JoshMoose
Thread Starter
#1
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 
JoshMoose's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Speaker Placement

Hey Everyone,

I'm working on tuning my control room. Everything I've read so far says to first: "find the best listening place in the room" then second: "place your speakers"

Am I missing something or...?? To me this sounds like "Find the place to watch your TV then move the TV"

Also, what are some good starting points?

My room is 141" wide 150" Long and a couple inches over 6' high.
#2
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 

Lightbulb

#3
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 

JoshMoose
Thread Starter
#4
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #4
Gear Head
 
JoshMoose's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hey guys thanks for the replies!

Glenn, I've been talking to Bryan Pape he said to have my mix position on the opposite wall, but thats not my question.

Ethan, I have this question because of your article you linked me too! haha. I was reading it already.

Maybe I worded it bad, let me try again....

Ethan, your article says to find the best sounding spot for the mix position THEN place the speakers. I don't understand how you can do that when you have to place the speakers somewhere to to listen for the best mix position.

Where do I start?

-Josh Moose
#5
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMoose View Post
Hey Everyone,
[...]
Everything I've read so far says to first: "find the best listening place in the room" then second: "place your speakers"

Am I missing something or...??

To me this sounds like "Find the place to watch your TV then move the TV"
[...]

Yep. (You ARE missing something):

What you're missing is that the picture on your TV does NOT look totally different (with different color qualities, for instance) when you move it around the room.

Believe it or not, a whole lot of what you hear from your monitors is NOT directly from the monitor to your ears!

I know its hard to believe, but in fact the lion's share of what you hear has bounced around the room first.

...Therefore the acoustic qualities of the room come into play in a major way; so much so that the qualities of the room can actually have MORE EFFECT upon your ability to do a decent mix than might even your choice of monitors!
.
Quote
1
#6
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMoose View Post
your article says to find the best sounding spot for the mix position THEN place the speakers. I don't understand how you can do that when you have to place the speakers somewhere to to listen for the best mix position. Where do I start?
You can start almost anywhere. In a room the size of yours, I'd start with the speakers 3 or maybe 4 feet apart.

--Ethan
#7
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
  #7
Gear addict
 

Hi Josh!

Take a look at this thread.

It descibes several methods for finding speaker and listening positions.
Read carefully... a lot of information

Happy testing!

Cheers
JoshMoose
Thread Starter
#8
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #8
Gear Head
 
JoshMoose's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post

Yep. (You ARE missing something):

What you're missing is that the picture on your TV does NOT look totally different (with different color qualities, for instance) when you move it around the room.

Believe it or not, a whole lot of what you hear from your monitors is NOT directly from the monitor to your ears!

I know its hard to believe, but in fact the lion's share of what you hear has bounced around the room first.

...Therefore the acoustic qualities of the room come into play in a major way; so much so that the qualities of the room can actually have MORE EFFECT upon your ability to do a decent mix than might even your choice of monitors!
.
12ax7, I understand all of this that is why I'm working on tuning my room haha. My question is how do you place the speakers to find the best spot in the room AFTER you find the best spot in the room? That doesn't make sense to me. My analogy with the TV was saying that if you move your chair to find the best place to watch the TV THEN move the TV, you're not sitting in the best spot anymore.

Ethan - Thank you for your help!

akebrake - You're thread is awesome! I still have a lot of reading!

-Josh Moose
JoshMoose
Thread Starter
#9
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #9
Gear Head
 
JoshMoose's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Put the mix spot facing the 141" wall and start with seating spot around 38% of the room length. From there try moving forward or back to see if the response is better.
Positioning the Listening Spot - GIK Acoustics
Glenn, I'm sorry, I watched your video again and I misunderstood what you and the video was saying. When you say FACE you mean where the speakers are "looking" at.

-Josh Moose
#10
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMoose View Post
Glenn, I'm sorry, I watched your video again and I misunderstood what you and the video was saying. When you say FACE you mean where the speakers are "looking" at.

-Josh Moose
You are facing the short wall when sitting at the mix spot. The video shows the layout.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dave Martin / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
16
seth666 / Live Sound
21
Waylon / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
13
Mark Wheaton / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
7
Killahurts / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
10

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.