Room EQ Wizard Woes
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

Room EQ Wizard Woes

Hey all,

I'm trying to run a test on my room using my MacBook Pro, the Behringer ECM8000 mic, and my RME Babyface. Every time I run a calibration or room measurement, I get an alert saying "Impulse Peak is not where it should be". I'm following the GiK acoustics REW tutorial to the T, but getting this alert every time. Any suggestions?
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Has to do with OSX and Java.

If you have an external preamp, hook the output directly to the line-in of the Mac (ie, skip the audio interface).
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

well that's lame, thanks for the response though! I only have the RME Babyface in addition to the built in sound. So should I try to run the mic into my 1/8" line in via my XLR->1/8" converter cable and just use built in sound?
Old 1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Use the in/out 1/8" jacks. Yes, it's lame.
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

Will fuzz measure pro allow me to use my interface? Built in input won't allow for phantom power on my mic
Old 1st January 2013
yes, you have the option to choose the in/out with FuzzMeasure
there is a free demo and i believe it's fully functional...
there is even a 'getting started' link that gives a brief intro to setting it up...
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Guru

Fuzz

The problem with Mac/Java seems to be concentrated on the Input side.
You might be able to achieve proper REW playback with your RME. If you can extract an insert or other analogue output from the preamp you could input that to the Mac Line In. Maybe even Digi Optical.

I have never found an interface problem with FM. Should be fine with the RME.
In any case- Go for a simple setup at least initially. Ignore Loopback Correction, and use a long sweep, 10S or more, rather than multiple short ones.

Happy New Year, DD
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

Cool, thanks all, I'll give fuzz measure a go
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Guru

I need to get myself a mac, try running REW and just do a video on that itself. Sorry you had problems.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I need to get myself a mac, try running REW and just do a video on that itself. Sorry you had problems.
I had trouble with REW on my mac as well. I downloaded the demo from Fuzzmeasure and used that. Glenn, it would be great if you guys did a mac video!!
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Guru

I/O

I did a Loopback on an iMac to test the quality of the I/O
It was flat within 0.00X of a dB 20-20K. The quality of these onboard soundcards is well capable of acoustic measurement.
The new combined USB mics seem like a good idea too. I would like to hear of readers experiences with them. e.g. the Dayton Omnimic or UMIK-1
DD
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
I would like to hear of readers experiences with them. e.g. the Dayton Omnimic or UMIK-1
DD
I use the Dayton Omnimic, what do you want to know?
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Guru

Quiet

I am thinking of buying either the Dayton UMM6 or the MiniDSP UMIK-1. I am curious as to how noisy they are. I believe the Behringer is quite bad in that respect. The USB mics, having a fixed hardware gain, due to the built in DAC, might be a disadvantage.
DD
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
I am thinking of buying either the Dayton UMM6 or the MiniDSP UMIK-1. I am curious as to how noisy they are. I believe the Behringer is quite bad in that respect. The USB mics, having a fixed hardware gain, due to the built in DAC, might be a disadvantage.
DD
If you want a measurement file or something else I will try to provide it for you. I did have some noise problems, but part of it was the software inputs being set too low.

My ETC measurements noise floor bottom out around -60db. But on waterfalls, I see what appears to be noise around -45db. The Cal file is nice though
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

+1 on the mac video... Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search