DIY Desk Build
New Reply
Subscribe
homestudioguy
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

DIY Desk Build

Just built this for a friend who lives in town.
Used build plans and just added a 72" wide "desktop" (Glued Panel) instead of 60". (Had to increase depth from 24" to 27 1/2" for Mackie)
Used Aspen instead of Pine for Monitor Shelf and Desktop and it was still under $100 without the staining and finishing products.
Friend added the Keyboard Tray after I was done.

30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Well done!

I am not a master carpenter, but this seems like it doesn't contain any fancy routing or curved surfaces. is the base standard 2x4 (2x6?) stained black? How did you determine the dimensions and angles to make sure it stays balanced at all times? without any guidance, i would just assume that you make sure that the floor legs extend to either the very edge or only 6" shy of it... yes?

I've always been interested in building something like this for my home, and building rack rails into it... my home setup is crammed in a VERY small space, and I'd like to reorganize!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Desk Build-img_1176.jpg  

Hardware: Korg Polysix, Korg Microkorg, Korg Monotribe, Korg MS-20mini, DSI Prophet 08, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Waldorf Blofeld, Moog Slim Phatty, Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra

Software: Propellerhead Reason 7, Ableton Live 9 Suite, Nuendo 4, NI Maschine

Softies: uHE Diva, ACE, NI Massive, Razor, FM8, Korg Legacy Collection, OP-X Pro II, Morgana, Kontakt, Arturia Prophet V, MinimoogV, Jupiter V, Arp2600V, CS-80V, Emulator X
homestudioguy
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
I am not a master carpenter, but this seems like it doesn't contain any fancy routing or curved surfaces. is the base standard 2x4 (2x6?) stained black? How did you determine the dimensions and angles to make sure it stays balanced at all times? without any guidance, i would just assume that you make sure that the floor legs extend to either the very edge or only 6" shy of it... yes?

I've always been interested in building something like this for my home, and building rack rails into it... my home setup is crammed in a VERY small space, and I'd like to reorganize!
I like those Event Monitors!! Nice.
2X6s and 2X4s are used throughout.
I used Ebony Stain on the lower portion of my friends desk.
On mine, shown in the signature, I used black paint.
I'll send you a PM.
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

That looks really nice and not over the top so people like me can make it. I actually have basically the same setup, desk and top shelf but my shelf is held up by some blown monitors which take up about 10 in of space on each side, but my mixer slides in between. I likely will just come up with a better solution but if I ever build a desk (myself), I will remember this.
homestudioguy
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry for not responding to this earlier.
Life has been crazy this first quarter 2013.

TO: JIMMY K: Base uses 2X6s and 2X4s. Degree of all angled cuts are the same for simplicity. The Support Legs are centered appropriately for good support but not too wide. The Plans provide a basic build model that MANY have modified for their own needs, available floor space, equipment and so on

Here are some Photos of desks etc built by others who have used my Build Plans...
There are more photos on my website.
BELOW FROM USA

BELOW FROM USA

BELOW FROM MALAYSIA

BELOW FROM SCOTLAND/UK
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search