Wall that I CAN'T treat...
New Reply
Subscribe
imacgreg
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Wall that I CAN'T treat...

I have a little production/design area in a garage and have recently decided to re-arrange things in an effort to improve the sound there. I've noticed really poor response anywhere below 100hz or so, which makes doing anything music related very tricky.

The "room" is a 15'x15' garage with a 10-12' ceiling. One of the walls has two garage doors, one which is used to enter the room and another which remains closed at all times.

My main question is: giving that I can't treat the garage-door wall, am I better off placing speakers close to the doors facing into the room, or against the opposite wall facing the doors?

Put another way, is it more important to treat the wall behind the speakers, or in behind the listening position?
Twitter
Standard Audio - Home of the Level-Or, 500 series Level-loc inspired limiter and the 500 Series Stretch.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
is it more important to treat the wall behind the speakers, or in behind the listening position?
It's much more important to treat the wall behind you, because that's a main source of reflections. Put another way, which way do your speakers send sound?

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
It's much more important to treat the wall behind you, because that's a main source of reflections. Put another way, which way do your speakers send sound?

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. My original position was with speakers facing the garage doors, as this makes more sense from a room-setup point of view.

Something I noticed is that while I could barely tell what was going on at say, 60Hz from the listening position, if I was close to the back wall (garage doors) I could hear tons of low end.

Would it then follow that by placing the speakers close to the garage-doors, and then bass trapping the back wall would help my low end problem?

Thanks for your help..
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Nulls as you describe are typical, and bass trapping everywhere in the room will help! Not just here or there.

--Ethan
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
jwl
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
Just as an aside, you can easily treat the garage door wall by using traps on stands, something like these:
imacgreg
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

OK. So I've dug back into this after moving my listening position and putting a bunch of 244 traps on the back wall. I also could tell that there was an issue at 40hz and so I ordered and mounted some of the GIK tuned 40Hz traps on the side walls. That is where I noticed the most level while playing a 40hz sine in the room and poking my head around.

Here are measurements taken today. Also included a couple pics front of room and a panorama of the back.

It looks like I still have something bad going on at 35Hz or so. What products/techniques out there are used for something that low? One thing I have considered is replacing many of the 244s I have on the back wall with Monster traps instead. But would that do much down there at 35hz?
Attached Thumbnails
Wall that I CAN'T treat...-batcave-wf_4413_listening-position.png   Wall that I CAN'T treat...-batcave-fr_4413_listening-position.jpg   Wall that I CAN'T treat...-image.jpg   Wall that I CAN'T treat...-photo.jpg  
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Guru

35hz is not easy to tackle and the room being square makes it twice as hard. You can see the test I did in our test room that is 17 feet long and used 10 of the T40s.
GIK or Realtraps?

Drop us a line and lets see if we can get you sitting in a spot that minimizes the peak.
imacgreg
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
35hz is not easy to tackle and the room being square makes it twice as hard. You can see the test I did in our test room that is 17 feet long and used 10 of the T40s.
GIK or Realtraps?

Drop us a line and lets see if we can get you sitting in a spot that minimizes the peak.
Oh wow, that's a very interesting test you did there. I had noticed that I really hadn't seen many products out there that addressed very sub frequencies, other than your tuned traps.

It looks like one available option is to get a lot more of the 40Hz tuned traps and place them on the sides and back wall?

Or is this the point where I look into rolling my own massive trap on the back and side walls?

I suppose the symptom that I'm experiencing is less of an "unbalanced" frequency response, and more of a "I can tell there's low end, but it's very hard to pin down exactly what is going on". Seems like having such a long decay time that low could cause that. Does that follow your experience in your room test?
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Guru

A lot of things come into to play in different rooms. I really think before you just put in more T40s you contact us and lets go over your WHOLE room. It might be a combo of that large thick trap you are talking about and more of the T40s.
Like I said you have a lot going on in that room so we need to sort it out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search