Login / Register

Why does one have a better STC than the other?
New Reply
Subscribe
gravyface
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Why does one have a better STC than the other?

Looking into feasibility of converting a detached garage into a one-room studio. What I'm grappling with right now is what to do with the existing exterior 2 x 4 stud wall (12" on center) with wood lap siding. I'd like to achieve 50 STC (neighbours are 40' away in either direction) from a sound proofing perspective and keep it as insulated as possible for heating/cooling.

While waiting for Rod's book to arrive, I saw this page and was wondering what makes the second construction design superior to the first one:
Safe'n'Sound Ratings

Anyone?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Pretty much the stud spacing for the final drywall attachment - all other things being equal - a wood framed wall with RC will be about the same level of isolation as a light gauge steel stud given the same spacing - as the spacing increases you get a benefit in LF isolation levels.

Rod
gravyface
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
Pretty much the stud spacing for the final drywall attachment - all other things being equal - a wood framed wall with RC will be about the same level of isolation as a light gauge steel stud given the same spacing - as the spacing increases you get a benefit in LF isolation levels.

Rod
Thanks Rod. Do you think it's worth it in terms of R-value and STC to going with a "partial" double leaf design?

i.e. adding insulation between existing exterior studs + air gap + interior studded wall, insulation, and two layers of 5/8" dry wall to complete the double-leaf design? Assuming the exterior wood lap siding/plywood is equivalent to two layers of 5/8" drywall, I should be in the neighbourhood of ~60 STC according to various charts on leaf design I've seen.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search