Login / Register

How to improve my set-up (Soundproofing?)
New Reply
Subscribe
Gamepsyched
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear interested

How to improve my set-up (Soundproofing?)

Despite me thinking "Gearslutz" was a forum for beefy steroid users, I finally clicked on a link to find out it was a recording forum ... Just what I needed too

I currently just record hip-hop vocals and have recently gained access to a spare room. So I took a trip to long an mcquaide and bought myself some nice equipment .

What I didn't do was take the time to research Acoustics and how to set myself up sooo that's where you guys come in.

My Setup:
Audio technica 4047/SV, Audiobox 22VSL, Mac Pro, Logic Pro 9 and some YSM 5 monitor speakers (Which I cant setup for the life of me any help[ on how to get sound out of these would be appreciated)

Here are some pics i'm looking on ways i could improve soundproofing/acoustics wise for vocals

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for any help in advance.
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

What are the dimensions of the room?

Width

Length

Ceiling height

Don't buy foam!!!! you can do it better for cheaper and it will look/sound more pro
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
Gamepsyched
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear interested

Well I don't need it perfect but is the blanket behind me sufficient? I've heard packing blankets
Gamepsyched
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear interested

So is where i placed the blanket good? I'm not looking to shell out alot of money. And not looking to be professional . But is the combo of the VOXGUARD and the Blanket behind good?
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

It's pretty good for sucking out the high frequencies - however it will do nothing for low frequencies, and pretty much nothing for mids.... so as long as the only person singing is a female vocalist who always works in the higher range you should be pretty much all set.

Rod
Gamepsyched
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear interested

Well since im not female Nor have shrunken buddies, What could I do to improve around that area.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Read the posts above my post -Glenn provided you with 3 links to give you the info you seek.

And above that was a request for room info - which is important to help anyone in this regard.

BTW - just so there is no confusion - what needs to be done to reach your goal is dependent on what you are willing to settle for - if you wish to do this without investing much in the way of money - be prepared to make little in the way of gains as far as your sound goes.

There is little to be achieved in this regard on the cheap.

Rod
Gamepsyched
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
Read the posts above my post -Glenn provided you with 3 links to give you the info you seek.

And above that was a request for room info - which is important to help anyone in this regard.

BTW - just so there is no confusion - what needs to be done to reach your goal is dependent on what you are willing to settle for - if you wish to do this without investing much in the way of money - be prepared to make little in the way of gains as far as your sound goes.

There is little to be achieved in this regard on the cheap.

Rod
Yeah that's what i wanted to know. On average to start a amateur setup just for vocals what would be a ballpark figure?
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

you need to get a few yards of fabric.

a pack of Ruxol Insulation from home depot - $45

a few pieces of 1"x4" pine at 8' long

borrow a chop saw, a staple gun and a screw gun.

and give me the dimensions of the room. I can help you but I need to know the actual size of the room. I can't do it without the numbers. there are Calculus and trig formulas that I need to calculate.

This is part of what I do for a living.

(picture didn't come through)

and then you need to spit on a verse for me or something HAHAHA

Last edited by Bellico; 22nd January 2013 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: I didn't load the picture right
Gamepsyched
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellico View Post
you need to get a few yards of fabric.

a pack of Ruxol Insulation from home depot - $45

a few pieces of 1"x4" pine at 8' long

borrow a chop saw, a staple gun and a screw gun.

and give me the dimensions of the room. I can help you but I need to know the actual size of the room. I can't do it without the numbers. there are Calculus and trig formulas that I need to calculate.

This is part of what I do for a living.

(picture didn't come through)

and then you need to spit on a verse for me or something HAHAHA
Sweet ill grab my laser measure from work tommoro (Cause who wants to take ALLLL that work to extend a tape measurer) and will get you the dimensions. Not to the right of my Work desk with monitor speakers and comp is a 4x4 Sauna directly in the corner. Im not sure if that gunna totally **** me but well see
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

You may want to think about making the panels 2'x6' (2" thick) and hing them together. You can use them as gobos (screen) around the talent when recording, then when not recording fold them up and put them in corners as bass traps. Kind of like the following.
GIK Acoustics Screen Gobo Panel - GIK Acoustics
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

Here is a basic layout of how I build panels. Since I replied on this post I have gotten a few requests for help so I figured that sketching this out will help. I will start a thread soon with more detailed and advanced panel construction. But here is my basic design.

SAFETY FIRST!!!
Wear a mask, safety glasses and gloves at all times.
Avoid lacerations, punctures and general dismemberment.

The thickness can vary from 2" to 4"

I usually go with 2.5" - 3" thick for most.

Instead of hinges I suggest industrial velcro tabs attached to the back on the sides so you can velcro them together easily to build a sound wall AKA gobo.

once you get me the room size I can help you with the sizes.

22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

Here is one finished with a nice floral pattern.

Chicks dig flowers
Gamepsyched
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellico View Post

Here is a basic layout of how I build panels. Since I replied on this post I have gotten a few requests for help so I figured that sketching this out will help. I will start a thread soon with more detailed and advanced panel construction. But here is my basic design.

SAFETY FIRST!!!
Wear a mask, safety glasses and gloves at all times.
Avoid lacerations, punctures and general dismemberment.

The thickness can vary from 2" to 4"

I usually go with 2.5" - 3" thick for most.

Instead of hinges I suggest industrial velcro tabs attached to the back on the sides so you can velcro them together easily to build a sound wall AKA gobo.

once you get me the room size I can help you with the sizes.

Care to elaborate on dimensions for those panels? and avoiding dismemberment is KEY!

And what about infront of the singer (Behind the mic) do i need anything there. I've heard mixed reviews about voxguard should I just scrap it, Personally i see a huge difference with it
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

Again, I need to know your ceiling height and dimensions to know for sure what sizes would work best.

For walls I generally Make them at 2' wide and 4" feet tall unless the ceilings are very high.

For corner vertical bass traps I would make them 12" - 16" wide and 7'-8' tall depending on the room size and preference.

I will post another couple of pictures in a few. I have to draw them.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

Here are some ideas of what to do for room treatment. These techniques are for tailoring the acoustics of your room for recording and mixing music. They do not substitute for sound proofing. However they will help to tighten and isolate the sound source for clarity and tone.

If your problem is sound coming through the walls then some other things would need to be done as well. but as you are mainly just doing vocals building a vocal booth that can be broken down is not very difficult.

building wall panels and bass traps.

the basic room placements are like this. for this i would be mixing in the long field of the rooms direction. I think that is what I gathered from the pictures.

you can use the Panels to build a vocal booth like so...

and staple velcro on to them so you can velcro them together like this

I you wanted to go further the next step would be panels on the ceiling AKA sound clouds...

Same basic construction as the panels but 4'x4' depending on the room size that might change. You want to run cross members like in the bass traps. 16" on center.

When I do my thread I will post details on slat diffusion panels and corner trapping as well.

if you have questions as to how many it all depends on room size. There is a ton of info in the Tips and techniques section for how to figure that out.

I often have people who want to enhance their door. Building a panel big enough to fit on the back of the door helps considerably. just remember to leave a notch for the handle.

Building them yourself can save you thousands... trust me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search