plumbing/water noise from upstairs ?
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

plumbing/water noise from upstairs ?

I'm going to be moving into a basement home this year(as soon as we sell my current home). I plan on remodeling the basement for my studio.

When I was at the home, checking out the basement, one of my children upstairs flushed a toilet, and I could hear A LOT of water noise in the walls as the flush completed.

Will decoupling the ceiling and walls in the basement eliminate the plumbing noise from upstairs?

I've researched plenty on decoupling, and I have Rod's book,... I've just never heard anyone mention upstairs to downstairs plumbing/water noise before, and how to eliminate it.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Marc,

Isolating from water noise is no different than isolating from any other air born transmission. The possible exception would be for pipes that rattle as water passes through in which case impact transmission may also be involved.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
Marc,

Isolating from water noise is no different than isolating from any other air born transmission. The possible exception would be for pipes that rattle as water passes through in which case impact transmission may also be involved.
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing,.. it seemed logical... just wanted to make sure.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Guru

The best thing to do is to replace the sewer pipes with cast iron and then double-sheet-rock around where they are routed.

-tINY

Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

The best thing to do is to replace the sewer pipes with cast iron and then double-sheet-rock around where they are routed.

-tINY

Hadn't considered replacing the sewer pipes,... I'll check into the cost involved. I was thinking that it would also be logical to find out where the "noisiest" wall(s) are, and definitely double the sheet rock layers there,.. so looks like I was on the right track.

This basement also has a full bath, located almost in the center of the basement. I'm considering moving the entire bath to one side, and making it a half bath only, in that I don't really need a tub/shower in the studio.

The cost's may out weight the benefit though, especially since this will be a "part time" studio,... at least until I can retire from my full time gig, if ever with this economy!

Marc
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Guru

unfortunately, most of the really effective things for quiet homes are spendy.

-tINY

Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
I was thinking that it would also be logical to find out where the "noisiest" wall(s) are, and definitely double the sheet rock layers there,.. so looks like I was on the right track.
Well to an extent this may or may not help depending on the issues involved.

For example - if the issue is a structural transmission caused by the fact that the pipe(s) are in physical contact with structure - the "solution" you speak of may well be a cost that provides little (perhaps even no) improvement. In that case the solution would be to providing the required decoupling of pipe to structure prior to installing additional applications. I would also point out that in this case the substitution of one pipe for another is no guarantee of success either.

You really do need to make certain you positively identify the cause and solve for that specifically before attempting further applications meant to mitigate the problem..

Structural borne transmissions will sometimes amaze you with both the distance they travel as well as the clarity of the transmission over those distances. Adding mass to the building's structure (in the form of drywall) under those conditions will only cost you money - they will not solve the problem.

Rod
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search