of the radiator - the dimensions and layout of the parts that are resonating. I've also seen people use foam pipe insulation used in residential construction where a thin donuts were cut and wedged between radiator fins. You don't want to impede air flow too much or it could interfere with heat transfer.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Ah, I understand now - thank you very much for your response, I will definitely get hold of suitable foam and try it out.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search