Room Measurements posted - help?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

Room Measurements posted - help?

Hi all.

I just got my hands on a pair of Focal Solo6BE's, so I decided to do some measurements. I want a great room, and who better to ask than you guys

I have some room to grow when it comes to treatment - I basically just have a ton of Auralex bass traps... (like I said, room to grow ).

I'm mainly a composer (although I love mixing and am quite picky) so I don't have a ton of money to spend on something like bass traps when I could be buying samples and upgrading my rig, but I'm curious if there's a relatively inexpensive way to make my room significantly better. I've been looking at the digital EQ's supported by RoomEQ Wizard, namely Behringer and DBX, but I'm not sure which to get (I'd like more than 2 bands....)

Everything is rounded to 1/12 oct. My SPL doesn't scare me too much here, although it seems like an issue from 300 Hz down, notably a wretched dip at 80 Hz that even EQ can't fix. What confuses me is the waterfall plot, because I don't know what to aim for. I know the Room EQ's won't fix waterfall response.

What do you all think? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Room Measurements posted - help?-2013-01-30-spl.jpg   Room Measurements posted - help?-2013-01-30-waterfall.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: wav 2013-01-30 Impulse.wav (256.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have some room to grow when it comes to treatment - I basically just have a ton of Auralex bass traps... (like I said, room to grow ).
One thing nice about buying a finished product is getting the personal acoustic consulting from the company you bought from. I would send them your REW file and have them help you out with placement of there treatment and over all set up of your mix spot. Let us know what they say.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
One thing nice about buying a finished product is getting the personal acoustic consulting from the company you bought from. I would send them your REW file and have them help you out with placement of there treatment and over all set up of your mix spot. Let us know what they say.
Hey Glenn. It's a coincidence you should post this; after all my research, GIK is the company I've been eyeballing for broadband absorption.

I can justify spending some money on traps. Your new Soffit traps look impressive. I basically need the best bang for my buck (but who doesn't) and I don't have too much room for traps.. the closest corner (desk to ceiling - about 5'6" of height to stack things, and 2' under the desk), behind my speakers on the desk & below on the floor against two walls. Attached is my REQ file. Feel free to PM if you'd rather.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Solo6Be 128k.mdat.zip (2.36 MB, 5 views)
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Guru

Steady

Old 4th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
The measurements don't look valid to me.
128K?
DD
Agreed.... Check your setting. The following video is a guide for set up.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics

Quote:
It's a coincidence you should post this; after all my research, GIK is the company I've been eyeballing for broadband absorption.
good deal.. I would recommend filling out the following form which will give us all the info we need.
Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the help guys.

I've watched the video (thanks Glenn! here is the proper link btw: Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics) made some new measurements... calibrated with an SPL meter and did 512k. Hopefully you like these more - they sure look better to me!
Attached Thumbnails
Room Measurements posted - help?-2013-02-09-spl-2.jpg   Room Measurements posted - help?-2013-02-09-waterfall-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: wav 2013-02-09 Impulse.wav (256.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Guru

Measuring

Much better, but the norm would be L R and L+R Measures.
Waterfalls are most interesting say 20-300 Hz and so on.
Knowing the room dimensions and materials the boundaries are made of we could calculate the likely modes and so on.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...er-v2-1-a.html
The smaller Auralex foam bass wedges are not big enough to be useful.
MegaLenrds or StudioTips SuperChunks or thick panels straddling four corners floor to ceiling would be a decent start.
DD
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Guru

Much better test. Things look pretty good but still a lot of decay below 50hz or so. Honestly the upper frequencies are getting to the point of over absorbing so (since you are eye balling our products) I would recommend either our Scopus Tuned Traps or our FRL Wedge. The Wedge is not on the web site but basically it is broadband in nature but has a range of 40hz or so to around 300hz. Which will keep the upper frequencies alive. Not sure of your budget so you would have to let me know on that. Needless to say though I would think 6 to 10 of the FRL would do the job.

If you are going to DIY then I would think about something tuned or large corner filled with a slat design on front to help retain as much upper energy as possible.
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Head

Thanks again guys.

I took off some of my thinner traps to let the high-end breathe a bit, and now my results are much smoother (see attached).

With these I'm thinking about broadband absorption in the corners (which is basically the only place I have to put absorption).
Attached Thumbnails
Room Measurements posted - help?-2013-02-09-spl-3.jpg   Room Measurements posted - help?-2013-02-09-waterfall-3.jpg  
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Guru

If you go with Broadband you are going to have to make them REALLY thick to hit that decay below 50hz and cover quite a bit of corner space.
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Head

I was looking at your Soffit traps... is that the way to go, considering I have a very limited amount of space for traps?
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antibalas HiFi View Post
I was looking at your Soffit traps... is that the way to go, considering I have a very limited amount of space for traps?
Going to take a good amount to solve that 40hz problem. I would recommend sending me an email through my company website or give me a call on Monday to go over your room.
Contact - GIK Acoustics
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search